“Quiet stay at a convenient hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #35 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Racine, Wisconsin
“Quiet stay at a convenient hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

As a platinum Marriott traveler, I try to stay loyal to the brand, but I do enjoy changing it up on occasion within the Marriott family. Case in point, my recent Courtyard stays in Columbia. Location is very convenient and parking was easy and free. I was greeted warmly, thanked for my loyalty and upgraded to a suite. Again...very nice. The night was super quiet and everything in the room was clean and in good working order. The internet wireless signal was strong and I had no problems. Next morning, I was off to work quickly with no issues. I actually like this place better than the Marriott flagship a few blocks away. If you are looking for good value and a safe, quiet night. Consider the Courtyard Downtown by USC.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Holly P, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review on TripAdvisor about our Courtyard by Marriott Downtown at USC. I am very glad that you found our location convenient and that the parking was complimentary and easy to access. I look forward to sharing your thoughtful comments with our entire team. We take great pride in the service we provide you and are delighted to hear such great comments. Thank you again for the review and thank you for being a Platinum Elite. We look forward to serving you again soon on your next trip to Columbia, SC!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Fort Mill, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Have stayed at this location several times while visiting students at USC. Great location and has all the amenities of a Courtyard. Near campus and restaurants. Would certainly recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Holly P, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Thank you for choosing the Courtyard Downtown at USC. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that we are your preferred place to stay when traveling to Columbia. I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel to let others know about our close proximity to USC and to the Vista area. I look forward to sharing your comments with our team. We thank you again and look forward to serving you again soon!

Warmest Regards,
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

I am a Marriott Platinum member so I stay at a lot of Marriott properties. This was one of the best I have stayed at in a long time. I had noticed that their website indicated that renovations might be ongoing, but I did not see any signs of it. I never checked out the pool or fitness center, but it appeared that the lobby area had been completely renovated and was very attractive. We were in town for a University of South Carolina tour and this property was very convenient for that as it is just off campus. The room was clean and comfortable. I did hear the trains that have been mentioned, but they did not disturb me and I am a light sleeper. We were on a high floor so they may have helped. If I had to find a complaint it would be that the spaces in the parking garage were a little tight, but they were not atypical of an urban hotel. All of the the staff were very friendly and Kim at the front desk was extremely helpful. I noticed that occupancy level was pretty low and asked for a very late checkout. My request was granted without hesitation, which was great because we were able to grab a quick shower, after a hot day of walking on campus, before checking out. I would highly recommend this property and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor to help mitigate train noise
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
We appreciate you posting your comments on Trip Advisor for other future guests to read. We have a lot of guests who stay with us because we are right in the heart of the USC campus and it makes it very convenient to all of USC and Downtown locations. Thank you for your wonderful feedback and I am so glad that the city sounds did not disrupt your stay. I am very sorry that our garage is tight but wanted to mention that we have a third level on the top that is open air and the spaces are more spacious than those in the garage. Thanks again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Kindest Regards,

Lafayette, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights for business on the USC campus. You could walk to campus, but considering the hot weather, I was glad I had a rental car. Hotel was very nice. There were renovations going on but I never was disturbed by them in my room, most likely because I gone throughout the day. I was given a king suite, which I did not ask for, but was a pleasant surprise. Bathroom was very small, but up-to-date. Comfortable bed. Parking garage is very tight, larger vehicles will have a problem getting in and out of spaces. The front desk staff was very helpful and very nice. This is a great place and I will stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback regarding your 4 night stay with us while traveling to Columbia, SC. We are happy to see there were a number of things that you were pleased with. We certainly appreciate the positive feedback on the service provided by our staff. I am also pleased to hear that you were not disturbed by our renovation that we are currently undergoing. We look forward to having a finished product in the early fall! Thank you again for taking the time to review our property. We look forward to serving you again soon!!

Charlotte
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

In my opinion, this hotel is the best place to stay when in the downtown Columbia area or visiting USC. Staff are very friendly and professional. Lobby is clean and pretty, and the rooms are very nice and comfortable. I originally chose this hotel to stay in because there is no parking fee which is rare for a downtown locale. This is my "go to" place when visiting the Columbia area!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Holly P, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review on TripAdvisor. I was thrilled to read that you think our hotel is the best place to stay in Downtown Columbia. I am excited to share your comments with our team. They will love that you recognized their professionalism and friendliness. The housekeeping staff will also enjoy your comments regarding the property's cleanliness as they take great pride in providing each guest with perfect room accommodations.

We are so glad we are your "go to" place while visiting Columbia. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to serving you again very soon.

Warmest Regards,

mount laurel, nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Clean and comfortable. Airport shuttle very quick. Lobby bar was nice with friendly staff. Got an upgraded room - quite comfortable. Front desk very polite and helpful.
Only negative is location close to a busy rail line with frequent trains at night. Horn sounded like it was in the next room.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for posting your such wonderful comments on TripAdvisor. It was such a pleasure to read that you enjoyed our property...from the quick airport shuttle, nice lobby bar with a friendly staff, and the very polite and helpful front desk. I am also glad to hear you enjoyed your upgrade that was clean and comfortable. Thank you for choosing the our Courtyard Downtown at USC and we hope to serve you again soon!

Best Regards,
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Loved the staff, they went out of their way for us. The waitress Sarah was the best for breakfast along with the young man who made the omelets ( sorry didn't get your name. ) She would come by and talk to us and wait on us even when we weren't her table. The " Egg Guy" didn't say much but made a great omelet and brought it out with a smile. The room was okay, very large but the sofa bed was not really usable. The rest of the staff would ask repeatedly if they could do anything for us. They were great. Only complaint was the noise level-the trains were heard day and night-I was told this would be a problem from any hotel around the area.

Room Tip: As far away from the train as possible
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for posting on TripAdvisor. It was a pleasure to read that Sarah, "Egg Guy", and all other staff you encountered were able to provide you with great service. Our goal is to provide an exceptional experience for our guests and I am delighted you were able to experience it. I apologize for the train that runs through the city. Thank you for again for your feedback and for choosing the our Courtyard while visiting Columbia. We hope you can visit with us again soon.

Best Regards,

Holly Penny

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Downtown at USC? Share your experiences!