“Great return visit” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 92 hotels in Columbia
Highlands, NC
“Great return visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

I have always found the rooms, front desk and food great. Wonderful location. I highly recommend it! Everyone makes you feel comfortable like home. The only thing is parking is tight ... Go to the third floor, much better
Come visit and have a great stay

• Stayed September 2013
932ChrisJ, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Thank you for being such a loyal guest to our hotel. We appreciate your business and we are delighted to hear that you enjoy your visit each time you stay. If there is anything we can do to make your next visit extra special, please let us know!

117 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

The location, service, and staff were great. I appreciated the free parking. The edifice itself is definitely showing wear and tear in the room. However, the linens were clean. (I appreciate bedding and duvets that get laundered.). The shower was great. The breakfast buffet was a great value.

• Stayed September 2013
932ChrisJ, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for staying and sharing your feedback. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit. I will congratulate the team on a job well done.

You mention that the hotel is showing it's age; I am very pleased to say that we will be going through some changes in 2014 that will definitely help in this area. I hope that you will come back and visit us to see the changes!

Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to our next opportunity to serve you!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Stayed here one night with my wife. We live in Columbia but we got this room through an auction... enjoyed the evening Downtown very good breakfast in the morning parking was a bit of a hassle but overall a good experience. Pillows too soft.

• Stayed August 2013
932ChrisJ, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for submitting your feedback! We enjoyed having you in our hotel and are glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit. Your feedback is always appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Clayton, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

This is an ideal location near to USC. The staff is very friendly. There are many restaurants near by. HVAC worked great. Now the bad:
1) Parking is terrible. There is an attached parking garage with small parking spots that are difficult to navigate, especially when trying to get stuff out of your vehicle. There is limited outside parking, but it's a long walk into the motel.
2) The towels are worn & thin. Time for new ones, guys.
3) I had a suite, but the towel rack and a handicap grab bar were loose and coming away from the wall.
4) After entering my room and closing the door, I was greeted with the remnants of a large spider smashed into the wall behind the door.
This is obviously a motel that Marriott changed into a Courtyard. It is showing its age and is in need of updating to bring it into the 21st century. I was especially disappointed because the GM seemed like a nice guy when I spoke to him the night before in the lobby. The lady behind the desk offered me no condolences or options when I gave her a list of defects.
Looks like I'll be staying some where else my next trip to Columbia.

Room Tip: Choose a good room at the Residence Inn or Marriott downtown.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
932ChrisJ, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback through TripAdvisor. I am sorry to hear of the not so good experience you had while at our property. The issues you encountered are not typical for our property and I assure you that we have taking action to ensure that other guests do not experience the same issues.

You mention renovations and updating; I am pleased to say that we will be converting to the Courtyard Bistro next year. This will include a full lobby renovation and light renovations on our guest rooms. It will truly be a brand new stay and I hope that you will give us another chance to welcome you back to see the changes!
Olathe, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Great room, seems to be newly renovated. Nice sheets, tall shower, good water pressure. Pretty good breakfast with made to order eggs and nice sitting area with plenty of space and tables. Waitstaff was attentive.

Stayed August 2013
Thanks for sharing your feedback! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit. I will be sure to share your feedback with our team and encourage them to keep up the great work!
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is the perfect location for visiting the University of South Carolina campus. The room rate was discounted as we were there during a freshman orientation session for my son. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. I just wish the limited breakfast was provided with the room. They did offer complimentary parking with the orientation session, however, which was much appreciated!

Room Tip: Nothing in particular about the room, but inquire about deals during university events. Sometimes th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
932ChrisJ, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thanks for sharing your feedback! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your previous visit. We look forward to welcoming you back many more times over the next 4 years!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We have stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in Columbia for the 6th time in two years this past weekend. The front desk staff is exceptional and the manager continues to remember us from year to year. Our daughter goes to school at USC and we won't consider staying anywhere else. The hotel is clean, convenient and has easy parking access.

Room Tip: the view towards the coliseum is much nicer than the view of the pool side
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
932ChrisJ, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback about our hotel! I am delighted to hear that you enjoy staying with us. We strive to provide all of our guests with a great experience. It is great hearing feedback like this. I will be sure to share it with the team and encourage them to keep up the great work!

We look forward to your next visit!

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Downtown at USC? Share your experiences!