“Good stay with a nice view...” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #27 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Columbia, South Carolina
“Good stay with a nice view...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Only flaw about this hotel the bedding is a lil outdated for the price. Other than that I enjoyed my stay. The breakfast was great, the staff is excellent. Other than wat I stated earlier good JW Marriott USC columbia

• Stayed May 2013
932ChrisJ, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your previous stay! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet and our Staff treated you well. We strive to provide all of our guests with that Southern Hospitality that keeps guests coming back!

In regards to the issues you experienced with the bedding; We are currently looking into making some changes in that area in the near future. We want to make sure that we have a product that matches our excellent staff!

Thanks again for the feedback and we look forward to your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Spring break. Time to head South. Time for a road race. These three reasons led us to Columbia, SC, on March 9, 2013 for the Columbia Marathon/Half Marathon/5K Run-Walk. We registered in January, rather late for a road race. We prefer to stay in race headquarters hotels: in this case, it was the Downtown Marriott. I was surprised to get a room at such a late date. Even more surprising was the included breakfast.

While we found the hotel easily enough, finding the municipal garage was more problematic. The entrance to the garage is next to the hotel via an unmarked alley. We arrived at 1:30 p.m., not expecting to have our room available. Kisa handled our check-in efficiently, explaining that the hotel was undergoing renovation but to expect the work to begin at 9 a.m. and end promptly at 6 p.m.
We found the door to newly renovated Room 7017 opened so we walked in. As it turned out, the room was prepared with the exception of vacuuming. Kaysia explained it would just be a few more minutes which allowed us to make another trip to the car to unload.

The renovations meant taking the stairs from the parking garage to the lobby area, not a huge deal for us but a little inconvenient. The three elevators were sufficient for a hotel this size. We returned to our nicely appointed room with the refrigerator we requested and a great view over the front of the hotel.
The runner’s Expo was an easy elevator ride to the lower level ballrooms.

You can’t beat the property for location. We had just enough time to take a quick self—guided tour of the State House, an easy 2- block walk from the hotel. We had the place to ourselves and even enjoyed a brief talk with the sergeant-at-arms. The Capitol is open to visitors from 9-5, Monday-Friday. The Columbia Museum of Art is across the street from the Marriott.

The beds were comfortable; the lighting was pleasing for reading and working. The room was light and airy and smelled fresh. With the emphasis on conservation, I was surprised that the toilet was not low flow. The bathroom had a grab bar inside of the tub.

I ordered a sandwich from the Garnet’s sports bar off the lobby. It was tasty and prepared in the promised 10-minutes. The lobby also has a dedicated Marriott Rewards lounge featuring a live piano player in the late afternoon.

Race day dawned sunny and a brisk 39F. Another easy walk to the start lines for the marathon and 5K race start lines behind the capitol building on the USC campus. The finish line activities were centered on the State House grounds, a perfect place to end the race. Afterwards, we browsed the many vendors at the Saturday Farmer’s Market across the street from the hotel.

Why is the Columbia Downtown Marriott a winning property besides the perfect location, friendly staff and vibrant downtown area? Both my husband and I won our age divisions in our respective races!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hilton Head, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This hotel is a great place to stay if in Columbia....wishing to stay downtown. The shuttle is wonderful, staff at desk very helpful, great breakfast too. I must say, the ten dollar garage parking fee is outrageous. Internet is free.

Room Tip: Rooms away from elevator are quieter.m
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
932ChrisJ, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for your comments! Our team strives to provide all of our guests with excellent customer service. I will congratulate them on a job well done. Our shuttle is definitly a great benefit for our guests. I am glad you used it during your visit!

Thanks again for sharing and we look forward to your next visit!
Mt. Pleasant
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

My husband and I came up to Columbia from Charleston for a night because we were seeing a show at the Koger Center and didn't want to drive home so late. This hotel is right across the street which was perfect. The AAA rate I got was better than the online rate so it was also a good deal, especially when you include the free parking in the hotel garage. The hotel was very nice, the man at the front desk was extremely professional and courteous and the room was large and comfortable. My only complaint was that we were in a room that faced Assembly Street which is very loud. We heard sirens, cars and even trains during the night. I would stay here again but would definitely request a room on the other side of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side of the hotel away from the main street.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
932ChrisJ, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your visit to our hotel. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit. Being right across the street from such great venues is a huge plus for our hotel. I can however, understand your frustrations with the noise from the Assembly St. side of the hotel. It tends to be a little louder when there are events going on in the city, but the location really makes up for it. Let us know when you plan your next visit and we would be happy to see about blocking you into a room on the opposite side of the hotel. Thanks again for sharing and we look forward to your next visit!
Florence, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I've stayed here 3 times. It's nice and clean. Staff is friendly. Great location. It's pretty much everything I need in a hotel. If you stay on the street side it is a little noisy. There's a train nearby. And you can hear the traffic. I'm not a light sleeper but light sleepers beware. Ask for a room that's not street side. You'll loose the view of the city lights but you may sleep better. I've eaten breakfast there and it was good. Friendly wait staff. there's also a workout room. I'll stay there again. That's about it.

Room Tip: Rooms away from street are quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your feedback and thank you for being a loyal guest! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your previous visit with us. I am new to this property and I can agree with you that the staff here is very friendly. I will congratulate them on a continued job well done!
south carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We spent only one night at this hotel and thank goodness! It was the worst night in any hotel in our memory. Main problem: Hallway noise and unresponsive front desk/management. We asked for a quiet room at end of hall but got one in middle. We were so tired from driving that we took it. What a mistake! At 3pm, there were people yelling, talking in hallway, kids running, doors slamming. While we wanted to rest, we understand people were still checking in so we suffered in silence.
Then, when we arrived back at 10 pm, hallway noise continued. Yelling from one open door to another. No, it wasn't a dorm at USC (tho felt like it), two or 3 rooms were rented by large family and they were yelling through the halls like it was their home - not a hotel. Twice we called the front desk - 10:20 pm and then, 11:11 pm but, to our knowledge, security never came. I think I fell asleep at 1 am! Since mgmt didn't care, we opened our door TWICE and their doors were all open and they told us 1) 'it's not late, it's only 11' (!) and 2) 'turn up your tv.'
WHAT A NIGHTMARE! Lots of hotels to choose from - don't book this one.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your previous stay at our hotel. I am sorry to hear of the lack of management response in regards to your complaints about noise in the halls. The response, or lack there of, that you were given is completely unacceptable and the situation should have been handled much differently. I am new to this property and I will be sure to implement new guidelines for handling noise complaints in the future. I hope that you will reconsider and give us another chance in the future to exceed your expectations.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback and we look forward to your next visit.
Simpsonville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This hotel is 2 blocks from the Colonial Life Arena. We stayed there the night of the Taylor Swift concert so we could walk our kids to the show and back without having to deal with the parking lot after. For that purpose, it was PERFECT!

The rooms were spotless, comfortable, and met our needs perfectly. The bathroom seemed a little small, but there is a separate coffee station/vanity counter outside the bathroom where the closet is that allowed some people to stand outside the bathroom to get ready. No mirror there, just a half wall.

The only reason I gave this hotel a 3 for service and a 4 overall is because there were no clean rooms when we arrived at 4:00. Each person was having to stand at the counter and wait until housekeeping confirmed that a room was ready. It was pure chaos. At one point, our CSR walked upstairs himself to confirm that 2 rooms were ready for us because he couldn't get housekeeping to answer him (although they were desperately trying to clean as fast as they could).

Let me say in the hotel's defense that they were completely sold out and almost everyone was trying to check in at the same time. However, with that said, they KNEW they were sold out and should have planned their housekeeping staff accordingly. There really is no justifiable excuse for not being prepared when I am certain many of the people there had to book this hotel well in advance of their stay. :(

We booked 2 hotel rooms this night with points earned by one of our husbands. He travels 95% of the time so is a Platinum member of their points system. They offered him some points back, we said ok, told him, but I think he was going to call them anyway to express his displeasure. (I'm putting that mildly.)

All in all, there were 3 moms and 6 kids ranging in age from 6-11 staying in 2 rooms that night. And, we DID enjoy our stay. The lobby was beautiful, the rooms were clean and comfortable, and the front desk staff was exceptional even in a tough situation. There was no free breakfast, the pool is outdoors, the parking is very tight (but free) and there are only 1-2 kid channels on the TV (no Disney channel), but I would absolutely stay there again and would highly recommend it to friends. I just hope the hotel takes my comments to heart since it was perfect otherwise. :)

Btw, if anyone from the hotel reads this, our CSR was an Asian young man with a shorter name that started with a J, and he was superb in his handling of this situation.

• Stayed March 2013
Hello and thank you for sharing your feedback! I am glad to hear such great feedback abour our hotel and staff. I will be sure to congratulate them on a job well done!

In regards to the Taylor Swift concert; our hotel did experience some challanges that posed some issues with having all of the rooms ready by 4:00 check in time. We have since discussed those challanges and will do things differently on those busy check in days to minimize the chance for a dealyed check in.

Thanks again for your feedback and we look fo your next visit!

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Downtown at USC? Share your experiences!