“Very Noisy” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 92 Hotels in Columbia
Denver, Colorado
“Very Noisy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The location to campus is nice and I have no complaints about the staff at all. However, the train noise was very consistent throughout the night. I'm a fairly light sleeper and it woke me up several times.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the backside of the hotel - the train noise comes from the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
932ChrisJ, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Greetings! Thank you for sharing your feedback. I can certinly understand your frustrations with the train noise at night. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about the train and its schedule, but feel free to request a room on the opposite side of the hotel during your next visit which may be a little less noisy.

We appreciate your business and feedback and look forward to your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Perfect location here at USC, across the street from the nationally ranked #9 USC fitness center.

What I liked:
Friendly staff, nice lobby with business center which included computers and a printer, Paul Mitchell shampoo and conditioner, comfortable mattress, fridge with freezer, fitness center.

What I disliked:
The bathroom, linens and sheets felt clean, but were probably many years old and worn... Overall the room seemed tired. There was peeling paint on the bathroom ceiling and the chair in the room had visible dust in the cushion seams. Coffee in the lobby was gone by 9:30 or 10am while many hotels keep the coffee station going all day. The parking garage is like a drivers ed test.

• Stayed January 2013
Thanks for your feedback! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed most aspects of your visit to our hotel. Our team strives to provide our guests with outstanding customer service and it is nice to see that our guests see it.

In regards to your comments about the room feeling "tired"; I am please to say that we are currently preparing for renovations! The renovations should begin at the end of this year/early 2014. I hope that you will come back and visit once they are done so you can experience a product that matches our top notch service!

Thanks again for sharing and we look forward to your next visit!
Rock Hill, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed here twice and both times i got excellent service. Rates weren't terrible. Its located near pretty much everything in downtown. I haven't had any problems. Parking was 10$ for me. Rooms very clean. Hotel is just generally clean although haven't been to pool. 5 points and the vista are near by. Front desk very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for your feedback! I will share your comments with the team and encourage them to keep up the great work!

We look forward to your next visit!
Myrtle Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed here twice in November once for a football game and once for a concert. Got a great rate for the concert, the football game was off the chart expensive, but was able to score a free night using points. Parking was free both times! The first time we stayed had a room by the pool and it was very quiet. The second time we were on an upper floor over looking the city and it was semi noisy. Decent clean rooms and could walk to the vista, think flying suace world of beer. it is also very close to hunter gathere.The only downside is that the hotel is in Columbia.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello! Thanks for sharing your feedback! I am glad to see that you enjoyed your time in Columbia and at our hotel. We are certinly proud of our location! Getting to all of the hot spots in Columbia takes no time at all from our hotel.

We hope to see you again during your next stay!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I was here to do research at USC, and I had a good experience. The hotel was quiet, pleasant, and the staff was helpful. The room was nice and the bed was comfy. The TV was good and while it didn't have a lot of channels, it was enough. The wifi was fast, free, and effective, and they didn't charge me for parking.
The problem is the parking lot is TINY. There are barriers in almost every spot and the cars are all really close together on the first level. Make sure to go to the SECOND level. I ended up scraping a car with my car door because of the tight spaces, and that ended up costing me a pretty penny to fix the other car's paint job. Ugh. So just park on the second level.
The staff was really nice. The first night I caught there, there was hair in the bathroom, but I took the front desk and they fixed it immediately, and I had great cleaning the rest of my time there. So that was nice.
The breakfast at the hotel is a bit pricy, so I would just say walk over to the USC campus and eat at a coffeeshop or breakfast place there.
In short, nice hotel and if you need to be at USC, you can't beat the location. Nice experience--I'll be here again if I'm in Columbia.

Room Tip: Higher floor better--I think there is a lot of street noise so it's better to be high up!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for providing us with feedback from your visit! I am delighted to hear that the staff went above and beyond during your visit. I will be sure to share your feedback with them and congratulate them on a job well done.

Parking at our hotel can be a challange on busier nights. If you have a larger vehicle we do recommend taking Devine St. and turning in behind the hotel. There is more space for parking in that area.

I sincerely apologize for the cleanliness issues you experienced. Having traveled before, I know how frustrating that can be. I am glad however, that our staff was able to recover the situation and ensure that your room was up to standard for the duration of your visit.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback and we look forward to your next visit!
Herndon, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

This was my second stay here. Both times I found staff helpful and friendly. Beds are better than average. Breakfast was better than most hotels, with hot eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy, etc. Great coffee. This time of year the price is reasonable. TV remote did not work correctly which they promptly replaced. My only minor complaint was that after arriving after a long day on the road, the bar closed at 10. But the bartender had a really big shot glass... I've stayed at 3 different hotels in town, and this would be my first choice.

Room Tip: Reserve early for move-in or move-out weekends. Like a year early.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay! I am glad to hear that our staff was attentive and responded to your needs quickly and efficiently.

I will share your comments with our Food and Beverage Director and see about getting the bar hours extended. It is because of your feedback that we are able to make changes to ensure that our guests needs are being met and their expectations are exceeded.

Thanks again and we look foward to your next stay!
District Heights
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

This was nice and clean courtyard. The staff was very polite and helpful. Check in and out was very easy, I definitely recommend this location. The room was a nice size and the beds very comfortable. I remember seeing that you had to pay for parking but I didn't. This location was very convenient and it is extremely close to the university.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
We appreciate your feedback and are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit. I will share your comments with the team. We appreciate your business and look forward to your next stay!

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Downtown at USC? Share your experiences!