“Pleasant and convenient” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Pleasant and convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I was here to do research at USC, and I had a good experience. The hotel was quiet, pleasant, and the staff was helpful. The room was nice and the bed was comfy. The TV was good and while it didn't have a lot of channels, it was enough. The wifi was fast, free, and effective, and they didn't charge me for parking.
The problem is the parking lot is TINY. There are barriers in almost every spot and the cars are all really close together on the first level. Make sure to go to the SECOND level. I ended up scraping a car with my car door because of the tight spaces, and that ended up costing me a pretty penny to fix the other car's paint job. Ugh. So just park on the second level.
The staff was really nice. The first night I caught there, there was hair in the bathroom, but I took the front desk and they fixed it immediately, and I had great cleaning the rest of my time there. So that was nice.
The breakfast at the hotel is a bit pricy, so I would just say walk over to the USC campus and eat at a coffeeshop or breakfast place there.
In short, nice hotel and if you need to be at USC, you can't beat the location. Nice experience--I'll be here again if I'm in Columbia.

Room Tip: Higher floor better--I think there is a lot of street noise so it's better to be high up!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
932ChrisJ, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for providing us with feedback from your visit! I am delighted to hear that the staff went above and beyond during your visit. I will be sure to share your feedback with them and congratulate them on a job well done.

Parking at our hotel can be a challange on busier nights. If you have a larger vehicle we do recommend taking Devine St. and turning in behind the hotel. There is more space for parking in that area.

I sincerely apologize for the cleanliness issues you experienced. Having traveled before, I know how frustrating that can be. I am glad however, that our staff was able to recover the situation and ensure that your room was up to standard for the duration of your visit.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback and we look forward to your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Herndon, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

This was my second stay here. Both times I found staff helpful and friendly. Beds are better than average. Breakfast was better than most hotels, with hot eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy, etc. Great coffee. This time of year the price is reasonable. TV remote did not work correctly which they promptly replaced. My only minor complaint was that after arriving after a long day on the road, the bar closed at 10. But the bartender had a really big shot glass... I've stayed at 3 different hotels in town, and this would be my first choice.

Room Tip: Reserve early for move-in or move-out weekends. Like a year early.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay! I am glad to hear that our staff was attentive and responded to your needs quickly and efficiently.

I will share your comments with our Food and Beverage Director and see about getting the bar hours extended. It is because of your feedback that we are able to make changes to ensure that our guests needs are being met and their expectations are exceeded.

Thanks again and we look foward to your next stay!
District Heights
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

This was nice and clean courtyard. The staff was very polite and helpful. Check in and out was very easy, I definitely recommend this location. The room was a nice size and the beds very comfortable. I remember seeing that you had to pay for parking but I didn't. This location was very convenient and it is extremely close to the university.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
We appreciate your feedback and are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit. I will share your comments with the team. We appreciate your business and look forward to your next stay!
Peoria, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Great location downtown, close to restaurants. Overnight stay for business. Staff did a great job at registration, rooms were clean and fresh. Took a room facing the back of the building to minimize the traffic noise...good choice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Reston, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Last week I took my son on a tour of colleges in South Carolina. We ended with a tour of University of South Carolina, followed by a Saturday Football game. As I was planning our trip, I did a quick search to find a hotel close to the campus and booked it. Boy, did we get lucky!

The Courtyard Columbia is located on the edge of campus. We were able to park at the hotel and walk around to see some additional parts of the school. We walked to dinner both nights, one time to the Vista section and one time to California Dreaming, both of which were just a couple of blocks away.

The next morning we got a ride to the stadium, but there was also a school sponsored shuttle within a block of the hotel.

The staff was extremely helpful and seemed interested in making sure we had everything that we needed.

The room was well maintained and we were able to get a non-smoking room with two queen beds.

My only complaint (which is outside of the hotel's control) is that trains go through Columbia all night and we definitely heard them from our room. Maybe the hotel could put in better windows to minimize the noise. Of course, I told my son that if he decides to go to school here, he better get used to it!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I was in town for a few days for a business trip and this was a great place for our team. The lobby is nice (big and modern), and the location is perfect for our needs. We walked to the "Vista" area on Gervais for dinner each night, and I even walked to the USC campus one night which is only a few blocks away.

They got a 'very good' instead of execllent for a few small reasons, none of which would keep me from staying there again. I thought my room (suite) was a little small for what the price I was paying, the road traffic noise was a little high (I was only on the 2nd floor, almost level with the street) and you can't make a left-hand turn onto the property if you are headed South on Assembly Street, so you have to plan your approach (either around the block or U-turn).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Owensboro, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Went for a campus visit over Fall Break, and there can't be a more convenient hotel for that since it's in the middle of campus. Super nice staff and the hotel was very clean for a property as busy as this one. Parking on the lower level is ridiculously tight, but there's plenty of room on the 2nd level and outdoors on the 3rd level. All dining was at least a couple of blocks away and the terrain is steep around there. All of these are minor comments. This is a very nice, clean "budget" hotel that is super convenient if you need to be near campus.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front face a busy street and on the back there's a pool. Up high might be your best...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family