“Perfect USC location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Perfect USC location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Walk to everything on campus. Just diagonally across the street from the USC fitness center. And directly across the street from Carolina Coliseum. Pretty standard Courtyard lobby, pool area nice, fitness room nice, staff always very friendly and helpful. Rates fluctuate dramatically during peak campus events like Parents Weekend. Non-peak I can usually get a rate just under $100 but peak rates can easily be double that (and more). Marriott Diamond members receive free parking, which is nice so you can just leave your car there and walk. Ceiling height of garage is low but standard SUVs & vans seem to be fine. 1 time out of 4 I was able to get an upgrade to a suite as a diamond member.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Marietta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I recently stayed here while moving my daughter back into her apartment for college. I got it through Priceline, and was very excited to try it out for the first time. But then when I read the reviews on TA, I didn't think they were very good. But it was a great stay! I guess I had a suite, since I thought most of the Courtyards had little kitchens or sitting areas. But what can one expect for $56 per night, right? They add on $10.00 for parking if they think to ask you if you have a car, but they don't give you anything to put in your car to say you have paid. There was no refrigerator in my room, which I didn't require anyway. I jokingly asked when I checked in if I could have a room with a view, since I didn't expect anything (even though I had a Marriott card) since I was staying with Priceline. But the clerk told me he was putting me on the top floor (9), and I could either have a room with a nice view or a room on the quieter side of the hotel. So I told him to surprise me and he gave me the quieter room. I didn't have breakfast there because it was $10.95 and I didn't want to pay for it. I had a 9am walk to the campus for breakfast at Russell Hall, and then walked around campus like I love to do every time I am there.

There are 3 levels of parking. By the time I got back the first night I had to park on the second level. The spaces are tight for someone with a minivan. The 2nd night, I had to go to the 3rd level, which is outdoors. And I was going a one-way direction, wondering why this jerk was driving towards me and making ME back up when he was going the wrong way. It turns out, he worked there, and was moving his car to make room for a customer to park his car. He told me there were no more spots, and he was making one, and that I could park behind him and it would be OK. It was really very nice of him. I don't think the parking is normally that bad. It ended up being the night before the Sorority Rush was starting, and 100 or so Sorority women had to stay in the hotel since they were working Rush and not allowed to talk to anyone during it. So they probably had a gazillion local cars there that wouldn't normally be there.

Oh, I did bring a "white noise" machine. (I had read it might be noisy on a TA post. And I could still hear noises, but it wasn't as bad. I think it was from my fan in my AC, even when turned off. (not entirely sure what it was from, since I didn't try to pinpoint it.)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
CourtyardColumbia, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Thanks so much for commenting on your recent stay. We do our best to provide the friendliest service and accommodations in Columbia. By the way, all our rooms do have refrigerators. It is located in the dresser armoire. We hope we see you again soon! Best regards
Naperville, Illinois, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

To move our son back to campus for his senior year at the University of South Carolina, we booked a room at the campus Courtyard. This visit brought back memories of the first time we stayed here the Summer of 2009 for his pre-Freshman registration session, and we've been coming back to this hotel every year, since.

For this trip, we (the parents) were only in town for a day to help get his stuff out of storage, and all of his things from home unpacked and moved into his dorm room. This has become a fun family activity -- one last thing to do together before school starts.

This is the go-to place for out-of-state parents taking their students to school. It's a normal Courtyard: standard, normal rooms, free breakfast and wifi, and most important to us, walking distance to most of the on-campus buildings and dorm rooms. For parent's weekends, which we attended every year, the location is good because it is on the side of campus closest to the football stadium... a must do for parent's weekends: SEC football is an unforgetable experience.

The bar/lounge area in the lobby is a very sociable place to meet other parents. Also, you will find the hotel staff to be warm, friendly and welcoming.

Some issues you need to consider: You need to book rooms early. We booked move-in weekend stay 2 months ago. On more than one occasion, the hotel has been hosting a party, that has been a little noisy. The parking garage is small and a pain to get in and out of; you don't want to be the last car in at night. Nothing is a show-stopper.

We'll be back, and we recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for our comments regarding your stay with us last week. The USC Move-in weekend is a busy time for the city, welcoming all the students back to school for the Fall. We have a great location close to all the USC venues and Sports facilities and yes! Please book early since we are the closest hotel to the University! We appreciate you recognized our friendly staff. They are always there to help in any way! Hope to see you soon again for a football game!
Harrogate, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

While staying at this hotel this past weekend I was not that pleased with the service of the housekeeping staff. My room as not made up on of the days and found hair from past guest on the bed and in the shower. I have never had this happen to me at another hotel. This hotel should take a look at their housekeeping.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
CourtyardColumbia, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us recently. I apologize for the sub standard condition of your room and have reviewed the comments with our housekeeping staff to ensure it does not happen in the future. We take our service standards very seriously and work hard to provide the highest service levels at all time. Thank you for your business. If you are in the Columbia area again, please contact the Hotel in advance and we will be happy to upgrade your reservation to a suite. Best regards,
Colleyville, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

I chose this location for its access to the archive library where there are loads of genealogical materials. The hotel was very nice and close to places to eat. It also had covered parking. Good place.

• Stayed March 2012
Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your recent stay. Our prime location does make it so convenient to get to USC buildings, the State Capital, Colonial Life Arena and the Entertainment districts. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you soon. Best regards,
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I don't know why people complain at all about this hotel -- it has a lovely modern design and rooms were extremely clean and comfortable. I had no noise issues. At one point some USC students who had been partying got rowdy out on the street at night and police were called to take care of it. I looked out my window and saw what was going on and went to tell my sister in her room and accidentally forgot my room key -- called staff and they came up immediately with another key. We asked them what was going on in the street below due to the police and the woman said, "It's OK, you're safe, just some students who got too loud." She was so reassuring and made us feel better immediately. What happened with the students was NOT the hotel's fault. Overall this is a lovely place in a terrific location close to USC campus, State House grounds, etc and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
CourtyardColumbia, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Columbia Downtown at USC, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay earlier this month. We strive to provide the best service possible and exceed our guests' expectations every day. We do have a great location and offer complimentary transportation to several nearby attractions and restaurants including the Five Points Area and Vistas Entertainment district. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Ada, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Stayed here for several nights during a conference. Nothing much to add to what you may have already read. Staff was efficient and quite nice. In fact, while walking to the parking lot, I was greeted with "Good morning, Sunshine" by someone in housekeeping. Now about that parking lot. It might just be best to drive past the first floor and go to the second or third. I drive a small Prius and I even had problems parking on the main floor. Check was easy. Elevators quick. Room was okay. I had a view of a rooftop. Street view was said to be louder from traffic but also hotter in the late afternoon. Unless you are on the higher floors on the westside, the view is blocked. Air conditioner was a little loud but cooled quickly. Breakfast was good although the first several days they only had two flavors of yogurt. Staff is breakfast ara is always there to keep your coffee cups full with a smile to boot. I went with healthy choices but someone is there to cook your eggs to your liking. Dinner and a bar is available at night but there are plenty of places nearby (The Vista) for fine dining. There are also several places to eat within a half block. Th exercise room was small but enough for me. Towels, headsets, TV for all machines available. Nice touches. Overall, a nice experience. Far better than I thought it was going to be.

Room Tip: West side more scenic but hotter. Go for room over pool on eastside.