I stayed at the Clausen's Inn a few years ago while I was in town on a business function. The rooms are gorgeous.. they have a bed and breakfast appeal though the hotel is not. The service/staff was great (there were no college kids working staff as I see other reviewers complain about now). It IS right in the middle of your average big college hotspots though. Lots of bars and clubs within walking distance.
The only objection that I really had with the place is the fact that I couldn't sleep at all. It sounded like someone was walking down the hall and rattling the doorknobs of each of the rooms as I was about to fall asleep. I called the front desk and the night auditor assured me that no one was in the hallway and that it was probably just the ghost of the hotel. I thought he was kidding at first but he continued to tell me a story of the history of the hotel and how it was once an old bread factory and after it had been condemned, the local children used it as a hideaway. One night the building caught on fire (due to the children playing around inside) and a local resident ran inside to help save some of the children from the burning building. Evidently a few were rescued, but the man died in the fire. Supposedly, now, he sometimes walks the halls off the building, often times "checking the locks" of the doors to the rooms, to ensure that the guests are safe and protected.
Needless to say I didn't sleep a WINK that night and almost even contemplated sleeping in the lobby, as I was terrified. I heard weird noises all throughout the evening and have never been so relieved to see the sun rise. The next day I checked into the local Hampton Inn on my own, even though my company was paying for my stay at the Clausen.
- Also Known As:
- The Inn At Claussen`s Hotel Columbia
- The Inn At Claussen`s Hotel
- Hotel At Claussens
- At Claussens Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience Southern Hospitality at it’s finest in the heart of Columbia, South Carolina. Listed on the National Historic Register, The Inn at Claussen’s blends historic grandeur, exquisite service and eco-friendly amenities in perfect proportion. Once home to Claussen’s Bakery we are now a 29 room Boutique Inn, just steps away from some of the best dining and shopping in South Carolina. Whether you’re taking a quick vacation or getting down to business, we have all the modern comforts to help you get away or stay connected. At The Inn at Claussen’s you can always expect your breakfast to be delivered to your room in the morning, a glass of wine in the evenings and gracious hospitality around the clock. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Tingo, Travelocity, Fareportal , Venere and Agoda so you can book your The Inn At Claussen's reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.