“Lovely Inn” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
San Francisco, California
“Lovely Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I enjoyed my stay here in Columbia. I was on a 13 night road trip staying a different place every night. I had been hiking in Congaree National Park all day and had been stuck in a rainstorm. The fabulous sower here was just what I needed! It was amazing! I was unhappy with my room when I first walked in since it was on the first floor by the driveway and next to the front desk. However, the building was so well made that I didn't even hear a thunderstorm outside! The wine and drink hour was a delight and Bianca's recommendation for dinner, Yesterday's, was perfect! Then she even showed me around the property to see some of the other rooms. The next day the lovely man behind the desk gave me some tips for Charleston which was my next stop. I also LOVED the breakfast in bed.

Room Tip: Ask for upstairs.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
ClaussensGM, General Manager at The Inn At Claussen's, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Lissa R,

On behalf of the staff of Inn at Claussen's I would like to say thank you for sharing your feedback and express our gratitude for your kind words and taking the time to post your review. Breakfast in bed is a nice little treasure that you cannot even get in a bed and breakfast. Thank you for sharing the traveler's tip for our future guest's as well.

Make sure to stop in and see us when you visit the Columbia area in the future. Until then, happy travels.

Warm regards,
Amy, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Columbus, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My childhood was spent only several blocks away from the Clausen's Bakery, so you can imagine my delight in returning to Columbia to stay overnight at the Clausen's Inn. The staff was very courteous and helpful but my room was a disappointment. I had expected to have accommodations as displayed in the Inn's advertisements. The room was certainly large and the bed comfortable but the overall appearance was less than attractive. Frankly, the place cries out for a renovation and restoration. It looked "worn out". Althgough the shower head was great as advertised, the shower and tub was a hazard for me to use. Being 84 years of age I looked for a grab bar but there was none. Get to work and save this place!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear HootColumbus_NC,

Thank you for expressing your concerns and sharing your feedback. One of the ways we know how to improve is when guests voice their concerns for where improvements can be made to ensure the safety and security of our guests, as that is of the utmost importance for the Inn at Claussen's.

The Inn at Claussen's is about to undergo hotel renovations in the next couple of weeks and we will be performing room upgrades, not full upgrades, however we will access rooms on a case-by-case basis and the addition of making a couple of rooms ADA compliment is an excellent idea. Thank you for feedback, and I do hope you give us another opportunity once the renovations are complete.

Seneca, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I love this place! I have spent many nights here and they have all been superb. The staff and management are professional and attentive to my needs. I love the morning breakfast brought to my room and the evening wine and cookies. I also like the building. It's in an old bread factory. Many wonderful restaurants within walking distance. The campus and Five Points is also within walking distance. I highly recommend!

Room Tip: Choose the newer "modern" rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Paula W,

Thank you for your wonderful comments about our "beautique hotel". We strive for perfection everyday and are pleased that we exceeded your expectations. The breakfast to your room as well as the nightly reception with complimentary wine, cheese and cookies is a nice way to unwind.

Again, we appreciate your kind words and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Best regards,
Beaufort, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Loved the renovation and historical aspect of the inn. If your looking for something non-traditional this fits the bill. Rooms would be SO much nicer with a touch of black paint and a magic eraser scrub!
The atmosphere is Southern relaxed, and it does feel intimate. All natural bath products prove they really are Eco-aware which I appreciated. The bathroom was huge which worked so well for my family. The daily Delivered breakfast is perfect, but don't look for too much else it is what it claims to be- an inn. It's close to 5 points, but not sure I felt safe walking alone at night since school wasn't in session.

• Stayed June 2013
ClaussensGM, General Manager at The Inn At Claussen's, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear msblanton,

We appreciate your feedback and taking the time to express your comments regarding your visit with us at The Inn at Claussen's. We are currently working towards huge improvements in the rooms and overall appeal of the property. New and exciting concepts are coming in the next few months. We hope you join us again in the near future take advantage of all the refined details that had been overlooked during your last stay.

Again, thank you for choosing The Inn at Claussen's and we hope to see you again soon.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I highly recommend this small inn located in central Columbia (Five Points). Walking to numerous shops and restaurants is easy.
Housed in a former bakery, this hotel is decorated with a sharp eye for 'easy modern'. Rooms are commodious and ground floor rooms have private patios. An ample breakfast is included in room rate and it's delivered cheerfully to your room each morning. The staff were unfailingly helpful and personable.
I highly recommend this hotel and hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Tsuri77,

Like you mentioned in your review, we are located in the highly popular Five Points district of Columbia, which is convenient to many luxuries in the city. We appreciate you noticing the quality of staff and the friendliness we aim to project upon all our guests visiting our Inn.

Thank you for allowing us to provide you with your accommodations while in the Columbia area. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best Regards,
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Claussen's is definitely not your hotel in a box. I called before we arrived to ask about bakery's near their location and when we got there, the concierge had a list of local bakeries. They also suggested restaurants that were open at 9:30 at night (which we were concerned about) that were within walking distance. We chose the one directly behind the hotel (Mr. Friendly's) and found one of THE best restaurants we've ever been to. There's a price attached to everything that's really good so it's a little higher priced than we usually stay at but you enjoy personal service, wonderful rooms, a breakfast delivered to you in the morning and employees who genuinely seem to care about your comfort. The ONE thing that concerned me (but didn't bother us) is the train that runs right near the hotel. We never heard it at after 10pm but there are some who might not like this aspect of things.

Room Tip: We did choose a down stairs room with a patio outside which just gave it a little "extra"...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear MelanieM1968,

Thank you for choosing The Inn at Claussen's for your accommodations in Columbia. As you mentioned, we strive to not be your typical "hotel in a box" and cater to each individual guest for there own personal and unique experience. Whether it is a list of local bakeries to start your day or finding kid-friendly activities for your family, the Claussen staff is always ready and willing to help make your trip to Columbia a memorable one.

Again, thank you for sharing your comments with us and letting us become a part of your memories.

Warm regards,
Saint Cloud, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

The staff was very friendly and helpful from the first time in. Our room was lovely and very clean, and we enjoyed the afternoon snack. We had a downstairs patio room, and it was nice to sit outside and visit with a local friend. Beds were very comfortable and breakfast delivered to our room was delicious. Looking forward to another stay here in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear danakx,

We are always delighted to read about our guests feeling welcomed from the moment they arrive. I do hope you come back and join us in the near future as there are many exciting new things coming to the Inn at Claussen's over the next few months.

Amy, GM

Been to The Inn At Claussen's? Share your experiences!