“Nice hotel in an old, dark building” 4 of 5 stars

Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1400 Main Street, Columbia, SC 29201   |
Ranked #29 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Atlanta, Georgia
“Nice hotel in an old, dark building”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Stayed here for two nights during my daughter's orientation at University of South Carolina. Overall I had an enjoyable stay, and the location was a easy walk to the campus. However, the building is older with dark hallways, elevators and lobby. The TV in the bathroom was nice, if not practical. The breakfast buffet was enjoyable and convenient.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Sheraton_Staff, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel. I would like to address your perception of our dark hallways. We will look into the lighting brightness on our floors to see if there is a change that needs to be made. Thank you for your business and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Sao Paulo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We stayed at Sheraton when we went to visit Congaree NP.
It is a nice hotel, mostly for business travelers.
Room are clean, medium sized, with restored old wood floors.
Staff are very good, always in good mood and helpful.
Hotel lobby is different and interesting with a big bank vault.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to hear your positive feedback about our stay. We are a renovated bank builiding which makes us extremely unique in the hotel Columbia market. We appreciate you business and look forward to serving you in the future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

The Sheraton Columbia's service keeps getting better and better, with a few minor adjustments, it could be top notch. The bar has been raised with Cedric in the club lounge. Cedric should teach classes to all of us in the service industry. Now, with the addition of Chef Rick, the food is delicious. Yes, they now charge 6.00 for wine in the lounge, but it's worth the price. Matt at the front desk was very nice. Valet is still slow and expensive, engineering never fixed 3 broken items that I told the front desk about twice, and the rooms are little worn. All that is trumped by the quality of service and pride from the employees.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to hear that your customer service experience is getting better. We are excited to work with our staff and train them with the southern hospitality that the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel expects. We will address the issues with our maintenance and front desk staff in reference the the issues you experienced. Thank you for your business and we look forward to you return in the future.
Victoria Capital Regional District, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

As a SPG Platinum guest that frequents SC (living in BC Canada) I was very please on my first stay here. I met Cedric in the once upstairs club lounge and was blown away by the service. I also received a suite upgrade.

Since that stay I have returned 5-10 times and intend to continue. I always go visit Cedric, and enjoy his conversation and recommendations about the town. The restaurant POSH has at the time of this review (July 2014) a new chef who is excellent. The rooftop bar offers excellent views and excellent value.

Since that time there has been a new general manager, who reduced the club lounge benefit, now charging for the once complimentary wine. I have also noticed fewer automatic upgrades to suites, which may just be a function of availability (my own bad luck?).

My biggest complaint with this property is with the house keeping. I notice inconsistent amenities in the rooms (like lotion not present in the lower grade of rooms). I have also noticed sticky goo on window sills, used comment cards not being removed but just flipped back over, dirty TV remotes, and what appears to be dirty frosted glass on the bathroom doors (this could just be damaged glass however).

I recommend against valet parking as it is

A) expensive

B) very slow, just this morning i noticed guests complaining about 30 minute waits for the vehicles.

I also hope to see the return of the club lounge on the 16th floor.

All in all I will keep coming back. My other favourite SC properties are The Westin Greenville, and The Westin Hilton Head Island.

Additionally, if I was paying for the WIFI i would be very annoyed. It has been extremely unreliable today and I am posting using my cell phone connection, which as an international traveler is not exactly convenient. Please improve this!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Sheraton_Staff, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor. We would like to begin by thanking you for being a valued SPG member. There have been some changes made to the club lounge which are compliant with Sheraton standards. We do, however, understand that our long time returning guests are having to get used to these changes. Club lounge will eventually go back to the 16th floor once renovations are complete. I do apologize for the inconsistent housekeeping service you have experienced. We will ensure that our staff is educated and trained to better accomodate you in the future. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you in the future.
South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I called to make a reservation and was quoted a price of $99 per night for two nights. I gave them my credit card number to hold the room and was cut off before I could complete the reservation. My confirmation came through by e-mail and it showed $378.00 total for the reservation and it said the total amount had been charged to my credit card. I didn't even have a chance to recap the reservation and ask the cancellation policy. I would have never reserved the room as non-refundable. I called the hotel directly and was transferred to reservations. I did not use a third party booking agent. I called immediately to cancel it and was given a cancellation number. Then my card was charged $455 immediately. I have made several attempts to get this corrected. Do NOT make a reservation through Sheraton. It is very unprofessional in their service and they should never have charged me at all as I cancelled it within two minutes of having been cut off by their reservations agent the first time and was never told I would be charged in the first place

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Sheraton_Staff, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We are appalled at the service you received during the reservation process. We expect anyone making a reservation, whether in house or central reservations, to properly complete a reservation and give cancellation requirements. We would greatly apprectiate you contacting us directly to investigate this issue and see how we can futher assist. My direct email address is sales@sheratoncolumbiahotel.com. Please contact me so that I may put this issue in the right hands. Thank you for taking the time to post this review and we will certainly use this as a training tool
Cedarhurst, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We were pleasantly surprised to come upon a quaint, though modern, gem of a hotel right in the middle of downtown Clumbia, SC. We loved our room! It was airy and had everything, very nicely laid out. Being on a Club floor enabled us to join the happy hour with the famous Cedric, our host. He is wonderful at his job. He knows so much about Columbia. He has his computer right there to bring up websites, menus, and the like. He is more than willing to share his knowledge and experiences. He always made us feel welcome and appreciated.
Also the hotel itself was fabulous. The lay out, the ease of getting around the hotel, the accomomodations, the restaurants, coffee bar, the rooftop bar, and especially the staff. Everyone was pleasant, friendly and willing to help, especially the front desk staff. Located in downtown Columbia made getting around and getting acclimated very easy. I loved the feel of the town and the hotel and would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: I liked the Club floors and the amenities of it being high up and having breakfast and a cocktail ho...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Sheraton M, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you for recent review on TripAdvisor. We are extremely delighted to hear of how you enjoyed your stay with the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel. We take great pride in our southern hospitality and strive for all of our valued guests to have the same experience as yourself. We will make sure to pass this wonderful feedback along to our staff. We also appreciate your acknowledgement of our unique, boutique style hotel. We thank you for your business and look foward to serving you in the future.
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Nice hotel.. almost boutique. Nice revamped bank. Repurposed bank with lovely hardwoods. Room was small but perfect for me. Television in bathroom for those long episodes. Dont waste money on valet or a parking deck. Plenty of free street parking after 5pm til 9am and weekends. Good location walking distant to good restaurants and within 1.5 miles from 5 points area and other restaurant areas.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. We value our guests feedback which helps us to constantly improve on guest satfifaction. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at our unique, boutique style property. Thank you for your business and we look forward to your return in the future.

Been to Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!