“Always a Great Experience” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1400 Main Street, Columbia, SC 29201   |
Ranked #37 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Charleston, South Carolina
“Always a Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

I travel to Columbia for business about once a month and I always stay at the Sheraton. The staff is always very friendly and professional and the rooms are beautiful. Since this is an older building that has been remodeled, each room has a little bit of a different layout, which is cool. Its right in the middle of downtown - close to restaurants, Publix, etc and the view from many of the rooms are awesome! Also, when you firt arrive, it looks like the only parking option is valet, but there is a garage right next to the hotel (on the corner of Washington and Assembly). I usually park briefly in the metered spots on the street to check in and get my bags inside, and then I move my car into the garage. I usually leave the hotel at 8:30am and so far in my 5 visits there has never been an attendant and the garage is open, so there has not been any charge for parking. The rooms also have large desks, which makes a great workspace. Also, the bathrooms have flatscreen TVs on the wall, which is just awesome in general. I'm planning another trip to Columbia tomorrow and I will be staying at the Sheraton!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Charleston, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

While the location of the Sheraton is extremely convenient for those on business in the downtown core, I was not impressed overall. Although I was on a high floor, street noise was horrible. The interior lacks sufficient soundproofing, so you hear conversations and televisions from adjacent rooms. Wooden floors in the guest rooms look good, but they do nothing to help deaden noise. It sounded like someone was tap-dancing in the room above, whenever they walked around wearing shoes. White tile floors in a hotel are a bad idea, unless the rooms are thouroughly cleaned. The bathroom floor had an abundance of hair from prior guests. Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Greenville, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

I specifically chose this hotel because it is a Starwood property. I normally choose the Marriott nearby but in recent years the Marriott has declined somewhat. My first impression upon arrival was of the college aged Valet attendant. Don't get me wrong, I have encountered many exceptional college employees but it was obvious this one was bored and not excited to have to actually work. I had to ask him to please get me a cart and then practically beg him to assist me in getting my luggage to my room. Checking in was no better. First, the only person at the desk made me feel like an inconvenience. I am also a Platinum Starwood Guest and am used to the spill one gets upon checking in. I didn't get any of it. I asked if I was going to get an upgrade and the employee was rude about it, but did find me one. I also asked if he could go ahead and cue the key for late checkout. Another inconvenience for him. Finally arriving at my room, the keys did not work. I used the house phone to call the desk and was told when he had a moment he would come with new keys. Then, realizing I had the valet guy, he said to send him. He really didn't want to so I told him I would tip him if he did. Thirty minutes after arrival, I was in my room. I immediately headed to the club lounge for a glass of wine only to discover it was not in operation and after calling the desk found out it would not be at all. News Flash, it should not have been offered on the internet because I booked my room (with a higher price tag) for that reason. I was given vouchers to use instead. I headed to the rooftop bar where I found my first bright spot. The view is incredible and the bartender was exactly what Starwood represents. She was spot on. However, she is the one who told me that they only open the club lounge when a corporate company books out the rooms. Wow. I felt lied to almost. Plus, the drink voucher was only good for one glass at 5.00. They definitely got money off of me and offered nothing in return.
The room was incredibly small and seemed way too similar to the corner king room I actually booked and was on the lowest floor. I am not sure I got an upgrade in reality. The bathroom was the best part of the room. Shower was clean and spacious. The bed was exactly as I expected.
Breakfast was okay but on time and it turned out my so called voucher didn't apply to room delivered breakfast.
When it came time to check out, I had to get my own cart and move my own items - no help was offered and again another college kid was in charge but was better than the one I encountered upon arrival.
I was highly disappointed in the lack of protocol following what I have come to expect from Starwood. There is a reason I am loyal to the brand. I will choose this property again, but will be better prepared and book the cheapest room and travel light knowing I will be responsible for getting them to my room. I know this is not the highest tier in the property but it is also not the lowest but I have received better treatment from lower properties. I advise Starwood to do a crash course with the staff of this hotel or they may see their profits go awry.

• Stayed May 2011
TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

First the good....this is a great location for fun or business in Columbia. Its a cool old building thats been retro fitted by Starwood.

The bad...I have stayed here many times. The same problems that existed on day #1 still do today. Its the loudest hotel in America. I stayed on the 14th floor and I could clearly hear a conversation on the street below. You can hear everything...sirens, dogs, people. You can hear the TV next door, you can hear the guest below you taking a shower...its nuts. Also, the wood floors may look cool....but were not installed well. These are not antique floors, these are the news one installed for the hotel a few years ago. They squeak and creek and you can hear all you neighbors moving around all night long.
The staff, while friendly, are almost always clueless. The parking is pretty bad. Slow, expensive valet or you have to drive around and hunt for a meter on Main Street.
I assume they can't replace the walls, or the windows or the floors....but if they did, this would be a better hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Townsend, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

My wife and I spent two wonderful nights at the Sheration Columbia Downtown.
THe rooms were clean, the restuarants were good and the service was outstanding.
From the moment our car was unloaded thru check in the clerks were great. One particular person at check in was Matt Owens - he was extremely helpful when we encountered any problem or needed directions. This is the third time we have stayed at this Sheraton and it will not the last.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room over looking the street.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
ColaSheraton, Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2011
Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We are so glad you had a wonderful stay with us, and I am so glad to hear how great the customer service was. I will make sure to let Matt know what a wonderful job he did and continues to do.

Parke Espy
Front Desk Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2011

I'm a pilot living in hotels half the month.. The whole staff was amazing and I would bring my whole family here!!!! AMAZING service and professionalism!

• Stayed April 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

Great service and eminities. Rooftop bar, and location were of special note.
Would highly recommend to all business travelers.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
ColaSheraton, Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay! I'm pleased to here that you had the opportunity to enjoy the Roof Top and the restoration of our 1913 bank building. Again thank you for your kind review.

Been to Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!