“WHAT AN AMAZING BED!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Columbia, South Carolina
“WHAT AN AMAZING BED!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2011

I've stayed at the Sheraton in downtown Columbia several times and thoroughly enjoy each stay. The staff is great, the beds are AMAZING, and each visit, I've enjoyed dinner at a different restaurant! The rooftop bar is a great place to take clients and friends alike. Great bar with great views of the city. The hardwood floors and the historic feel of the building in general make this hotel a truly unique place to stay. HIGHLY recommend!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
ColaSheraton, Manager at Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2011
Thank you for reviewing your stay! We here at the Sheraton are so happy that you had the opportunity to enjoy all of the amenities of our property. The Roof Top bar is trully one of the best views in Columbia and our SweetSleeper beds make sleeping a dream. We look forward to having you as a guest again, and once again thank you for such a rave review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
San Antonio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

For a family visit, I decided to stay at this location due to the historic nature of this building. When so many buildings of this era are torn down, I was interested in seeing how the former bank building was transformed into a hotel.
The lobby is not large and grand, but many of the historical aspects of the building are preserved, flooring, vault and original elevators. Most of the front desk staff was nice, though I did encounter a couple with less than impressive attitudes. As is the case with larger hotels, internet access in the room was available for a fee. The lobby does provide 3 workstations available to guests; however they are located in a very cramped area in the lobby where others can readily view what’s going on at the workstations.
The rooms appear to have original hardwood floors. My room was on a club level, which I assume meant a larger room. This room was a very nice size as was the bathroom. The club level lounge was not open, so can’t speak to the quality of the services available. I did peek in the door, appears to be a very small room. I found it interesting a half full wine glass left on a table in the elevator lobby of my floor remained there the entire weekend; at least the amount of wine in the glass didn’t go down over the weekend.
The rooftop bar is a nice setting for an afternoon cocktail. Don’t expect anything fancy or exceptional service (i.e. don’t be in a hurry). While the building displayed signs about being a smoke free building, smoking was allowed on the roof top bar. This is not a large area, and call fill up fast, making getting service even more difficult.
This is not the most luxurious hotel, but found the room comfortable, clean and quite. The downtown location allows easy access to downtown sites and interstate access.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Thank you so much for reviewing your stay! The hotel has in fact as you stated retained many of its historical features. Back in 1913 when it was built it was called the Palmetto Building which was a bank at the time. The original hardwood floors, mosaics, elevators, bank vault, and mail system are just a few of the historical aspects that we are pleased to have guests enjoy. I am sorry to hear that you did not get to enjoy th e club lounge however we are in the process of redesigning and rennovating it, and upon your future stay hopefully you will get to enjoy it. While I am pleased to hear that you had good service for the most part, however it saddens me that your experience in its entirety was not the case. I assure you that conversations will be had in order to ensure nothing but optimal service is had in the future. Once again, thank you for your time and helpful critique. Please feel free to contact me at parke@sheratoncolumbiahotel.com if you would like to discuss anything further. Thanks!
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

I did not know that the hotel was as nice as it was before coming and the service was even better.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
Thank you so much for the great review!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

Hotel decor was modern, staff was excellent from airport pick up, to front desk, all three resturants even housekeeping. I loved my hardwood floors, bedding, toiletries and stand up shower. The area was buzzing all night.

• Stayed February 2011
Thank you for the great review! We are so happy that you had the opportunity to enjoy some of the great ammenities we have to offer; P.O.S.H., Mainstreet Restaurant, the Roof Top Bar, and our SweetSleeper beds to name a view. We look forward to having you as a guest in the future.
Columbia, SC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

I hate writing negative reviews. This is only the second negative I have ever written and they were both in the last two months AND they were BOTH STARWOOD PROPERTIES. But we aren't talking about little stuff or things you should know ahead like room size or location. We are talking about things this hotel is KNOWN for and that you would choose this hotel for and it no longer even existing. The BAD DEFINITELY outweighed the good. Unfortunately. Here we go.
First, know we LIVE in Columbia and got a Groupon deal for $125 for a night with champagne, strawberries, breakfast and a restaurant credit. Additionally we had to pay ALL service taxes and fees, gratuities, valet ($18), food and drink over and above, ect... Which we expected and was fine. My husband and I wanted to do something less expensive than a full vacation to celebrate 10 years as a couple. I called the hotel when I made the reservation in January and twice the day of our stay and I had mentioned this was a special occasion. NO mention was made of ANY of the following.
The good:
- People complained about the room size in other reviews. We thought the room was great! Small but cozy, well laid out, great temperature control. Shower pressure and water temperature lacked considerably but that is minor.
- The food in the Main St. Restaurant was very good and extremely large portions BUT we will get to their bad health rating and why we couldn't eat at P.O.S.H. in the 'BAD'.
- Room service was on time with our champagne and strawberries BUT the strawberries... see the 'BAD'.
- Breakfast Buffet was ample and tasty although over-priced at $12.45 a person
The BAD:
- P.O.S.H. restaurant no longer exists. Period. IT DOES NOT EXIST. Closed. They still advertise it. They have a bunch of entrees displayed in the elevator that aren't available in the bar restaurant . The only thing served in the P.O.S.H. area is breakfast. I was told they are going to 'expand' the Main St. subterranean bar menu to be more 'pub'. Which it already is. So no elegant dining for our evening. We had assumed we would be eating at P.O.S.H. and when we went down to the dank underground bar and saw a guy in flip-flops eating fries and the B health rating we weren't excited. We even called two or three restaurants within a half mile walk but it was 7pm on a Friday and the earliest we could have had dinner was 8:45pm. Taking the car out would have cost us an additional $18 for valet. We had only been there 1.5 hours.
- A "B" health rating on a restaurant in SC is NOT GOOD. I have worked in restaurants and my husband works for major grocery chain. A's are EASY to maintain. Not only is the Main St. grill rated an 83 right now - it has DROPPED from an 89 last April. That is terrible. And the health department makes it EASY to correct your rating and get your score back up in less than two weeks. What are they doing? We NEVER would have eaten there based on that alone if we had had ANY choice after finding out P.O.S.H. was closed.
- The VAULT martini bar is 'Temporarily Closed' Yep. One of the reasons I chose this for a getaway within our own city was the unusual aspects like the Vault Martini Bar, The P.O.S.H. and the Rooftop Bar all in one place. They had lost a bartender so the bar was gated and locked. Yippee.
- We went to the Rooftop Bar for drinks immediately after checking in to enjoy the sunset. The impression the website and photos give you is a relaxed upscale bar overlooking the city right? Nope. Run-down, torn-up college level bar with 1 bartender and one barback for OVER 40 customers. No place to get 'inside' away from the wind and cooling air, had to bus our own spot and she had to keep asking people if they would take their drinks in whatever glass she had available because none of the traditional ones were clean. Wasn't her fault - she was clearly left hanging by her GM but it took over 30 minutes to get a mojito. In a martini glass. And sunset? Not on that side of the building.
- The strawberries that were delivered to the room were a bit worrisome. The 'green' tops were ALL crusty brown and actually pretty frightening. We cut the tops off and ate some of the strawberries; some were pretty gritty with dirt. Let's just say if you had seen a package in the grocery store with tops like that, you would have told the manager to throw them out. My husband took a pic with his phone but it was too fuzzy to post.
- The room was clean but the lobby, breakfast area, THE DISHES WE ATE OFF, restaurant tables and cloths were dirty, dirty, dirty. This place was created in 2008 and it hasn't been dusted since. We were seated at a dirty coffee-stained two top for breakfast. Both the bread plate at dinner and breakfast had to be cleaned with our cloth napkins to be used. Really.
Overall? If your job puts you up here and it doesn't cost you anything, it is fine. Otherwise, no. I know the economy is bad. But if you are going to CHARGE as much as usual and not even offer what the Holiday Inn does in quality, cleanliness and service then YOU DON'T DESERVE TO BE RATED AS AN UPSCALE ESTABLISHMENT. This is becoming a common issue in U.S. properties. If you can't keep it upscale, then lower your star rating and your prices.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

not bad, small room but it grows on you. though.....why in the world would a hotel turn off the ice machines at 6PM beats me..,,,ok, if its loud then maybe 8 but 6PM...then you have to wait for them to bring you ice. While the TV in the bathroom is nice getting it work is another story...gave up on that. Not sure if its the detergent or water but the towels smelled awful....and that included the 2nd set too. The bars are all nice. Customer service was great. Plenty of parking on the street for free from 6PM to 9AM and free all day Sundays to avoid the crazy valet charge. The exercise room had 6 cardio machines and 3 worked...thats not good.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review! While I read that you had some great experiences with our restaurant venues, however a good deal of the rest was below par. I want to take the time to apologize for any incovenience and assure you that since your stay the problems you have mentioned have been remedied, and that you will be pleased to note that The Roof Top Bar has been renvoated. Thank you again for taking the time post this review and the helpful critiques, we look forward to having you as a future guest.
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

I was a little hesitant to stay at an "historic" hotel but my 3 day stay at this Sheraton was fantastic! Every aspect of the service was top-notch. The valet was courteous and quick, front desk attendants were pleasant and eager to please, the room service was fantastic and the rooms are beautifully decorated and very comfortable. The exercise room was fully equipped. I'm so used to carpeted rooms that the dark wood floors seemed magical. And, to my surprise, when I called the hotel to compliment their service, the manager knew them all by name. Wow! I will definately stay in this hotel again!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay! I am happy that you ended up enjoying some of the historical attributes our building has to offer, including our origninal 1913 hardwood floors. As a Starwood property we strive to deliver the highest level of customer service and accomodations and am pleased that you experienced all of these in your three day stay with us. Thank you once again for your time, and we look forward to having you as a guest at the Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel in the future.

Been to Sheraton Columbia Downtown Hotel? Share your experiences!