“A little pricey but well worth it!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 798 Restaurants in Columbia
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Janesville, Wisconsin
“A little pricey but well worth it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Seven of us went there after my neice graduated from University of South Carolina with honors! Fantastic trip and Mr. Friendly's is where we ate our celebration dinner. No reservations excepted but we were there early and got a table. It fills up fast and for good reason. The food is exceptional as is the wait staff. The decor is beautiful and different. Always get your grits! No room for dessert. This is a 'must do' restuaurant and will be a repeat if I ever visit Columbia again. Great Southern Charm and hospitality. :0)

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

New York City, New York
“Delish! Southern Food & Hospitality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Went for lunch with our son who just graduated from Fort Jackson and 6 other members of our family. Restaurant do not accept reservations for lunch, is on a first come first served. Lucky we got there early enough and were seated immediately. Shortly after, place was packed! Atmosphere is trendy and lively with lots of business people. Walls have beautiful artwork all over including lots of plaques, and awards behind front desk. The service by our waiter was great, very knowledgeable of the different dishes and specialties. Everything that we ordered was simply delicious! crab cakes nice and big and the best no filler pure crab meat. Even if you are not a fan of grits, it was really good, trust me! chicken tenders for our daughter, crispy and crunchy on the outside, tender on the inside. Made with buttermilk to get that golden beautiful color. Fried Calamaris very good; burgers were gigantic; turkey sandwich all good. There was not 1 dish that we were not happy with. Too bad we don't have Mr. Friendly's closer to home.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
North Charleston, South Carolina
“Good little wine & food spot...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

My second time here, first time was fantastic; this time was very good.

We had the stone crab appetizer with the ubiquitous faux "Joes" mustard sauce. Stone crabs are always good. We also went with the country ham & spinach dip: good, rich & creamy.

I went for the swordfish with chile-lime rub, BBQ sauce, veg, smashed potatoes. The flavors were all good though the heat of the BBQ sauce was a bit much for the delicate fish.

My dinner mate had the tuna with grilled watermelon & Asian slaw.

One noticeable thing was the difference in portion size: the sword appeared about 4 oz with 2-3 oz each of potatoes & veg. Conversely, the tuna was closer to 8-10 oz with a mountain of sweet potato mashed and an equally staggering payload of slaw. It doesn't bother me, but it looks strange & I know things like that are important to some people.

I'll be back, especially on 1/2 price wine Mondays!

SPRING
“Good food and ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Ate here tonite with my son....visiting college campus... Sean was our waiter. I ordered Blackened Shrimp and Grits, my son ordered Blackened Chicken and Grits....both dishes were fabulous! Make certain to order dessert, our favorite 'Peach Spring Rolls', so very good! Sean was an excellent server.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Salisbury, NC
“Great Upscale southern dinner!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

I chose this restaurant for my birthday, being out of town with my husband on business. Atmosphere is perfect for couples and families with older children. I ordered 1/2 bottle wine which is a great option! We had a special appetizer baby eggplant Napoleon, good flavor, but personally I thought the eggplant was tough. Maybe I just overlook mine at home. Husband had pork chop medium with blackberry ketchup....awesome! I had the Tasso gravy shrimp and grits, pretty good! (spicy) Our waiter was very personable and really enjoyed the ambience. We arrived at 6:15 and had no wait, but 7:30, they were packed! Two beers, two entrees, 1/2 bottle wine, and app $72. I would not recommend the eggplant appetizer, but overall we were very pleased!