“The Best !- I stay here EVERYTIME I am in Columbia!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed and Breakfast Package
Ranked #14 of 92 hotels in Columbia
Florida
“The Best !- I stay here EVERYTIME I am in Columbia!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2008

I am in Columbia about once a month and have stayed at other area hotels, but I have stayed at this Hilton Hotel consistently (every trip) since it's opening......Why? Because the hotel is expertly cleaned/maintained, has everything a business traveler needs, is centrally located, and especially because the hotel front desk staff are the definition of "customer service oriented" - this hotel retains staff in their employ that remember me personally, my room preference/needs, my children (who have visited and one in college locally), and always use my name (without "looking me up"). The staff (especially front desk) have made me feel as though this is my home away from home and that they are my extended family. They are wonderful. There is no other hotel in Columbia, or elsewhere for that matter, that has made me feel so comfortable and welcome. And have I mentioned the beds? Very comfortable. Upgrade to the Junior Suite - it's very comfortable and business travel friendly.
Estelle W.

• Liked — The front desk staff are great!!!! and the hotel and rooms are very clean and comfy
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
tonytam, General Manager at Hilton Columbia Center, responded to this review, August 23, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. If the Hilton brand is the best of the best, then the Hilton Columbia Center can be considered the best of the best of the best. In 2009 – just a year and a half after opening its doors – the Hilton Columbia Center was ranked #1 for overall service out of 287 Hilton hotels nationwide. Based on results from the Hilton Brand-Americas Voice of the Customer Survey, this ranking is the top recognition for Hilton Hotels. In addition to this prestigious award, the Hilton Columbia has also been honored with the #1 ranking by Tripadvisor in Columbia by business and leisure travelers and “The Best Lodging of Columbia Award” by the Columbia Metropolitan Magazine and readers of the Freetimes and Columbia Metropolitan.

337 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2008

Perfect location, comfortable bed and quiet halls (even though we stayed next to the elevator on floor 2). The only problem we had was the hot water wasn't exactly hot either morning. Maybe it was the gameday crowd, i dunno.

The hotel is right outside is the Vista (especially The Flying Saucer) and the parking garage is conveniently attached to the hotel. I didn't try the breakfast, but other guests were complimentary of it. All in all, a very nice stay without being too pricey. Do be aware of the $10 overnight parking. Also, Columbia loves to tack on the taxes, so a $170 room, with parking, ended up being about $200.

I've stayed at The Hilton's main Vista competitor, The Hampton Inn, and this one wins hands down.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — barely any hot water
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Oxford, Mississippi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2008

I recently spent one night at the Hilton Columbia Center. Great clean hotel, couldn't have asked for anything more. I got a great rate for a Sunday night, really no more than a Hampton Inn usually costs, so I thought I would try it out.

The hotel was not very full, I don't think, because I was able to self-park right near the doors from the parking garage. Because of a hill, the second floor of the parking garage connects to the first floor of the hotel, which can be confusing at first.

Hotel rooms are nice and clean. HHonors members have their own floors. As a Silver I was put on floor 5. I would assume the more elite members get the higher floors. Non-members are relegated to floors 2-4, although I'm sure that in a pinch they just put people wherever. The room did not have proper blackout drapes, which was a minus.

The Ruth's Chris in the lobby does triple or quadruple duty as not only the hotel's upscale restaurant, but also the hotel bar, the hotel breakfast room and so forth. I rarely eat beef but decided to sit at the bar and eat a steak. It was served on a 500-degree plate, and every bite was hot; but it was overcooked and I was not overly impressed. I really think Ruth's Chris does a better job on their vegetables than their steaks.

There is a Damon's Ribs next door, an IHOP right down the street and a Five Guys Hamburgers across the street. There is a Flying Saucer pub nearby and number of fine dining options within easy walking distance.

This is not a huge hotel, but it certainly felt comfortable. I hope to visit again.

• Liked — Good location
  • Disliked — Nothing to dislike, really
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
Woodbine, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

Stayed for SC parents weekend. This was the third hotel we had stayed in over a two week period and it was the nicest and the least expensive, we were glad to end our travels at the Hilton. Our package included a great breakfast, and they even gave us an extra voucher so that our daughter could join us for breakfast each morning. It was clean, well decorated and they went out of their way. Especially loved Ruth Chris, took our daughter there for dinner. We enjoyed every dish we had. After what we had been paying for food ($15. for an average hamburger at Jakes by the Lake, Lake Tahoe) Ruth Chris was a deal. After the football game we were craving the Apple Tart we had tried at dinner, so we ordered one, to go, on the way back to the room. When I mentioned to R/C that the hotel did not have any milk in there convenience shop they asked for our room number and we were barely back to our room before they delivered two big glasses of milk, free! The Hilton is were we will stay whenever we visit Columbia, it is very covenient, clean and the service is great.

• Liked — It was all good.
  • Disliked — You did have to pay an extra $10. for all day covered parking at the attached garage.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
East Coast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

Stayed at the Hilton on business and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I got a room on the 8th floor with a nice view. Elevators were quick and always readily available despite a conference going on! The Hilton is located right on the edge of the USC campus, away from a lot of the hustle and bustle of the "city".

Rooms were large, clean and well kept. I enjoyed the comfy bed and lounging watching the nice flat screen tv. Bathroom was well appointed and had very nice Crabtree & Evelyn amenities!

My only complaint was my room key did not work on several occasions, which led me to making a trip down to the front desk to have them re-swipe the card to allow access. Front desk was quick and efficient, making check in/out a breeze (even with hundreds of conference attendees!)

Breakfast at Ruth Chris's was something left to be desired, but a trip right up the block to the IHOP was well worth it! There is decent restaurants all within walking distance. Stay away from Monterreys Mexican Restaurant. Not the best, but there is another mexican restaurant place 3 blocks east of the hotel that I heard was good!

Recommend staying here!

• Liked — It was a new hotel!
  • Disliked — Pool location
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2008

The Hilton is new and is well-located for those with business at the South Carolina Statehouse or at the Convention Center (it's next door). I stayed there for three nights (Thurs-Sat) in mid-January. It is clean and the staff is competent. The breakfast buffet is a tad overpriced for the selections (I think it was $11.95) and the Ruth Chris steakhouse inside the hotel is merely your average Ruth Chris. Service at the bar was somewhat less than interested, though it was busy. Parking comes at a per-day fee.

I'd rate this place higher, but this is a higher-priced hotel for Columbia and didn't really live up to "above average" for its price range. It certainly wasn't terrible, and if you are here on business you will be fine. Just don't expect something special.

• Liked — Access to downtown Columbia and internet access
  • Disliked — Restaurant service in morning was slow, as was attention at the bar.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
bn4md1
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2007

My boyfriend and I were in town for my best friends wedding. I made advance plans via the Hilton.com website which required immediate payment for $119 a night -a steal. I reserved Saturday and Sunday nights. The website was accurate with its images of the hotel, it's beautifully decorated and brand new. The staff was impressive and our room was quiet and very comfortable. My only complaint is that upon departure I received a bill and immediately went to the front desk to clear the matter. Management was not available and the front desk disputed my claim of pre-payment advising there was merely a hold on my account. After disputing this for some time and management never having appeared, the front desk advised speaking with management later in the day. We left the state and returned to our hometown. Everytime I called management was not available and I thought the issue resolved. Within a couple of days my account was automatically charged a duplication of fees which included parking at $10 a day which came to $277. After numerous messages for management I finally spoke with a lady who after a few hours found their error but the refund took four days and my bank charged an unexpected overdraft fee.
So, please, eventhough the rate is the best in town, it might be wise to just pay via telephone or upon arrival or departure.

Stayed September 2007

Been to Hilton Columbia Center? Share your experiences!