“Beautiful Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 92 hotels in Columbia
surfside beach, United States
“Beautiful Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

This hotel is beautiful inside and out. It's located downtown close to USC and the Capitol so any sightseeing in those areas make this location ideal. The rooms and clean and updated. The fee for parking seemed excessive especially since it was the hotels parking deck. Restaurant and room service are expensive and overpriced. Our room had a great little mini fridge but unfortunately no microwave which made heating of coffee/tea impossible. Creamer for coffee was scarce, as well as, sugar packets. Curtains in our room did not close so there was street lights shining into room and no sense of privacy. Well appointed furnishings and flat screen TV. Bed was extremely comfortable. On a sour note, I dropped an expensive sweatshirt when we checked in and my husband said he saw one in the lobby on a chair. When we realized the one in the lobby was mine, it was gone. I inquired at the front desk and it was not turned in by the staff. Makes me think a staff member picked it up and kept it. So customers please be aware of possible thefts within the hotel and keep those items in your car. We will not return to this location.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

tonytam, General Manager at Hilton Columbia Center, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Kim H from surfside beach, United States,

Thank you for your recent review of the Hilton Columbia Center. I am so happy you thought the hotel was beautiful, clean, and accommodating. If we can do anything to make a future trip more enjoyable, please let us know.

Tony Tam, General Manager-Hilton Columbia Center

367 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I recently spent the night here when giving a medical lecture for a group event. This is what you expect from the Hilton, with great bedding, bathroom with immaculate tile and clean carpet with a nice business desk! The location for Columbia offers a short walk to the best restaurants (Ruth's Chris inside the property) and bars in the city. The work-out facility was only average, and my air conditioning in the room only partly functioned, thus earning only four-star rating despite an overall pleasant experience.

Room Tip: If you like a cool room in the summer, make sure to request a lower floor location.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear giguy from Tennessee,

Thank you for your recent review of the Hilton Columbia Center. I am so glad you enjoyed your recent stay at the hotel. Our work-out facility has 2 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, and 1 bike along with a multitude of resistant equipment, occasionally the variety of equipment is short of an experienced work-out guru like yourself. In cases like this, please let us know and we will be more than happy to make arrangements for you at a local gym. Thank you again for the great comments and we look forward to seeing you in Columbia again soon!

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed here one night to visit a relative attending Univ of South Carolina while en route to Myrtle Beach. Overall, it was good stay, though there were a few small items that prevented giving the hotel a 5 star rating.

Good items about the hotel:

Location: Steps away from some nice restaurants and bars. Also walkable to the USC campus. The dorm where my relative lives was about 0.8 miles. There's one hotel that is essentially on campus, but this Hilton is nicer.

Parking: Large, spacious parking garage connected to the hotel. Self park and valet available.

Property quality: Overall, the property was nice and in good shape. The feel of a "nice" hotel. A few small exceptions noted later.

People: All the hotel staff we ran into at the front desk and hallways were nice and welcoming.

There was minor cleaning item and minor maintenance item with the room -- nothing that was much of an issue. A somewhat larger problem was the outdoor pool. It was green -- pretty sure that was not the intended color of the water. Possibly an algae problem. Decided not to try the pool because of that problem, even though it was brutally hot that day.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear nittanyati from Atlanta, Georgia,

Thank you for your recent review of the Hilton Columbia Center. If we can do anything to make a future visit to Columbia more enjoyable, pleas let me know.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Hilton live up to their standard and goal of customer satisfaction. The rooms were very clean, comfortable and the staff was pleasant as usual. The onsite restaurant (Ruth's Chris) is pricy, however several other choices are within walking distance very close to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Olive C from Toronto, Canada,

Thank you for your recent review of the Hilton Columbia Center. I am so glad you had a pleasant stay and was able to take advantage of some of the facilities we had on-site. If we can do anything to make a future visit to Columbia more enjoyable, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Charlotte, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I needed to stay a night in Columbia for one of my best friend's wedding, and chose the Hilton. I have stayed at a lot of hilton properties (Hilton Diamond), and this is by far the best hotel I've ever stayed at, with the exception of the Hilton Resort properties, but you really can't compare a resort property to a regular hotel. I'd highly recommend staying here if traveling to Columbia.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Brendan D from Charlotte, United States,

Thank you for your recent review of the Hilton Columbia Center. Your great comments will be shared with our team and I do hope a future visit brings you back to Columbia.

Tony Tam, General Manager-Hilton Columbia Center
Nolanville, tx
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I travel a fair amount and typically stay in Marriotts but my client booked me in to this Hilton. Hilton's are my second choice if I can't stay in a Marriott, and they are typically very good properties. Not this one.

After checking in and going to my room, I noticed as I walked across the floor I kept stepping on something crunchy. I picked up several pieces and determined it was dog food. I kept looking around and found 12-15 pieces scattered across the floor. I also noticed LOTS of dog hair on the floor. I picked up a big and full and the dog food and trotted back down to the front desk to go to dinner. I handed them to the young lady behind the desk and asked her to have my room cleaned. She comped my breakfast (at Ruth Chris) so I thought we were good.

When I returned from dinner there was no more dog food on the rug but there was still dog hair/fur which was easily discernible as the carpet is dark brown and black. I called the front desk twice and let it ring off the hook and no one answered. As I had already settled in for the night a decided against asking to change rooms.

The next morning when I checked out I took another handful of hair down to the front desk, relating the story of the previous night and telling them that if this wasn't the dirtiest room I had ever stayed in it was close. I told them there were also several fist-sized spots on the carpet where it looked like someone had spilled glue or something that had turned hard. They apologized. No offer to comp the room. Nothing. Just "bye".

This is a great location, next to a bunch or restaurants and good if you are going to the university, but there are several other hotels in the area. Ruth Chris is in the building (which is where they have a small breakfast buffet). I have no idea how much the buffet is but if it's over $10 don't do it.

All in all one of the most unpleasant experiences I have had in a hotel recently, at any level, and certainly not what I would expect from a Hilton. I would look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Not much to look at around here, so I think the rooms would be about the same.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear Al E E from Nolanville, tx,

Thank you for your recent review of the Hilton Columbia Center. Your comments and experience are not indicative to our hotel and l would like the opportunity to address and make up your stay to you. I would most definitely like to invite you back to our property, please call the hotel and ask for the manager on duty so that we can assist you with your "less than stellar" and out of the ordinary stay.

Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

It was a pleasant experience to stay at the Hilton in Columbia. It is very centrally located to USC and the rooms are lovely. Ruth's Chris is in the lobby which was very convenient. Highly recommended for a stay in Columbia.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear ThurmanMurman from Nashville, Tennessee,

Thank you for your recent extended stay in Columbia, South Carolina and thank you for the awesome review. If we can do anything to make a future visit to Columbia more enjoyable, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Tony Tam, General Manager--Hilton Columbia Center

Been to Hilton Columbia Center? Share your experiences!