“Roach motel--stay clear!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #77 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Roach motel--stay clear!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We traveled here for a sports tournament. Where to begin. We had rooms blocked for our team.
1. I was told on the phone 2 times that we could just show up and no email confirmation or CC hold was necessary. I was hung up on twice by "J". When I informed "J" that I did not want to arrive on Friday, he told me again just show up on Saturday. He informed me that I did not understand the hotel business even though I am a diamond member with another hotel chain. I finally had him send me an email for confirmation for Saturday only. We show up Saturday with confirmation number in had and guess what....the room was given away since we did not show up Friday.
2. We had a live roach in the room. Enough said. Hence the title. Mentioning it to the front desk on check out and their attitude was "who cares." Charged my CC anyways. Since I was in a hurry to get to games on Sunday, I decided to take care of it with Quality Inn corporate later that day. Dirty rooms, stain on the comforters. We slept on air mattresses because I had read the reviews prior to travelling here and was not 100% sure I would have a room after speaking with "J".
3. Breakfast bar was decent, staff servicing the breakfast bar was not. We were down in the lobby at 6:28 AM. Breakfast opened at 6:30. I asked the person if it would be okay to start since we had to be at the field at 7:15 AM. Without looking up from breakfast she dismisses me and says "The sign says 6:30." Wow, now that's what I call Customer Service. We started in line anyways.

A call to Quality Inn to take advantage of their 100% guarantee. The manager was supposed to call me. It has been a week and no response from him. Not that I ever expected it. A letter was supposedly sent, but I have yet to see it. Must be getting here by Pony Express.

Bottom line: Stay clear and pay extra for a "quality" hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

The building, itself, presents very well as does the lobby. It's when you get to the room that the issues begin.
1. There isn't enough light. The roo either needs another lamp or it needs to have the existing walk lamps placed over the beds rather than in between them. The switch for one lamp did not work. When you wanted to turn the lamp on or off, you had to reach behind the TV to get to the plug.
2. The A/C was inadequate to cool the room even at its maximum setting. The air never got to the bed on the far side of the room.
3. The shower curtain bowed way out from the tub with the inevitable results that there was substantial water on the floor after a shower. (the shower was nice and hot though. )
4. The faucet in the sink had a slow drip. It was inaudible but it could not be stopped.
5. The bed linens were good quality and spotless but the towels seemed very skimpy and thin for a property in this price range.
6. The pillows were weird--small, thick, square pillows that were hard to get comfortable with. One was not enough. Two were 1/2 too much.

7. Breakfast was good with a large selection. However, the room was very noisy, including employees talking loudly ( and long) in the area.

• Stayed October 2013
Fort Wayne Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I can honestly say I wouldn't stay here again. I purchased my hotel stay via Hotwire and the approval rating was claimed to be 85% when actually it was 45%....some of the reviews were horrible and we almost simply booked another hotel. Now I wish I would have. May 22ed I called the hotel to see if I could request a non smoking room and no one answered this phone. This was during normal business hours and I called the hotel over a dozen times over an entire afternoon with NO answer. The number Hotwire provided me was actually the wrong number but I had obtained the correct number via the Internet. When I couldn't reach anyone at the front desk I decided to call the corporate number and they confirmed the number i was calling was correct however they were unable to help me. I was discouraged before I even left my home for our trip.

The original room /door card they gave us was 203, so we go to our room and go in and low and behold there was a man sitting in the room.....this was HIS room. They had rented us a room that had already been rented out. We go to the front desk and the young man apologized and gave us a new room but we all found this rather unnerving. Seriously, how does that happen? I was unable to sleep for the longest time that night worried someone would walk into our room while we were asleep. I was also concerned enough about this that I refused to leave any valuables in the room when we were away from the room. We are lucky that the man we walked in on took it all in stride.

I have never been in such a dark hotel room. The room is extremely dark because the wall color and carpet are dark, they should remove the dated boarder and lighten the room with a lighter shade on the walls. Our room has boarder starting to come off the wall, a large gap around the fire extinguisher in the bathroom ceiling that I found sort of disturbing, there was repair made around the iron and that was never painted so that is the first thing you see when you walk in, there was glitter on the floor and what appeared to be orange pop on the wall between the beds. There are some dirt or scuff marks on the walls and they could easily be and should be removed. Places that need touch up paint simply need touched up. We can smell cigarette smoke in the bathroom and this is a non smoking room however the main room does not smell of smoke. The rooms are entered via the outside of the hotel so that lends itself to some potential seedy behavior in my opinion. I'm not picky but when you rent a place you do expect it to beat least clean and safe. The rest is just observation because I am a property manager by trade. We are now assigned to room 325.

My daughter showered after using the restroom and while in the shower the toilet was over flowing unbeknownst to her. It flooded the bathroom and out into the hall. We are now waiting on maintenance. It has now been about one hour and no one has arrived to work on the toilet or get the water up yet. As I type this I have no idea what the outcome will be. We have requested a new room and the young man at the desk said he will check with management.

The pool is currently out of order so we didn't try the pool. We did go down for the free breakfast and that was fine. There is a really nice lady who was working in that area who was willing to help and answer questions. Breakfast was your usual coffee, breads, two cereals, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, hot sausage, eggs and make yourself waffles. We all had a waffle and the breakfast was enough to start our day. I appreciated the coffee and breakfast for sure. There is a microwave, coffee pot, refrigerator and flat screen tv in the room that are all nice. I would be happy to forgo those items for a cleaner room to be honest. (The bed linens and bathroom area were clean and there were shampoo, conditioner and soap in the bathroom)

We are at the front of the hotel and are not disturbed by highway noise however the view is a cemetery, this might be disturbing to some. We are close to the Fort Jackson base, that is the reason for us to be in town so the close proximity is nice. There are fast food restaurants close by and the hotel is right next to a Waffle House.

I really wish we had rented the Holiday Inn Express right next door. We have previously stayed at a Comfort Inn and didn't have these problems. This hotel has the potential to be better I just can't recommend it considering everything I've told you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Gainesville, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Very reasonably priced and honors discount coupons. All the amenities; micro/fridge, hairdryer, iron/board cable & HBO, fitness center & more. Although close to the intersection of I-20 and I-26 it was a quiet sleep location. Attentive staff. Nice breakfast room although the offering is mostly carbs. Although I'm rating this as "average" the price for a double was $50 was was a plus.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mount Airy, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Have stayed here before. This stay was better than the last. The room they gave me this trip was 315. Room was clean and in good shape. Stayed here on a week night. All was quiet.
No problems to complain about.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Seneca SC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

While the front desk staff was pleasant that was the best part of this experience! Arriving late in the day, being tired from travel and hungry we didn't check our room closely. Mistake for when we returned from dinner we found the room to be substandard at best! Wall paper coming off the walls, fecal matter on the walls in the bathroom and the list goes on. I guess it is their belief that they don't have to meet standards as they have the Army troops captive and are over charging them greatly. Guess again there is a Sleep Inn less than a block away pay the extra and relax!

Room Tip: Inspect the rooms before you accept them, the bedding is shabby and the pillows a joke.