“Not So Great!” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Motor Supply Co. Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 840 Restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: American, Eclectic, Bistro, Organic
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Park and Lincoln Sts.
Transit: There are several transit stops throughout the vista and downtown area, one of which is located half a block away from us. Taxis are also readily available.
Description: Located in the historic Congaree Vista with a heated patio and free valet parking, Motor Supply has been serving progressive, New World cuisine using classic French culinary techniques for over 20 years. Led by Executive Chef Wesley Fulmer, the kitchen's lunch, dinner and brunch handwritten menus change daily, featuring contemporary New American cuisine, with nods to Creole, Cajun, New Southern, French, Italian and Asian cuisine. We are Columbia's foremost "farm to fork" restaurant, working with local, sustainable farms for produce, meats, SC seafood and more. Seafood is caught off of the Carolina coast, and all of our stocks, sauces and desserts are made on site, including our charcuterie, with house-made sausages, bacon, country pate, and rillettes, all the way down to the pickles and mustard. Our early 19th century, solid-oak bar with marble columns, imported from Europe, serves 180+ fine wines (Wine Spectator's Award of Excellence, 2006-12), an extensive list of imported, domestic and local craft beers, as well as an artisan farm-to-shaker cocktail list made from house-infused liquors, handmade bitters, barrel-aged spirits and locally-sourced ingredients and garnishes.
Dublin, Georgia
“Not So Great!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

The food at this overpriced restaurant was very disappointing. The "lamb" in my lamb and pork saddle with shitake mushrooms was very tough and the dish was very bland and tasteless. My wife's halibut dish was better, but was somewhat unimaginative for a restaurant that gets rave reviews for creativity. The meal was definitely not worth the high prices.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Saugerties, New York
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We were in Columbia for a week and did a nice tour of the restaurants near the Capitol. Motor Supply was by far the best, at least for me. The menu changes daily, but I had a porterhouse porkchop with stoneground mustard gravy (over grits) which was just phenomenal. I asked for (and got!) the recipe (sans exact amounts of each item), so thanks and will definitely try this at home. The service was great and a nice wine list topped of the evening. My partners meal was also great (flat ribs), but not as over the top as mine. Will be back to try dessert next time I am in Columbia.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cary, North Carolina
“Wonderful dinner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

We ate at the Motor Supply Co this weekend during the USC Parent's weekend. Despite being 30 minutes early for our reservation on a very busy weekend, we were able to be seated right away. The food was outstanding and the service was friendly and efficient. The tempura lobster and the flat rib steak were excellent. Prices were high, but the quality was great.

Visited October 2013
“For the foodie in Columbia!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Menu is varied daily to chefs preference and offers an option for everyone. Grit cake with pork belly appetizer was amazing and bavette steak was equally divine. Highly recommend this respite from the sports bar food that seems to be all around the vista area

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Nice menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I just kind of stumbled upon this place. It was crowded and I had no reservation, so I just sat at the bar. Boy am I glad I did, what a great bartender, I think his name was Josh, but I'm not sure. I just described something not sweet with tequila and he came up with this sort of tequila manhatten concotion that was just perfect. I know it doesn't sound good, but trust me, it was. I orderd the house made charcuterie plate as an appetizer. Homemade smoked sausage, pate, rillette and bacon, all made in house, wow, super good! (see pics). Followed up by a cured pork porterhouse that was just great.

The menu changes daily and the variety is really nice. I would definitely recommend this place and I will definitely be back.

• Visited September 2013