“Best vegetarian food I have had in the area” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #196 of 824 restaurants in Columbia
Cuisines: Vegan
Denver, CO
“Best vegetarian food I have had in the area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Let me say first - I am not a vegetarian - but with family members who are vegetarian, I get to try my fair share of vegetarian cuisine. While visiting in Columbia, we decided to try Ankh Life. We were greeted at the door by the owner, who was not only knowledgeable about the food, but was friendly and seemed genuinely interested in our enjoyment of it.
I ordered the "mock chicken salad sandwich" with avocado added. Not only was it the best mock chicken salad I have had - it was the best chicken salad I have ever had, period!
Family members ordered chicken nuggets with homemade mustard sauce. I don't generally care for mustard sauce, but this was wonderful.
Food was amazing, service was excellent and the atmosphere was inviting and comfortable.
It doesn't matter if you are a vegetarian or not - don't miss this place. It is a gem!

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

71% Recommend
“Fantabulous! The food is seasoned it's hard (vegitarian)to find good cooking that is filling in the SC area.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I would recommend it for anyone who is willing to try something new! Know that it's not meat or dairy so don't compare it. Eat as if you're trying foreign food. But it truly is amazing that you can find a delectable healthy alternative!

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent food and that's about it.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Waitress was nice but not "service" oriented, meaning it took a while to be acknowledged after we sat down, she never checked back with us after food was served and we were the only folks in the restaurant. Space was dark and extremely quiet, not inviting. There was incense burning and I don't like those smells around food. On the positive, the tempeh Ruben was the best I've had. The juice was good.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Columbia, South Carolina
“Amazing food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Don't be fooled by the location and the outside of the restaurant. The food was amazing! My friend loved it too. The carrot ginger juice was also very tasty. The selection was limited to salads and subs since the place is not yet fully operational. The decor and music was tasteful. Be adventurous - try it.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Columbia, South Carolina
“No one is ever there!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

They have no website, but have a Facebook page, and they do not post their menu. They do, however, post their hours as being 11:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m. Monday-Saturday; and 11:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. on Sunday. My daughter is a vegetarian, so we decided to visit on Saturday, prior to our hair appointments and other errands we had to do. We pulled into the parking lot at 11:10 a.m. and there was no one there. The doors were locked and there was a putrid smell of incense. We will not go back. Instead, we headed over to Earthfare and had Attack of the Veggies Wraps.

• Visited June 2013