“Great Stay and I will return” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wingate by Wyndham Columbia

Save Saved
You added Wingate by Wyndham Columbia to your Saves list
Wingate by Wyndham Columbia
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   217 Lanneau Court, Jct. I-26 & Harbison Blvd. (Exit 103), Columbia, SC 29212   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #23 of 92 hotels in Columbia
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Great Stay and I will return”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

After reading the reviews I was a little worried that I had picked a bad hotel. I had e-mailed the manager prior to my stay to request a particular room type and was answered very promptly. Check-in was very fast and friendly!! The room was clean and had everything we needed. The hotel was close to the Mall and dining. The breakfast was very good. This is my first review and it was written because I felt the bad reviews were unwarranted. Thank you for a great stay!! Gary Beggs

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

434 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
algiers la
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

First let me say I am a fan of the Wingate chain. However based on our experience here they better be careful that the whole chains reputation does not slide ala the old Holiday Inns. They put us on a smoking floor when we specfically requested smoke free. I thought all of there facilities were smoke free, but not so. Then they put us in a room that had a weak air conditioner. We should have demanded another room but it was late and we were hungry etc. and we thought the A/C would catch up at night. Big mistake. And computer center was closed. Will avoid this one in the future.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Manager045, manager at Wingate by Wyndham Columbia, responded to this review, August 11, 2009
I'm very sorry for your recent experience at our hotel. We take all guest concerns to heart and will do our utmost to correct them.
If in the future you give us another opportunity to serve you, please call me directly with any problems so that I may rectify them immediately.
Again, I wish to offer my apology.
Rick, GM
North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2009

Hotel was not clean nor comfortable. Was in area for vacation stayed for only one of the two nights reserved. Room was dirty and had ants. Most horrible part was the beds. Wingate definitely need to invest in beds and better services. Was moved from room with ants and no air to room with mold in air unit and dirty bedspread. I wish for once hotels would take a little pride in their cleaning. I feel that a stay in a hotel should be like a stay at home, with cleanliness and comfort. The room we had needed to be spot checked by management. Meaning that mangement needs to periodically go behind staff to make sure rooms are properly cleaned and maintained. Food was left in the air unit causing mold and behind the televison dresser. There was even food on the thin down comforter. The first room we had there was no air, so even though the room we were moved to air blasted on low we didn't complain. We didn't drink the coffee or use the cups in the room, but if we had we would surely be suffering from some kind of bacteria infection due to the coffee cups were not cleaned, just wiped with a towel, which you could see in the cup and there were coffe dripping down the outside. The ice tray had water left in it, which definitely tells us it was not cleaned, just dumped. The glasses in the bathroom, had fingerprints all over them and and a white substance in one that looked like toothpaste. Gross!!. Very glad that we cut the stay to one night, but disappointed that we didn't get to enjoy our other day in SC due to the hotel. Only plus was fairly friendly and helpful staff, and breakfast was pretty good. Definitely will not be returning. Only recommend this hotel to someone looking for a place to sleep and shower. Do not stay if you want some R and R, will probably not get it.

• Stayed July 2009
WI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2009

I just recently returned from a trip to Columbia, where I was visiting my daughter at the University of South Carolina. I chose this hotel partially based on reviews and partially on the location. I was happy with the hotel as far as location is concerned because it was a short drive to downtown, but had a lot of activities close to the hotel to do. There was a lot of choices for dining out and the mall was right across the street. The room that I was assigned to at check-in was ok, nothing fancy, but then again you are not paying a lot for this hotel per night. The first night I noticed that the toilet was leaking. Not water on the floor, but in the holding tank there was a slow leak. I brought it to the attention of the front desk the next morning and they assured me that they would get it fixed. Unfortunately, the next night it was the same, the toilet "leaking" and filling up all night. I told the front desk once again the next morning and also said that if it wasn't fixed that day, I would like to change rooms. When I came back to my room later that evening, the problem was not fixed and so I had to switch rooms. They moved me to a room two doors down. That night the people that were in the room next to me had one doozey of a fight, which I could hear. I finally decided to call the front desk at 2:30 a. m. and noticed that I had a cordless phone on the bedside table, which I thought was odd, but picked it up to use it. It didn't work. I ended up calling on my own cell phone to complain. The next morning I did find a phone that did work on the desk. The other problem that I had was the "coffee" pot in the room. It is a single cup pot, where the pot is actually your coffee cup. I used it the first morning and left a little coffee in the cup so that the housekeeper would know that I needed it replaced, but that night I noticed that she left it on the counter with the coffee in it. I thought, no big deal, I have another cup. I used the second cup on the next day and again left coffee in it to have a fresh one for the next day. That night once again no new cup, so now I had two dirty cups and no way to make a cup the next morning. I would not recommend this place to anyone. The Holiday Inn Express is adjacent to this hotel, they share the same parking lot. They advertise a nice hot breakfast and it is only $20.00 more. I would say spend the extra money and stay at the Holiday Inn

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2009

I've stayed at this and many other Wingate Inns in the southeast, and there is no consistency in service. While one location may be excellent, another can be absolutely horrendous. This location fell somewhere in the middle, on my last stay there. Compared to past experiences there, the customer service is slipping in some areas. Not sure if there has been a change in management, or if it's a developing case of apathy, or if it's something altogether different--but the result is not pleasant.

In all fairness, the desk clerk who checked me in upon arrival was pleasant, accomodating and professional. But the desk clerk on duty the next morning was at the other end of the spectrum. She was cold, unconcerned, and just generally unpleasant. She never spoke when I was the desk until I spoke to her. And, while checking out, I was locked out of my room at 10:53 AM. When I asked her why I was locked out before 11:00, she offered no explanation and no apology--just reset my key card and handed it back to me. It's a shame that one or two employees can set the tone for an entire stay.

I MAY give this hotel another try, just to see if my last experience was just an isolated incident. Sure hope so. Otherwise, the room was clean and breakfast was acceptable.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2009

This was a quality hotel for a last-minute trip to South Carolina for an unfortunate death in the family. We got excellent quality for a great price and I highly recommend the hot breakfast. We stayed two nights and had no problems at all.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

larger than average room with a king size bed which was pretty comfortable. Walked in and didn't immediately freeze to death--air was properly set. Good shower head--all the settings worked. Plenty of hot water and pressure. Room was right near the elevator but didn't hear the elevator chime most of the time. Did hear some footsteps, but couldn't tell if it was an elephant in the room above us or elephants walking down the hall to the elevator. In either case, didn't happen enough to get upset. Breakfast is very good, with square (?) "scrambled" eggs, sausage, and fresh you-make-em waffles. Also the usual high carb bagels, danish, and cereal. Plenty of tables. Great deal for around $85/night. A little further from USC than I'd like, but not a bad drive. And right by the mall--unbeatable for convenience. GPS took us right to it--no problem finding it. Plenty of parking, even though right next to a Holiday Inn and kind of shared parking.

• Liked — room size and comfort, and breakfast
  • Disliked — rare footstep noise
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Wingate by Wyndham Columbia? Share your experiences!