“Average at best.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Beautiful Vermont
“Average at best.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

Recently stayed 3 nights while in Columbia for our son's graduation from Basic Training at Fort Jackson. Picked Country Inn based on reviews, price and location. It served our purposes but was not up to the standard I expected. While relatively clean, it certainly wasn't spotless, there was a strand of hair on the back of the bathroom door when we arrived and it was still there after the room was serviced after night one, same with a bottle cap under the edge of a counter near the mini-fridge. We had an additional room for our son on night 3, it was a jacuzzi suite and the there were broken tiles around the tub. Breakfast was fine first day but on day 2, Graduation Day, they were totally unprepared for guests all trying to leave around the same time, no plates, glasses or scrambled eggs for extended period and when the eggs came out we found a piece of plastic in them.
I would probably look elsewhere next time.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

I chose this hotel because it's right off 77, the price, and the indoor pool for our kids...the yummy breakfast was a bonus! Tip, go ahead & make your own waffles in the waffle maker-they're yummy! The room was fine, liked the furniture, the beds are super comfy. The bathroom was basic. Only complaint would be the strong chlorine in the pool - we opened the doors to the outside & it helped but my eyes were burning after a while. Maybe because it's so warm in there and it makes the chlorine stronger? I don't know but my kids played for quite a while & enjoyed the pool so it worked out. The hotel is located behind a couple others so at first you don't see it, but I read that & knew to keep driving for a minute. I'd recommend staying here, felt safe and the staff was nice.

Augusta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

This is a nice hotel.They serve cookies in the lobby ,which my grandkids liked.They had 2 swings+chairs on the porch to relax.Also,they have a indoor pool and hot tub which we all enjoyed.The staff was friendly.

Piedmont, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

My family and I decided on a last minute weekend trip to Columbia. Seeing as how that is only about an hour and a half away from home we didn't want to spend a lot for a room. We found this hotel in a coupon book and got the room for $69 a night. A steal considering it had a full breakfast and indoor pool. The main reason we chose this hotel was because of the price and the indoor pool. The room was looked and smelled clean. I was traveling with my mom and 4 children and the hotel was staff more than happy to accommodate that many people in the room without charging us extra. My only complaint is that the chlorine smell in the pool area was so strong it make you short of breath. We cracked the doors for a few minutes though and that helped a lot. The walls are a little on the thin side so you could hear if people were walking up and down the halls. There was some sort of construction going on where the ice machine is located. There were ceiling tiles on the floor and a huge spotlight by the ice machine. Kind of weird. The beds were so comfortable and the decor of the room was very nice. Overall I would recommend this hotel. It's not the Ritz, but it was well worth the money. Also I felt it was clean and safe which is the most important for me when traveling with my kids.

Room Tip: Since the walls are thin ask for a room on the top floor so you don't hear the noise of the peop...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012 via mobile

Booked hotel on priceline name your own price..the only way to travel now :-) The listed price for this 21/2 star hotel is over priced I would not pay over $100 to stay here. The lobby is nice & welcoming. The beds are comfortable. The shower had hair on the walls. Breakfast was great. Nice area.

• Stayed February 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012 via mobile

Exterior in need of TLC. Green alge on the exterior stucco. Dining area dark and small. Water in the pool and jacuzzi looks murky. Breakfast is microwaved item then placed in warmer tray. Overall, the property is not as well kept as other Country Inn & Suites I've stayed in before. Left turn from New Exchange Blvd to Garners Ferry road cans be very difficult if not dangerous during rush hour traffic.

• Stayed September 2011
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

I chose this hotel because we were traveling with our 88 year old mother and needed a suite that had a door (not just an opening) between the bedroom and the "living room," and we just didn't want to pay $200/night for the Embassy Suites Thanksgiving weekend. We had a very comfortable two night stay. The staff was extremely helpful and gave us a room right by the elevator for minimal walking. The hotel was clean, coffee in the room (just okay) but better downstairs. Breakfast was what you expect ... Waffle machine, bagels, fruit, toast, plus hot dishes that I didn't try. I noticed a lending library of (practically) brand new books to borrow and return to any Carlson Hotel. We will stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Country Inn & Suites Columbia? Share your experiences!