“Excellent Value at a Low Cost” 4 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1538 Horseshoe Dr, Columbia, SC 29223   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #50 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Hamilton On Canada
“Excellent Value at a Low Cost”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

We travel south to Florida & stop at Columbia en route. We have historically stayed at the La Quinta at exit 9 but this year decided to try this motel at exit 17. You can't beat the price at approx. $50 plus tax. The breakfast was a little sparse but the room was a good size, neat & clean, nice bathroom towels etc. The one downside was that when our neighbours took a shower the pipes vibrated badly. Fortunately no one showered after 11:00 p.m. & no one showered early in the morning.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
North Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

We road trip often with our Jack Russell so La Quinta hotels are our first pick. We know what to expect and what is offered because generally they all have the same amenities. This hotel is right by the highway so a lot of road noise and thumping cars. Learned to take earplugs :) Walked in with no reservation and a "road coupon", you know the ones in the books at the rest stops. There was a line but it moved quickly. The room was on the 1st floor by the exit so we could walk the dog easily. Beds are always the same and very comfortable for a moderately priced hotel. Good nights rest before continuing our road trip. The breakfast is always the same which is nice. Usually have boiled eggs and toast but the eggs were brown when i peeled them and the yolks were solid green and powdery. UGH EWWW. The front desk was very apologetic and blamed it on the gentleman that left them in the crock pot till the water boiled out. So I opted for a bagel. Waiting for the toaster to finish, talking with my husband. Another guest takes my bagel out and gives it to me (not very toasted) so she could use the toaster. RUDE!!! "I didn't touch it I used tongs" Oh... well thanks for that. Gave up on breakfast...... Checked out and another apology from the front desk. Packed our car and we were on the way. When looking over my receipt, I noticed the room was quite a bit cheaper than the coupon price. Several groups in buses were there so maybe she gave me that rate. Very nice surprise. One tip though. The shower is very difficult to turn on. So much so that we thought it was broken and couldn't use it. Right before leaving we called the front desk who instructed us to "pull the knob out and turn". When we tried (had to pull VERY hard) it worked. That must be an ongoing issue there. La Quinta brand will always be our first choice for travel with our beloved dog child.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reno, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

For a La Quinta its not terrible. It's what you expect. However, I was told a few times after I checked in that that area was not good. My room was OK. The girl I worked with had problems with two of her rooms. The first room the air conditioner was coming apart from the wall to she could put her hand between the air conditioner and the outside. When she was moved she had bugs in her room. After she complained the front desk told her "We've had complaints about that lately but they won't hurt you." My room was bug free but for how long? When I stay in a motel the last thing I want is bugs. The stairways were never vacuumed in the 2 weeks we were there and there was rarely anyone to talk to at the front desk.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

We went for my son's graduation from Fort Jackson - My wife, 15 year old son and myself. When we arrived there was nobody at the front desk. Stood for about 5 minutes. Finally picked up the phone next to the front desk and called the front desk thinking that may stir someone. A couple minutes after that a clerk arrived. The check in was very fast at that point. When we went up into the room it was obvious that one of the beds had just been re-made as they would do for a stay over. There were pubic hairs in the tub, a few in the sheets of the re-made bed along with what looked like sock lint from between someone's toes. I will hold back more detail on the bathroom. The carpet was filthy and there were clipped toenails around the legs of the chair. I will give one positive note on this and that is that when I called the front desk, the man apologized and was at the door in literally about a minute with keys to another room down the hall. That room was made up as it should be, however overall it was not that clean - debris and funk around the edges, dust was fairly abundant. Just because a property is somewhat run down - as I have stayed in a few over the years - that is no reason for them not to be clean. This was not clean. After what we "saw" in the first room, it was difficult to really relax after getting settled into the second room.

Room Tip: ...pay a few more bucks and choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

The employees are very nice! I read the other reveiws of this hotel and they are crazy! Rooms are very clean and well kept! Very nice rooms! Very convinient area too, plenty places to eat and shop around!

• Stayed January 2012
Tulsa, OK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

Was in town for a graduation at Ft. Jackson. Walked in and was treated like royalty everytime I talked to the front desk. Will definitely suggest anyone visiting the area to stay here

• Stayed January 2012

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Columbia NE Fort Jackson? Share your experiences!