“always a great stay” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Philadelphia, PA
“always a great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

As a frequent business traveler I spend a lot of time in hotels and can choose to stay any where I like. I love this Hampton Inn. It's a great location with many pubs and restaurants within walking distance. The free breakfast is great and the morning grab bags are perfect when I don't have time to sit and eat. Most importantly, the staff is wonderful. You can't walk in the door without someone saying hello. They make me feel welcome which is why I keep coming back.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Martinez, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for a late Valentine's getaway. What a great location! it's in the middle of the Vista (downtown district), and is surrounded by numerous restaurants and bars. The hotel itself is clean and the staff was helpful. We stayed in a jacuzzi suite, which was perfect. All in all...we will be back!
And, there is great coffee in the lobby 24/7!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Hastings, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2009

My husband and I like Hampton Inn when we travel but this one in downtown Columbia topped all of them because of the staff. Last time we were in Columbia we stayed at a Comfort and the road noise was so bad I couldn't sleep. I requested parking lot side and it was quiet. We arrived as the cookies came out of the oven but needed to eat (at the convenient and comfortable restaurant next door). We teased staff about missing the cookies but the head front desk lady promised to have cookies in our room the next night. She did! The city is renovating this once industrial part of town and the Hampton is in a renovated building. Lots of people walked to the many restaurants and businesses in the area so did we.
We were here the week of the BCS Championship and we are ticket-holding GATOR fans. From the folks at the desk to the cleaning crew and the breakfast staff our Gators were complimented. Well, we compliment Hampton Inn Downtown for their wonderful hospitality!

• Liked — The friendliness of the staff.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2009

My husband went on a business trip and me and my son decided to tag along. We stayed downtown and it was close to everything. The hotel was clean and like any other Hampton Inn. Nothing special but comfortable. Also they don't have a fridge or microwave in every room so if you want one, you have better ask. The staff was extremely nice and helpful. The hotel also had a free evening snack with warm food and free drinks. My son and I enjoy walking downtown to the library and the park. It might have seem far for some people because it was about a mile and a half away but even my three year old was able to make it with no stoller. He had a lot of fun and did not seem tired at all. We stopped at certain restaurants for food and drinks and went on our merry way to the park for a pinick. Overall our stay was good but the location is more for single people. Lots of bars and restaurants around. I suppose it was good for business people but I made it fun for me and my son.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2009

By far, the best location, quality, and value in downtown Columbia. I called this hotel home for nearly five months during a project. My team and I searched and stayed at several other hotels during our initial search for the "home-away-from-home" and you simply cannot beat the Hampton Inn-Downtown. Dining and entertainment can be reached by walking so after a long day of work, you can park the car and forget about traffic for the rest of the night.

• Liked — Location and quality
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
the4got10one
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2009

We didn't really know anything about the area before we went to Columbia but we soon found out that staying downtown in "The Vista", as they call it, puts you close to everything from restaurants, shopping and personal needs to the museum, river walk sightseeing and nightlife. This Hampton fits in with the surroundings of brick buildings and old south charm. It was one of the only hotels in the downtown area to have it's own parking lot, we found many of the hotels downtown required you to park at a city parking garage at an extra daily fee and we felt safer returning late in the evening via our own well lit parking lot as opposed to wandering through a garage to the hotel. The staff was friendly, helpful and informative. The rooms were clean, the beds had pillow top mattresses and a firm and soft pillow selection. Breakfast was very satisfying and if you needed breakfast on the go it was bagged and ready for you at the desk. Fruit and coffee was available twenty four seven and in the evening when returning to the hotel, big soft cookies were waiting for you at the desk as you walked in. All the staff acknowledged you as you passed by whether it be in the hall, elevator or at the front desk. Definitely one of the best stays we have experienced in our travels.

• Liked — Comfort throughout the hotel
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

I travel a lot and almost always stay at Hampton Inns, so I am very familier with them. The rooms and beds are consistent and comfortable, and they offer a good stay. Of the many I have stayed at, a very few stand out way above the others, and this Hampton Inn in the historic district of Columbia is one of the top three I have ever seen. The recognition (and attention to preferences) of a regular customer (even by staff you have not yet met you) is equal to what you would expect at a 5 star property. Add to that a location that is within a short walk of many of the cities better dining spots. You can not find a better place to stay in Columbia - trust me.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hampton Inn Columbia - Downtown Historic District? Share your experiences!