“Just great” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Columbia, United States
“Just great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Just what we needed to enjoy the day. We had a nice evening and the hotel as well as the staff were just great and we had a great experience. I would recommend this hotel to my family and friends. Nice location with a very welcoming atmosphere.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Taylor J, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia - Downtown Historic District, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
On behalf of the staff and management team, I wanted to personally thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent accommodation needs. I'm glad we were able to provide what you needed to enjoy your time with us.

We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Columbia!!

Hampton Inn Columbia-Downtown Historic District

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Beaufort, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

The only thing I can say nice about this place is that the staff are very pleasant and represent South Carolina well. The place should be gutted. The rugs have a sheen from cleaning fluid that gets on your feet and feels horrible. the beds were uncomfortable. the duvets had been washed - not just the covers - and were lumpy. Water smelled horrible.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Etakwill,

On behalf of the staff and management team, I wanted to personally thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent accommodation needs. I do hate to hear that your experience was less than perfect and if you had a moment I would love to speak with you.

(803) 231-2000
Aiken, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

What a nice place to stay! I would definitely stay here again! I felt comfortable, central to everything downtown (all within walking distance). I love the entrance from the street.... you can just walk out the door and you are ready to go!

Pros: central location, comfy bed, great complimentary breakfast, friendly customer service

the only Con: we paid $12/day to park. I am sure there is a good reason that they do this. It was a safe, on-premises parking lot. It just adds up if you stay there for more than just a couple days. There may be free parking nearby, but we didn't bother looking.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Wazzy22,

On behalf of the staff and management team, I wanted to personally thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent accommodation needs. I agree 100% with you that our location, guest rooms, breakfast, and staff are what makes our hotel the best in Columbia.

We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Columbia!!

Surfside Beach, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

We travel frequently and are Hilton Diamond Members:

Pros: Located in the center of everything downtown, manager's reception (6-7pm M-TH only).

Cons: Not greeted as Diamond Member, not given waters, room set up was bad and small for our family (we were given King with Sofa-bed... no space with bed pulled out), uncomfortable pillows (puffy until you use them; then get flat, tiny outdoor pool (mostly where people go to smoke (including hotel employees), customer service was between fair to subpar, missed cleaning in room (dried liquid down the bathroom cabinets, dust, hair on shelf in shower), lots of hotel taxes and parking was $12/day.

Overall, if you want to use a Hilton Property in downtown Columbia use The Hilton. It is far superior to both Hampton Inn and Embassy Suites in Columbia.

Sorry Hampton.

• Stayed August 2013
Ben B, General Manager at Hampton Inn Columbia - Downtown Historic District, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear J D,

First and foremost I want to thank you for your most recent stay with us. Secondly, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you experienced during your stay. We take pride in ensuring that each and everyone of our guests leave here 100% satisfied. It is not just the Hampton Inn motto but one we take to heart as a property. I would love an opportunity to speak with you personally about your stay and experience. We understand that while we do cater do many different guests that your experience should not be hindered and want to do what we can to satisfy you. I look forward to speaking with you and addressing any and all concerns.

Best regards,

Fayetteville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This hotel is in a great location, unless you're staying there while the city is working on the street beside the hotel, in which case, they start at around dark and go all night long. The hotel was fully aware of the construction yet did nothing in regards to not renting streetside rooms, and not advising that the work would go on throughout the night. The steamroller-looking thing they use to flatten the asphalt literally shook my 2nd floor room from 1:30 a.m. until 4:00 a.m. When I called down to complain, the operator said that everyone on my side of the hotel was experiencing the same thing and that the hotel could not move anyone b/c they were full. When I checked out, the person at the desk, a very rude older guy named Paul, didn't ask how I enjoyed my stay, so I told him about the early morning roadwork and how it had kept me awake. His response was something like, we don't control the city so it's not our fault. I reminded him that they did control the rooms they booked and that they could warn folks, to which he replied, if you don't like it, call Hampton Inn management. I think I will do just that. I travel throughout the year and have never experienced a more frustrating situation than the one at Hampton Inn Historic District, Columbia, SC. The noise was atrocious but the rude behavior from Paul at the front desk was what really prompted me to write this review and to vow never again, at a Hampton Inn.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Miloman 10,

First and foremost I would like to send you my sincerest apology for any and all inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. The road construction was something that caught us off guard as well and we are lobbying with the City of Columbia about consulting the area businesses. That being said, I firmly stand behind the Hampton 100% Satisfaction Guarantee and if it has not been extended to you, I would personally like do this for you as well as I would like the opportunity to speak with you personally. Our guests are our business and we want them to leave our hotel 100% satisfied each and every time. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Hampton Inn Columbia Downtown Historic District
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Had a nice stay here last week. The hotel is very clean and preserves the historic look of the city. It is also right downtown so you can walk everywhere. Only negative was the managers reception. The hour long reception was out of food and beer within 30 mins. Guess when it's gone it's gone. But enjoyed everything else.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Evan G,

Thank you for your most recent review concerning your most recent stay at our hotel. Through our guests feedback is the best way for us to know how we are doing. Here at the Hampton Inn Columbia Downtown Historic District we take pride in ensuring that each and every guests stay here exceeds their expectations and they leave here 100% satisfied. I will be sure to pass on your review to our staff and hope that the next time you find yourself in the city, that we will be your hotel of choice. If my staff or I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Safe travels,

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

In for a night or 2, Great Location & close to where I needed to be, Parking was the biggest issue, Morning breakfast was great & well worth the trip, Next time I pass through Columbia I'm sure to stay again

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Dear Member,

Safe travels,

Hampton Inn Columbia-Downtown Historic District

Been to Hampton Inn Columbia - Downtown Historic District? Share your experiences!