“A bit old, but a pleasant stay and great location” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #61 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Asheville
“A bit old, but a pleasant stay and great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

This Clarion is located downtown in a pretty good location. Walking distance (3 blocks) from the USC campus, a very short drive from a grocery store and Five Points, so it's convenient to most the downtown locations. The building and decor are quite traditional so if you have a preference for modern/trendy versus classic comfort, this hotel is definitely the latter. I had a free bump-up to the interior-hallway rooms on the 5th floor, which provide a nice view of the city. The bathroom and carpet could use freshening and renovating. The hotel full-service restaurant seems pleasant enough; the breakfast buffet is quite reasonable. Columbia doesn't seem to have any rules against train horns, so those can be heard occasionally at night. For the price/value though, it was pretty good and cheaper than most other downtown hotels.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Conway, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

I had an enjoyable stay at this hotel. The service was great, especially due to Veronica. She took care of me and my friend. The price was very affordable. We would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

I am a White House reporter who wanted a few days of SC rest and relaxation. I arrived at the front desk of this hotel to find seven staff people arguing with one another. In addition to cursing and being vulgar, they had no intention of stopping their fight to tend to a guest attempting to check in. I was given a room key for a room that smelled of body odor, had a wet carpet, stains on the curtain, sheets, bathroom tile and in the bathtub itself. I immediately asked for a refund and was told that my credit card would not be billed. Well guess what? The lowlives charged my credit card anyway! Now I am trying to deal with a group of degenerates to get my money returned to my credit card, fearful that the staff may have taken the credit card number to use as they choose! Avoid this place like the PLAGUE! The people are as filthy as the place itself!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

We found all of the staff to be very courteous and went out of their way to be helpful. Rooms very clean with comfortable beds.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Coastal South Carolina, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

My mom and I were in Columbia, SC for the grand opening of a friend's new business venture. Instead of making the 2 1/5 hour drive back home, we decided to stay overnight. I booked our room via Hot Wire at an incredible price. The hotel is in a great location and was very cozy. I was pleasantly surprised to find an doorman instead of a luggage rack. The doorman was very courteous and friendly. He was very helpful with assisting my mother, handling our luggage and getting ice for our room. The hotel is quaint and fill of character with its older decor. The room was very clean, the bed was really comfortable however the bathroom was small. I especially loved that checkout was at 11 a.m..

Stayed April 2010
whitey18
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

I will stay at this hotel every time I visit Columbia. Staff at this hotel were very friendly and helpful. I travel alot so when I stay at a hotel that is as memorable as this one, I take the time to let others know.From check-in till the time we checked out, the hotel staff made sure our stay there was great!The hotel provided all guest with a free van ride to the Vista in Downtown where my daughter and I had a wonderful time! Harald,our driver was so helpful and informative. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed April 2010
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2010

I was on a trip to a conference held at the Clarion Downtown Hotel in Columbia, South Carolina. I missed my initial flight scheduled to arrive at 5pm and called the hotel at 3pm to inform them that I would be on a later flight arriving at 11pm. The office clerk informed me that the shuttle stops running at 10pm so I would need to take a taxi. So far so good. Little did I know that upon my arrival at 11pm my reservation was canceled. If it was not for the kind words, patience and professionalism of Veronica, Clarion Downtown would have lost not only my business in the future, but that of my university.

Recommended on the redeeming graces of Veronica.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Been to Clarion Hotel Downtown? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Clarion Hotel Downtown

Address: 1615 Gervais Street, Columbia, SC 29201
Location: United States > South Carolina > Columbia
Bar / Lounge Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Room Service Shuttle Bus service Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
Ranked #61 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Hotel Class:3 star — Clarion Hotel Downtown 3*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, Choice Hotels, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Clarion Hotel Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Clarion Hotel Columbia
Clarion Columbia
Columbia Clarion

If you own or manage Clarion Hotel Downtown, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.