“Didn't even get to the room. . .” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #50 of 92 hotels in Columbia
Boise, Idaho
“Didn't even get to the room. . .”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We were traveling with two children, an 18 and a 3 month old. My mother and I went into the lobby to check us in while the mother and children waited outside in the rain. When we walked in, we were greeted by a really careless host who really didn't help up much at all. He said he couldn't find our reservation at first, then he said he finally found it but we were an hour early and we couldn't check in early because, and I say verbatim, 'All our rooms are dirty, yo, so you can't do early check in'.
Okay, we were fine with that, until my mother went to use the bathroom. While she used the lavatory, I went to check the cool pool area they advertise a lot. The door was open and I didn't need a key to get in. My niece is almost two. She's extremely smart, and once we show her where the pool is, she'll go there by herself if not supervised. She could easily have opened the door and gone in the pool with possible dire consequences. I couldn't believe it. I walked in, checked the pool temp. It was cold. I was told it would be heated. I couldn't take my niece in that. The pool area itself looked like it was about 30 years old. The stucco was crumbling off all over, especially the corners of the walls, the room was just dirty and unacceptable for what was advertised.

Then my mother comes out of the women's rest room. She was unable to use it due to blood and feces being all over the seat and floor. I suggest she use the men's room next door, but that wasn't much better. The restroom had urine on the floor, the paper towel dispenser was fallen off on the floor and so we just left.

The walls had large visible blotches of dirt and the lobby was just so less than welcoming. We cancelled immediately and went to the other Comfort Inn across town.

Do not go here if you care about child's safety, or even your own cleanliness. I can only imagine the rooms. ugh. I would not recommend anyone stay here at all. Spend a little more for your health and look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't get a room!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

58 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Corydon, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

As usual the front desk personnel were helpful and delightful. The lobby is clean and inviting. Parking is inadequate near the front entrance and one is forced to trek around the building to get in. my room was clean and in good order. Now to the items that keep it from being a 4 or 5 rating.
1 Queen Bed, Accessible, Smoking
Mobility and Hearing Accessible, Accessible Tub, Smoking Room, Free High-Speed Wired Internet, Flat Screen TV
It is not hearing impaired friendly. That would entail a button or switch that would light something to capture the attention of a person that is deaf.
The Tub is not accessible. It is a regular tub that one must raise their leg high enough to get over the side. It should have an opening door or to take the cheap way out, a roll in shower.
The TV is not a flat screen model, It is a July 2001 Zenith assembled in Mexico. The only Flat Screens publicly available around that time cost $15,000. This model is as deep as it is wide and has no method of attaching a computer etc.
In summary, it does have a queen bed and a wide bathroom door. It also has the universal handicapped sign on the door. I would have never known of the deceitful practices, but they were virtually sold out when I made my reservation.
As a bonus, they give you a totally disconnected phone for the kids to play with.

Room Tip: Get checked in early.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Suffolk, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

The front desk manager (I think her name is Vera), had a [--] attitude. My bed was hard as a rock, so I got maybe 3 hours sleep. I asked her if they had a cushioned mattress pad, but she said they didn't. When I returned from touring the sites, I asked a different manager and she gave me a cushioned mattress pad that I put over the existing one. It made a significant difference, but the bed was still very firm. I questioned Vera in the morning why she told me there where no mattress pads when in fact I got one that evening. She told me there were none because they were all being washed. What a whopping lie. The note in the room stating guaranteed satisfaction might as well have been written on the back of a napkin. Besides this point of NO CUSTOMER SATSFACTION and NO FRONT DESK SUPPORT, I will additionally support why such a low rating, and question what the rest of my trip will look like as a Choice Hotel Armed Force Member. I am retired so my schedule is flexible. The bed was hard as a rock, the pool was closed and not usable due to lack of maintenance the continental breakfast would not even match Super 8, and the bathtub/shower is very narrow and slippery (even with the non-slip pad provided). The room was clean. By-pass this comfort Inn & suites. There attitude may be bad because they are close to an Army base and can give solders a less than great service and lodging because they don't complain for fear of reprisal.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I called this hotel after a horrible situation somewhere else. This hotel was like a palace compared to the "other place" I would recommend this hotel to anyone that needs a place to stay for a visit to the army base for graduation. The staff was friendly & professional - the rooms were clean - the sheets were changed everyday - the coffee pot was clean and the fridge too was clean. The breakfast was ok because it was more than I would do at home on a day I have so much to do. There are restaurants close within a couple of miles each direction on the main street. I would stay again with-out a question.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband was scheduled to graduate from basic in December. Due to a scheduling conflict, they sent him to AIT (Advanced Training) a week before graduation. Myself, my parents, sister-in-law and 2 kids had all bought tickets to see the graduation. We made reservations at the Comfort Inn Ft. Jackson Maingate. Even with the change of orders form, they would not give us a refund for the rooms. Not even a voucher. Maybe if all soldiers families boycott this Comfort Inn, they will go out of business and learn to treat military families better.

If you know the military, nothing is ever set in stone. He has had 2 seperate change of orders since December and we have not had any problems with other hotels or airlines in getting reinbursements.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Pembroke, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Our soldier was due to graduate from basic school in December 2012 but the Army pushed up his graduation a week. We had paid for 2 rooms in advance. We were notified about 2 weeks before the trip (6 of us including 2 babies) and we notified these anti military people and asked for a refund due to his order change and or inability to change our airline tickets. They said no. We sent letters and emails and got the bureaucratic response...No refunds.
We were out over $600.00. BTW my wife and I both retired from the US Navy and our son is on active duty with the Navy in the Middle East.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Amy (daytime Front Desk Auditor) made the stay all the rage. I did not want to stay at first because I was put in a smoking room although my Priceline profile is nonsmoking. She showed me that Priceline DID NOT send over request. She gladly found me a room in their sold out hotel. Amy comes across a little aggressive but she is the sweetest person you can know.

It was kind of an older property and had a musky order. Other than that, the housekeeping department kept the property IMMACULATE. I travel 60-70% of my life and never have I stayed in a hotel that is kept this clean. My stay at a 5-star property before coming here paled in comparison when comparing cleanliness of the towels, bedding, floors, and furnishing in the room. I think the head housekeeper was Ms. Pearl. She wasn't very approachable but interestingly enough, Amy could get her to do anything to make the guests stay better.

I will stay at this hotel again. Not because it's better than the other properties around it but because of AMY. She helped me weeks before my actual trip. She took time to help me calculate the difference between renting a car versus taking a taxi. Her insight into that fact alone saved me $150 on my overall trip. The breakfast is very good. The host for the breakfast, sorry I can't recall her name, was the most pleasant morning person; only 2nd to me. Her "Hello, good morning, help yourself..." were effortless. The property is literally off exit #9, only a brief 5 minutes’ drive from the front gate of Fort Jackson. By the way, there's a Costco, Sam's, Wal-Mart, and (my favorite) Dollar Tree off exit #12 (front gate exit for Fort Jackson). There are many places to eat within 5-10 minutes’ drive, depending on your taste buds. When in doubt, just ask Amy or anyone at the front desk. They are very knowledgeable about the area. Have fun!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Comfort Inn Ft. Jackson Maingate? Share your experiences!