“Nice place for a quick visit to town” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbia-Fort Jackson

You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbia-Fort Jackson to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbia-Fort Jackson
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   7329 Garners Ferry Road, Columbia, SC 29209   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #23 of 93 Hotels in Columbia
Massachusetts
“Nice place for a quick visit to town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2009

The hotel was easy to get to, the staff was friendly, the room was as advertised. The room was pleasant, well laid out, the shower was really nice. The beds are very comfortable. The walls are somewhat thin. Overall, a pleasant stay.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Jacksonville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

I stayed at this hotel while in town on business. The staff was very rude upon checking in. My room had a bad odor. There was hair in the shower and the bedding. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Mateo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2008

I stayed two nights in mid-December at the Holiday Inn Express Fort Jackson. The hotel is easy to reach being close to Exit 9 on I-77. I had a king suite at the AAA rate of $134. My room was acceptably quiet. The staff was friendly and helpful. The shower was good with lots of hot water. There is one computer and a printer in the business center. Breakfast was only fair. I had no security concerns.

Avoid the Waffle House next door--I thought the food at lunch was poor. It may be better at breakfast because it was packed then when I went to buy a local newspaper. I found a good place downtown for lunch: Atlantic Bread on Main Street just north of the capitol.

The Columbia Museum of Art at Main and Hampton is very nice and above average for a small city.

• Stayed December 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Detroit
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2008

The only time in my life where I felt I was personally in danger was at this hotel. And I am from Detroit.

We arrived back from visiting family and four thugs, one reaching into his shirt, approached us in the corner of parking lot where I parked avoid car door damage. I was ready to swing a $5000 camera to catch the person off-guard to give an idea of how close thay came. I am not sure if he was reaching for a weapon, but he was lucky I cannot transport my .357 Magnum firearm from Michigan...

The rear entry door at the pool was not able to lock even though it is a keyed entry door. We just setup another reservation there for 2009 and the front desk clerk laughed and admitted that the door is still not secure. I have serious doubts about staying at this hotel again.

The kid working at the front desk in May 2008 said she was aware of and knew "the thugs". This doesn't leave me with a good feeling about this hotel. I travel the world on business and have plenty of miles/points to stay wherever I wish. Beware of possible issues at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Westminster, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2008

I was excited to stay here based on the positive reviews and photos of the property on the HIE website. It is a very-UNLIKE HI Express proptery. The lobby area is gorgeous and the rooms' decor are more like a fancy botique hotel in Europe. It's a new design conecpt I've not seen at HI Express properties and hope it will be utlized in other properties. It's all very chic, from the carpeting to the furnishings to the breakfast area and meeting rooms, deep earth tones throughout and all nicely done.

I even got upgraded to a suite based on being a platinum member with Priority Club--awesome I thought. However, there were a number of things about the room and property that were disappointing and will cause me to not return on future Columbia visits.

The suite had very comfortable bed with a leather backing against the wall, 2 flat-screen TVs and a sunken living area that had hardwood flooring and leather sofa and "cubed" table. I really loved the decor. But these are the issues I found:

1) The walls are beyond paper thin. When you can easily hear conversations and laughter, and toilets flushing and showers of adjoining rooms, feet in rooms above, and cleaning staff in rooms above cleaning the hardwood floors so loud it shakes you out of bed, there is something wrong. This hotel also earns my room Door-Slam Alert -- unfortuantely nothing to quiet the room doors from slamming everytime someone goes in/out of the room.

2) The room had a very strong smell of must, or more accurately, old newspaper. At least I hope against hope that is what the smell was. You can't open the windows for fresh air. It was very noticeable upon entering and just being in the room. The heating/AC system was fine, but my sinuses played havoc with me.

3) Very disconcerting to me was--for an almost new property--how marked up the room doors were. Scratches, dings, other marks, all over most doors (painted brown), at least on the floor I was on. To top that off, one of the elevators had some grafitti keyed or scraped into the plating above the buttons -- something I would only expect to see in a gas station bathroom.

4) The young lady at the front desk who checked me in and out, really couldn't have cared less and seemed like the last place she wanted to be was at the job she was doing. I normally never comment on front desk staff, but this young lady was not just unwelcoming, she seemed so apathetic she didn't seem to really give a damn about anything, and I notified her of the above issues.. The manager seemed friendly and helpful and I wanted to speak with one of them, but I got stuck with this person -- not the first impression you want to make, especially at a new hotel.

So with all of this, I am very disappointed that with all the money that was likely spent on decor and interior design, very little thought was put into soundproofing and upkeep of the interior of the property. Columbia is never an affordable lodging destination--and I work in the hospitality industry--and for what you are paying here, there are better choices in the area. It's convenient to Fort Jackson but that's about it.

• Liked — The botique-theme of the hotel, lovely decor
  • Disliked — Paper-thin walls, musty smell of room, degradation of interior property doors & elevator, poor front desk representative
  • Stayed November 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2008

We stopped there on the way to Florida, and picked it because of other reviews here. Things got off to a bad start on arrival, as we had been assigned one of the 2 worst rooms in the place - first floor by the elevator and the breakfast area. We asked for a room change, and were promptly moved to a better room on the top floor. After that, things went fine. The room was large and clean, and we did not hear a lot of road noise. Breakfast was good, and there were a decent number of tables. We have stayed at other places in the Columbia area on the way to Florida, and I think this is the best one of all. I would go back again.

• Liked — Clean and new
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Port St. Lucie, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

Stayed here for one night passing through from PA to Florida based on the reviews found on this site. I have to agree that this is one of the nicest rooms we have had in a while. It was large and spacious with a clean modern feel. Loved the ceiling fan and the separate work area. The large screen TV was also a treat! For the price we paid, I felt like I was staying at a higher end hotel. I actually thought we had been upgraded but after checking with the desk they assured me we were in a standard king room. The bed was just heavenly and it was close to many restaurant choices. We would definitely stay here again and recommend this property to others.

• Liked — Comfortable bedding
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Columbia-Fort Jackson? Share your experiences!