“Disappointed” 1 of 5 stars
Review of University Inn & Conference Center

You added University Inn & Conference Center to your Saves list
University Inn & Conference Center
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1310 Tiger Blvd., US Highways 76 & 123, Clemson, SC 29631 (Formerly Ramada Inn)   |
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Clemson
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

Unfortunately we didn't arrive until late in the evening on a busy weekend which prevented us from leaving and finding another place to spend the nght. I could tell immediately we had picked the wrong place because the pictures on the webaite look totally different than the real thing. Our room was nasty looking, stained towels, wallpaper coming down and the stench from all the smoking was horrible. Dont stay here if you have any choice at all, nothing much could be worse.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Hanahan, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

I have never before taken the time to write a review but I feel the need to warn people. Total dump! Do not believe the pictures they show on line. The air was broken (w/out of order sign duct taped to box); broken old furniture, yellow pealing wall paper, roaches in the light fixtures, and the curtains were tied back with wire coat hangers - seriously. We thought we were being punked and my kids were looking for the hidden cameras. We left immediately and had our money refunded. We went down the road to a MUCH nicer place for LESS money than they were charging.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Booked a hotel room for an associate. There was an issue checking in and the reservation wasn't used, but a new one created for my associate. Charged for room and no-show fee. Emailed Karen Garisson, the person I was referred to to solve the issue, twice in 30 days with no response. When I finally called, she said they weren't responsible because I booked through bookings.com. After waiting a month to actually speak to Ms. Garrison, I still have no resolution, and am beyond disappointed with this hotel and their customer service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Greenville, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

I have stayed here once before with a group of people I was traveling with and I thought it was pretty gross but a great price (ask for manager's special). When I came back (only because a friend had pre-paid for all of our rooms) I first noticed the sign outside that said UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT. Then when we arrived the pool looked clean and there were towels stocked up. Then the next day when the breakfast area was set up I saw how much that had improved as well! The friendly staff asked me if I wanted extra cinnamon buns before she threw them away and I was very impressed. I hope they keep making these great changes! A for EFFORT!

Room Tip: Ask for manager's special and ask for a pool side room! They can get kinda warm especially in th...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Lenox, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

The hotel wasn't too bad for the price, however the man at the front desk was a total jerk! When I called in the morning from my room to inquire about the checkout process he told me it was hotel policy that I go to the front desk and check out, then he hung up on me. When I went to the front desk he completely ignored me until I spoke up and asked why I couldn't leave my keys in the room. He then began yelling at me about hotel policies! I told him I would like to speak to a manager about the way he is speaking to me. He refused to give me his name or a managers name. Then he told me to leave without doing my check out or giving me a receipt! I called several times to speak to the manager and never got in touch with him. I would much rather pay the extra money next time to stay somewhere else and be treated with respect!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Johnston, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

This is the first time that I have taken time to write a review for a hotel in my 36 years of travel. Also the first time I have ever gone back to the desk, demanded that my card not be charged, and left. I would rather have slept in my car. The carpet was worn to the point of having holes. Light duty extension cord ran UNDER the carpet to an ancient tv that did not work. Unknown substance on sheets. Only one lamp in room. Holes in upholstery. Bathroom stinks (literally). If a competent inspector checked this place it no doubt be shut down.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

For those of you that stayed at the Ramada years ago, this is not the same hotel. Even if it's the only thing available, I still don't recommend booking. Stay in Greenville, Anderson, Easley, Seneca, and commute to the game. There are plenty of pay for parking places in town where you can drop 30 bucks or so and get a good spot.

So why should you not stay here? Hmmm... where do I start. The outside of hotel looks like it hasn't been touched in about 15 years. Mildew growing up the walls, no landscaping at all. Inside, the staff was helpful enough although we didn't really have to use them for anything. After we had booked the hotel (it was the only thing available for the FSU v. Clemson weekend), we read the reviews and had prepared ourselves for what we were in for. The indoor pool was a weird green color and a guy came at one point to put chemicals in the pool and just opened a packet and sprinkled it in. Didn't seem to measure anything or really seem to know what he was doing. Probably the reason for the green color.

So let me summarize this with a series of quick bullet points:
- No landscaping anywhere. Inside, outside. The palm trees inside around the pool are starting to yellow.
- The wallpaper is discolored and peeling everywhere in the hotel. There were some areas where the wallpaper had peeled and they just took two squares from elsewhere in the hotel and just through some Elmers on it and slapped it on the torn spot. Like putting a small piece of toilet paper on a place where you nicked yourself shaving.
- The outside doors to enter the building don't work other than the main entrance in the lobby.
- The walls are paper thin. We were woken up at 11:30 and then 2:30 both nights as college students came back from partying. Could hear everything they said and every bump that may have occurred in their room -- moving furniture, moving bags, kegstands, who knows...
- The queen sized beds are not queens by any means. They may be a slightly small full/double, so if you're planning on doubling up in one of them and it's not a kid, prepare yourselves for this. Luckily, I brought an air mattress.
- They gouge you on game weekends. $250/night for a mess of a hotel.
- There was a huge yellow discoloration in the middle of the TV so Kirk Herbstreit looked like a ghost on the set of Gameday. Not a huge deal, but for $250 a night, I'd expect more than an old CRT TV and a busted bulb.
- The restaurant that was a part of it is closed (which is probably a good thing).
- None of the vents had been cleaned.
- The carpet felt damp in one area.

In conclusion, if you stayed at the Ramada Inn in the late 90s when the restaurant was Rockhoppers and it was a relatively decent place, this isn't it. But the way to explain it would be to imagine what it would be like if someone hadn't touched that hotel since 1998. That's what it is now. Like when a local strip mall closes up and you just watch it get worse and worse until all of a sudden there's grass growing through the concrete, junkies on the corner, and the roof is caved in.

In one word, depressing.

Room Tip: If you insist on staying here, don't get a room on the atrium side, bring headphones or some sor...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to University Inn & Conference Center? Share your experiences!