“Front desk staff beyond rude” 1 of 5 stars
Review of University Inn & Conference Center

Save Saved
You added University Inn & Conference Center to your Saves list
University Inn & Conference Center
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1310 Tiger Blvd., US Highways 76 & 123, Clemson, SC 29631 (Formerly Ramada Inn)   |
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Clemson
Lenox, Massachusetts
“Front desk staff beyond rude”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

The hotel wasn't too bad for the price, however the man at the front desk was a total jerk! When I called in the morning from my room to inquire about the checkout process he told me it was hotel policy that I go to the front desk and check out, then he hung up on me. When I went to the front desk he completely ignored me until I spoke up and asked why I couldn't leave my keys in the room. He then began yelling at me about hotel policies! I told him I would like to speak to a manager about the way he is speaking to me. He refused to give me his name or a managers name. Then he told me to leave without doing my check out or giving me a receipt! I called several times to speak to the manager and never got in touch with him. I would much rather pay the extra money next time to stay somewhere else and be treated with respect!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Johnston, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

This is the first time that I have taken time to write a review for a hotel in my 36 years of travel. Also the first time I have ever gone back to the desk, demanded that my card not be charged, and left. I would rather have slept in my car. The carpet was worn to the point of having holes. Light duty extension cord ran UNDER the carpet to an ancient tv that did not work. Unknown substance on sheets. Only one lamp in room. Holes in upholstery. Bathroom stinks (literally). If a competent inspector checked this place it no doubt be shut down.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Clemson hotels

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

For those of you that stayed at the Ramada years ago, this is not the same hotel. Even if it's the only thing available, I still don't recommend booking. Stay in Greenville, Anderson, Easley, Seneca, and commute to the game. There are plenty of pay for parking places in town where you can drop 30 bucks or so and get a good spot.

So why should you not stay here? Hmmm... where do I start. The outside of hotel looks like it hasn't been touched in about 15 years. Mildew growing up the walls, no landscaping at all. Inside, the staff was helpful enough although we didn't really have to use them for anything. After we had booked the hotel (it was the only thing available for the FSU v. Clemson weekend), we read the reviews and had prepared ourselves for what we were in for. The indoor pool was a weird green color and a guy came at one point to put chemicals in the pool and just opened a packet and sprinkled it in. Didn't seem to measure anything or really seem to know what he was doing. Probably the reason for the green color.

So let me summarize this with a series of quick bullet points:
- No landscaping anywhere. Inside, outside. The palm trees inside around the pool are starting to yellow.
- The wallpaper is discolored and peeling everywhere in the hotel. There were some areas where the wallpaper had peeled and they just took two squares from elsewhere in the hotel and just through some Elmers on it and slapped it on the torn spot. Like putting a small piece of toilet paper on a place where you nicked yourself shaving.
- The outside doors to enter the building don't work other than the main entrance in the lobby.
- The walls are paper thin. We were woken up at 11:30 and then 2:30 both nights as college students came back from partying. Could hear everything they said and every bump that may have occurred in their room -- moving furniture, moving bags, kegstands, who knows...
- The queen sized beds are not queens by any means. They may be a slightly small full/double, so if you're planning on doubling up in one of them and it's not a kid, prepare yourselves for this. Luckily, I brought an air mattress.
- They gouge you on game weekends. $250/night for a mess of a hotel.
- There was a huge yellow discoloration in the middle of the TV so Kirk Herbstreit looked like a ghost on the set of Gameday. Not a huge deal, but for $250 a night, I'd expect more than an old CRT TV and a busted bulb.
- The restaurant that was a part of it is closed (which is probably a good thing).
- None of the vents had been cleaned.
- The carpet felt damp in one area.

In conclusion, if you stayed at the Ramada Inn in the late 90s when the restaurant was Rockhoppers and it was a relatively decent place, this isn't it. But the way to explain it would be to imagine what it would be like if someone hadn't touched that hotel since 1998. That's what it is now. Like when a local strip mall closes up and you just watch it get worse and worse until all of a sudden there's grass growing through the concrete, junkies on the corner, and the roof is caved in.

In one word, depressing.

Room Tip: If you insist on staying here, don't get a room on the atrium side, bring headphones or some sor...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
cincinnati
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Just about the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Looks as bad on the inside as it does from the outside. Holes in the bedspreads. Mold in the bathroom. Terrible smell. Dirty carpet. Trash on the outside. Yes, it is in Clemson so if you're going to a game it is convenient. But with the traffic trying to get out of the tailgate spots you might as well sleep in your car and be more comfortable.

Room Tip: None of them
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Somerset, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

This is not a luxury hotel but it is very functional and was fine for our one night stay. The first room they gave us had not been serviced and we had to be moved to another room, which was on the first floor by the pool. Breakfast items are provided near there so the room was convenient for that. It is an older hotel and could use some refurbishing but suited our purpose.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room on the first floor, you have access to the indoor pool from a sliding door an...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
SC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I booked this back in June for Parent's Weekend - we wanted to stay just one night & most hotels in the area require two nights so I was thrilled to find this. We also didn't want to have to drive back to I-85 for a hotel room.

I was fooled into thinking because it had the word 'University' in it that it was associated with Clemson. It has had a Tiger paw on the sign - not sure what the copywright laws are but Clemson needs to look into having this changed because they don't want to be associated with this.

We paid $100 for this room, all other rooms were $275/night. Was it worth the savings? To us, yes. But you get what you pay for (sometimes less)

The good -the staff was very very nice and the bed was comfortable.

The bad - When we got there to check in a Serv Pro water damage company vehicle was out front. The A/C in our room did not work, there was no knob for the hot water on the sink, and there were numeous mystery spots on the carpet. There were cigarette butt stains by the sink and 3 cigarette burn holes on the blanket on the bed.

Our A/C started working at some point during the night but it was still a warm stay. We didn't bother going to the breakfast as we went out to eat.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Let me sum things up by simply stating....DO NOT STAY HERE! The only positive thing about this hotel is that the location is great for Clemson games. Other than that, it is a disaster. The building should honestly be demolished or gutted and start over. At the time of our stay (Sept 6) rooms were flooded, air conditioning not working, smells coming from hallways and rooms were bad, wall paper not even affixed to the wall, missing signage was colored in with markers or with stickers. Oh....and if you have allergies you are in for a treat. Only reassuring thing was that there were others in the same boat and looked as shocked as we were to find ourselves staying in this dump. We paid $89 + taxes for this experience.

Room Tip: There isnt a good room to be found in the building - only tip I can give is.....dont stay here!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to University Inn & Conference Center? Share your experiences!