“Really nice stay, beautiful grounds- if you are visiting Clemson stay here!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of James F. Martin Inn

You added James F. Martin Inn to your Saves list
James F. Martin Inn
230 Madren Center Drive, Box 345673, Clemson, SC 29634   |
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Clemson
Wheaton, Illinois
“Really nice stay, beautiful grounds- if you are visiting Clemson stay here!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I spent 2 nights here last weekend (Nov 9-11, 2013) clean hotel, great staff and beautiful grounds. Golf course on site looks beautiful. The only reason it did not get 5 stars- continental breakfast that came with our room was pretty scarce- we got there with an hour and a half to go with the breakfast buffet and there was next to nothing to choose from- fresh fruit almost ALL gone, no yogurt, you could get a waffle, plain bagel or cereal- muffins and pastries almost all gone too except for the big chocolate ones. Also fitness center- really small only 3 machines, no treadmill. And lastly, walls on the thin side, could hear our neighbors and their alarm clock even woke me up - I was trying to figure out how to shut it off when I realized it wasn't mine! However, room nice size- had a micro and mini fridge (which did hum a bit), bathroom nice size and the proximity to campus great. The best thing about this hotel- the BEDS were GREAT!

Room Tip: make sure you are away from elevator
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
ClemsonCCI, Public Relations Manager at James F. Martin Inn, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
We have listened to your feedback and made some adjustments. We now offer a full hot breakfast with your stay (Up to two complimentary per room night) and children under 5 eat free. We have also completed renovations on our fitness studio. We have enlarged the fitness studio and have furnished the room with new equipment. We are currently in the process of room renovations-- complete with sound proofing efforts! Thank you for your suggestions in making our property even better.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

The James F. Martin Inn is attached to the Clemson University Conference Center and was recommended to me by the staff at Clemson. I'm sure they've never stayed here however. The first room I was given when I arrived after 10 PM was on the ground floor and had an exterior door to the grounds of the Inn. A single female traveler doesn't necessarily prefer this type of room for security reasons. Food service ends at 10 PM, so no dinner or snack was available for this weary traveler. Additonally, the room had adjoining room access and I could easily hear the T.V. and phone conversation the next door guest was having. So I went back to the desk and asked to change rooms. Fine and well. I was given a different room on the 4th floor also facing Hartwell Lake and a lovely morning scene. No next door neighbors the first night. Not so the second night. My new neighbors had their T.V. on and I was able to hear it very well until around 11 PM when they finally turned it off after I knocked on the adjoining room door and asked them politely to turn it down. I had to turn the room fan on all night so as not to hear corridor noise and my neighbors. In addition the tub drained very slowly and by the end of my shower, I was standing in ankle-high water. No breakfast room service - must go to the hotel restaurant and there is an upcharge for the hot items while the cold items are complimentary. I don't want to insult my Clemson hosts with the truth about the hotel they recommended, but I won't rebook here for my follow-up visit later in the year. There is a new Courtyard by Marriott very close by. I don't know if the view is as lovely, but I'm more interesting in getting a full night's sleep.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Frederick, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We have stayed here nearly 10 times......a great hotel (very clean and comfortable), superb staff (always friendly and helpful), wonderful golf course (beautiful holes)....and so close to campus. Have had several nice meals at the Seasons restaurant on the property.....be sure to eat there when you can dine outside on the patio by the lake - it's just charming.

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms are the best!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Martin Inn is surrounded by the University golf course and landscaped hills rolling down to the lake. There are only about 100 well appointed rooms. Your room includes a complete breakfast in the restaurant overlooking the lake.

The restaurant is a great place for a drink or dinner in the evening. If you get back soon enough there will be warm oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies waiting in the lobby.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north over look the lake. There is a choice of suites and rooms with one king or two q...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My son and I stayed here while on a college visit trip. Our room overlooked the lake and it was beautiful! The room was very nice and the staff were extra friendly and helpful. Very clean and comfortable. We ate dinner at the restaurant on property and it was phenomenal, however, breakfast was a little disappointing.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the lake - it's gorgeous!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Los Alamos, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Great location and comfortable bed. Basic continental breakfast can be upgraded for $8.95 or so. Feels like an older hotel with really poor soundproofing. Even with very low occupancy got stuck in a room with a door adjoining another occupied room. Could hear the tv and conversations next door quite clearly even though they were not being loud. My wife was woken up a number of times by the sound of doors opening and closing. I was glad that I had earplugs. It's a reasonably nice place with a great location if you're at Clemson and can deal with the noise.

• Stayed November 2012
Reston, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Whenever I take my kids to visit potential schools, I attempt to stay at the Inn or Hotel that is affiliated with the school.

When we visited Clemson, we stayed at the James F.Martin Inn at Clemson University.

The hotel was easy to find and clean. It was located on the University grounds. They served a good breakfast, although we had to upgrade to get an omelette.

The rooms were clean and functional. The bathroom in our room had everything we needed, including a hairdryer. It was probably due for some caulk and grout maintenance, but everything else was in great shape.

My only complaint was that I was surprised the front desk did not have more information about the college tours that the University runs. They did not know where they started, where we would park or any other information. They offered to find out, but I already had that information in the car. It appears that they are more geared toward conference events, but I would bet that I am not the only parent that likes to stay at an on-campus hotel when visiting a school. Having this information available at the front desk would be really helpful--especially for someone like us who drove many hours to get here, arriving very late and having to be on campus early. It is a small thing, but it would be very helpful.

This is a good hotel with great access to the school. I would recommend staying here if you are visiting Clemson.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to James F. Martin Inn? Share your experiences!