“Still not action to clean up this hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Days Inn Cheraw
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   820 Market Street, Cheraw, SC 29520-2645   |
Ranked #4 of 4 hotels in Cheraw
Charleston, South Carolina
“Still not action to clean up this hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

Every year for three years I have volunteered to work a fund raiser for Wounded Warriors just outside of Cheraw SC in the H. Cooper Black State Forest. Every year I have to stay in the Days Inn since the other hotel in Cheraw was non available. Last year I wrote the President of Days Inn complaining about the condition of one of his hotels. After several letters back and forth with photos of dead roaches, a swimming pool turned into swamp and other problems, I received a one night refund from management.

This year I tried the Days Inn again. The photo on the hotel's web site of a beautiful blue swimming pool is a lie. Last year I wrote about the swamp of a swimming pool that an alligator wouldn't swim in. To correct this, management has covered the pool with a tarp with some old concrete out door furniture on top to keep the tarp from blowing away.

Last year I complained about the juice machine being broken for two years with a faded hand written sign taped on the outside stating "out of order". To correct this, management has replaced the sign with a new hand written sign but still the machine is "out of order".

The room was cleaned with some very strong smelling deodorant that masked the smoke and musty smells but we had to open the door to get some fresh air into the room. Checking in to my room at night I didn't notice the rotting concert and metal stair well. My boot heal caught on some rusting metal causing me to almost fall face first into the side walk. I caught myself but twisted my ankle. The next morning I looked under the stair well to see a 1X4 inch gap of rotted stairs.

On the bright side, the free coffee was hot in the morning and the wifi internet worked well.

This hotel is an embarrassment to the Days Inn Hotel chain but they don't seem to care. With not much else in Cheraw the owners will probably continue to make money but never fix anything.

Room Tip: Try the Jameson Inn first but if they're booked, be warned about the Days Inn.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

30 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

I should have trusted the poor reviews of this hotel. I always check out reviews before I book a hotel and understand that you cannot make everyone happy all of the time. Also, my parents had stayed here a few years ago and said that while it was an older motel it was not bad. Unfortunately, times change. I reserved 2 rooms for my family while visiting relatives in the area. My first clue was while walking to our rooms I noticed the large black stains on the back of the curtains in the rooms we passed. In general, our rooms were filthy with mold in the bathroom, peeling paint on the ceilings, broken door locks, very very loud airconditioning units, I could go on and on. The "breakfast" consisted of two kinds of cereal, english muffins, bread, small donuts, coffee and juice. I complained to Days Inn corporate about this establishment when we got home. It is unfortunate that they have let this motel get to this condition.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Cheraw hotels

Simpsonville, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

Flys in the room, no remote control for the TV, the air conditioner was very noisy, and the dogs at the house next door barked ALL NIGHT!!!!! Remember: You get what you pay for!!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Cheraw, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2008

The bathtub had embedded dirt in it with rings and filth. We could not take a shower during the whole stay. Family stayed in the area thank God. There were roaches in the room and the carpet was filthy as well. I would stay outside of the building before I would stay in that room again. First impressions are lasting impressions and word of mouth is a large part of any business. The manager was more concerned about getting his money than being clean safe and fair. The towels and washclothes were yellow and dingy and hard and dry. I would not have washed my car with one of them. I am very uspset with my stay and would not recommend that any of my family or friends stay here for the next family reunion. EEEEEWWWWHHH!!!

Stayed August 2008
West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2006

My reservation was for a queen, non-smoking room. They tried to give me a standard double bed in a tiny room. The door lock wouldn't work. So they had to move me to another room and I got a king room. It was okay. Their web site said they had an exercise room, but there wasn't one. So it was definitely less than advertised. But ended up being cheap and adequate. If that's what you want, it's okay. Just keep your expectations lower than what their web site suggests.

• Liked — Price vs quality of room
  • Disliked — They didn't offer what the reservation promised or what the web site claimed they had.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't expect anything but a cheap, decent room.
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Days Inn Cheraw? Share your experiences!