“Good Food, Shopping and Fantastic Homes” 5 of 5 stars

Charleston
Directions
Charleston, SC
Ohio
“Good Food, Shopping and Fantastic Homes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

Charleston has great downtown action, lots of restaurants with tasty regional foods. I did love the shrimp & grits at "The Fleet" on the bay. Fish restaurants are everywhere but be sure to try Hyman's downtown.
Many nice small and large hotels. We were pleased with "The Venue" near the central market. They have complimentary bicycles to make touring all the old churches and houses easy.
Go and have fun.

Henderson, Nevada
“Charleston Historic Society Home and Garden Tours”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

This spring I was in Charleston for the Historic Home and Garden Tours for my third time over the past ten years. Two friends and I attended all home tours and two entertainment venues, i.e., the wine tasting and jazz concert. I will quickly add that the two events need a revamping in order to make them with the price of admission. I use forum for travel suggestions and so I feel I must share my impressions and experiences now. The gardens we visited this year, with two exceptions, were a disappointment. Most were not show-pieces but rather ordinary, others were a disappointment in size, design, and lack of flowers altogether. The home tour were very limited in rooms that you could actually view. There was only one home which allowed us to see most of it. The number of people attending has obviously grown but the quality of the events has diminished. The Historic Society may need to show fewer homes but allow more of each to be seen and be far more selective in the gardens featured on the two different tours. I will definitely return to Charleston, which is a gem in itself but will go online and find other organizations which do the same type of touring in order to raise funds. Hopefully I can get back to more beauty seen found in the homes and gardens of Charleston.

Saskatoon, Sask.
“Festiva Resorts”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

Upon our visit to the Welcome Center hoping to find tourist information we got rooked into free passes to three attractions if we partake in a vacation seminar. We should have known better.

The ninety minute seminar ended up with rude sales people pressuring us into making a financial decision that would have costed us thousands of dollars. We left with a sour taste in our mouth and Festiva Resorts upset we didn't get involved.

After internet search, we found many people are infuriated with this organization and have gotten ripped off.

What bothers me is that it started in a Tourist Information booth.

I'm surprised that the Tourism industry in Charleston hasn't put an end to this.

Montclair NJ
“Judge for Yourself”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

Anyone who has spent any time in Charleston, SC should already know what a fantastic small city it is. Beautiful antebellum mansions that just exude charm, lovely parks and great, I mean GREAT, dinning. But, I write this review in response to a January 30, 2010 review entitled "Avoid The Vacation Station..." at 229 Meeting St.
As a long time Trip Advisor member, I know how important and valued our unbiased reviews are to other members. That being said, last May during a visit to Charleston, my wife and I attended a Vacation Station presentation. Yes, it was very "high pressured" and the vacation benefits they offered did seem a bit to good to be true, but with a great deal of scepticism, we decided to purchase a membership. Thus, far our experience has been quite satisfactory.
In the first 11 months of travel as a member, we have been rebated approximately 3/4 of our membership fee, and with a summer trip planned for London, I expect to be ahead of my investment. I do admit that I am still a bit dubious, but to be fair to the Vacation Station they have thus far delivered what they promised. So on your next trip to Charleston, don't be afraid to walk by 229 Meeting St. If you're interested stop in and keep an open mind--there's no obligation. If not, just walk on by!

Connecticut
“Charm, sophistication, food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

Been visiting Charleston once a year since our daughter started college there in 2008. Just back from third trip, April 2010. Each time there are new restaurants to try. Haven't had a bad experience yet except I'd not return to Sticky Fingers -- not great enough, too touristy. Do Jim & Nick's on King instead for BBQ.

The Palmetto horse carriage tours are a wonderful way to see the city and learn its history.

The shopping along King is fun, if expensive, and the open market, though crowded, can be interesting, especially if you take the time to chat with the vendors. I especially enjoyed Jeff and Lydia Cunningham's GlassArt. They were away in Myrtle Beach over the weekend but we chatted with their relatives, who were staffing their locations.

Have stayed at Marriott Renaissance, Holiday Inn and Best Western King Charles Inn, all with wonderful experiences.

Dined at and enjoyed Hank's Seafood, Jim & Nick's BBQ, Fleet Landing, Wasabi, Tommy Condon's, Joseph's, Muse, Bocci's, TBonz, Noisy Oyster.

Didn't care much for the haunted jail tour -- not scary enough! Other than that, brisk morning walks down to the battery can't be beat!

Been to Charleston? Share your experiences!