“I love thisplace” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Alta Loma Ca
“I love thisplace”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2007

My sister and I stumbled on to this place when we decided to explore Charleston. The place is absolutely beautiful. what they call a continental breakfast, is a real breakfast in my opinion. The staff is gracious and friendly. We were lucky and got to meet the owner who shared the history of the place with us. They have a huge wrap around porch over looking the park and water front. The grounds are beautiful and you can chose to eat outside or indoors. We were only going to stay one night , but could tear ourselves away, and had to stay one more. They also serve afternoon tea, and you are welcome to poor yourself a glass of sherry anytime you please...all included in the price.
I don't understand a couple of the reviews I read, because the place is VERY VERY clean and the furniture is beautiful. The windows in the living area, are real tiffany stained glass, and they are beautiful.

When I go back to Charleston, there is no question...I am stay here
I took pictures and will try to add them later

• Liked — They were beautiful, and the staff was very friendly
  • Disliked — Nothing...I loved it all
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Charleston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2007

My husband and I live in Charleston and like to come downtown every year for New Years Eve. This will be our 3rd year staying at the Meeting Street Inn and we love it!!! We stay in one of the King size rooms and we have a great 2 person jacuzzi tub. There is a little porch off the rooms where you can enjoy wine and cheese and breakfast in the morning. If you are looking for a small historic inn right in the middle of downtown this is the perfect choice!

Elizabeth City, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2006

My parents and I stayed at the Meeting Street Inn during our trip to Charleston for my birthday in February. This was a great time of the year to see the city since it was the off season, and we got an incredible discount on our room. I had booked online and didn't know about the seasonal discount. When we checked in the desk clerk asked me if I would like the discounted rate... I would've gladly paid full price without even knowing! The complimentary wine and cheese reception was very nice as was the breakfast. The location was fantastic as we were able to walk to many resaurants and historical sights. We enjoyed drinks in the courtyard and the fountain at night. The rooms were very nicely decorated and clean, and the entire inn was decorated in the period style. Check out their website ([--]) for pictures that really do represent the rooms they offer. The staff was very friendly and helpful with lots of recommendations for sightseeing and dining. The overall experience was just great. This was the first historic inn that I've ever stayed in, and it's now the standard by which all others are judged for me.

• Liked — History, comfort, friendly staff. All just great!
  • Disliked — That we couldn't stay longer.
  • Tips/Secrets — Go in the off-season, January of February.
  • Stayed February 2004, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2006

The first time my wife and I stayed at Meeting Street Inn was over 15 years ago, and we fell in love with not only the Inn but with Charleston. We have since stayed with them 4 more times. Each time was a good experience. The early period furniture, hardwood floors, wine and cheese at 5pm, and continental breakfast enhanced our Charleston experience. During the first stay at MSI we were treated to morning coffee, served in silver, brought to our room. I think that hospitality has been stopped unless requested, however, the Inn is still enjoyable and definitely adds to the flavor of the city. It is ideally located in the old historic district, where every place is in walking distance.

• Liked — old southern charm
  • Tips/Secrets — enjoy their afternoon treats as you take a break from your daylight activitiesand rest up for nightlife
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Isle of Wight England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2006

stayed for 3 nights at this inn. Ideal location for exploring the city, with parking directly opposite. If you want to park a car i think you need to be there early to get a space.
The staff were friendly and helpful, even gave us a reduced rate when we decided to stay an extra night (friday). We enjoyed the wine and cheese each evening and the continuous coffee was good.
Nice rooms with very comfortable beds. We would definately stay there again

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — get there early for a parking space
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Decatur, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2006

If you're looking for a reasonably-priced place to stay in the historic district, there are many better options than the Meeting Street Inn.

At check-in, the staff was extremely disengaged. Not unfriendly, just not particularly attentive. At check-out, we experienced similar flakiness.

Our room (#403) had not been properly cleaned when we arrived. The door had been left open for quite some time, allowing a family of houseflies to invade our room. Even more disgusting, the rug in our bathroom had not been vacuumed, and was bursting with someone else's long blond curly hair.

The room itself was shabby. Not shabby genteel. Just shabby.

The canopy over the antique four-poster bed was very dusty and dirty. The room needed a new paint job, as both the bedroom and bathroom walls were flaking. The bathroom was in dire need of new fixtures, because the plastic sink bowl was visibly cracking.

We checked out early the next morning, and checked into the Elliott House Inn a few blocks away.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Woodbridge, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2006

My parents treated my husband and myself to a joint anniversary celebration in Charleston. My Mom found The Meeting Street Inn and we are so glad she did! Our room, 411, was very clean...not a dust bunny in site! Our rice beds were very comfy and the room and bathroom spacious. We felt as if we were in a home rather than in a hotel!
The staff was extremely friendly and are eager to offer advice on local sites and restaurants no matter the hour. A variety of fresh fruit, breads, bagels, cereal, danishes and drinks make for a plentiful breakfast and the warm ham and cheese rolls are not to be passed up. Afternoon wine and cheese makes for a nice break from the afternoon heat and often includes meatballs, crab dip, and spinach dip.
The courtyard is a lovely place to relax as are any of the many benches through out the Inn's porches.
Some details (all complimentary): Turn down service with chocolates, lovely scented soaps, shampoo, body lotion, bottled water, in-room hair dryers, breakfast, and wine and cheese (among other drinks and snacks).
We also noticed that they are constantly making improvements such as fresh paint and in the event of a rain the cushions are removed from the outdoor furniture so they are always clean to sit on. Maid service is also very friendly and did not make excess noise like many do these days.
We highly recommend this Inn and are so glad we had a chance to stay there!

• Stayed June 2006

Been to The Meeting Street Inn? Share your experiences!