“Awesome Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 57 Hotels in Charleston
wilmington, nc
“Awesome Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

My boyfriend and I booked this hotel for a weekend get-away. I thought about staying downtown Charleston, but for the price difference, I couldn't justify it. I am so glad I took a chance on this hotel. It was like being at a resort...everyone was very nice and accommodating. The room was perfect and the view from our balcony was spectacular! We were close enough to downtown to drive there in less than 10 minutes and the hotel offered a very reasonable shuttle as well. Sherrie (the concierge) was TOPNOTCH! She really helped us figure out what we wanted to do and how to get there and even made dinner reservations for us. Just a really really helpful lady....can't say enough about her service! I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

Beautiful hotel, but one morning at 4:27, the fire alarms went off, and everyone had to be evacuated. The reason? Hotels said the steam cleaning crew was cleaning under a smoke detector, and the steam set all the detectors off. Why doesn't a cleaning crew already know this? Or for that matter, why doesn't a hotel like Marriott have an updated fire system in place, so that ALL the detectors don't have to go off? I'll be more than happy to stay again, if they don't mind the fact that I might actually want to sleep the night next time???

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

We stay at the Marriott from 8/2/10 - 8/6/10 while celebrating our 10 year Anniversary. It is a really nice hotel. The room decor had a pineapple theme, the bed and pillows were very comfortable. The bathroom was a bit small but we didn't mind. The gym was nice and although we did not get a chance to go swimming the pool was nice too. One of my favorite parts of this hotel was the terrace lounge with live music and happy hour. Parking is free. Downtown Charleston is only about 2 miles away and you do not have to feed the meters after 6 pm. We had a great time and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

Very clean hotel. Staff is a five star, they go out of their way to help. We return from downtown by way of trolly one day that it was raining and the staff came directly to us with towel to dry off before even going to our room. would stay again. Only down fall is the it is not within walking distance to downtown area. Very quiet hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Columbia, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

Nice, clean room. Big new Bed. Great location to everything Charleston has to offer! Rooms could be a little more sound proof.(Hallway noise)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Old Bridge, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

I travel quite often both for business & pleasure and will typically stay at Marriott Hotels. This trip was for pleasure and I was traveling with my wife and 2 kids ages 6 & 7. After reading all the somewhat negative reviews I was skeptical at the very least to book this hotel but did it anyways as I like the fact it had a nice outdoor pool and courtyard for an evening cigar. Upon arrival I realized that the hotel indeed was located a few miles from the downtown area but really didn't find it to be a problem as it was a quick 5-10 minute drive to all the great restaurants and I would have had to drive to many of the other attractions (plantations, patriots point, folly beach, etc) I went to anyways. I arrived at noon and my room was ready for us to check into. The room was clean, a bit small but still ok even for the 4 of us. We stayed for 5 nights and on one of them the fire alarm went off at 4am! The entire hotel had to be evacuated to the street in their pajamas! As we all stood outside not a single hotel representative was around to assist us. We all stood around for a while then people started going back into the lobby with some going back to their rooms without really knowing if the hotel was on fire! I actually approached the front desk clerk who was the only one on duty at the time (and seemed very flustered) and she confirmed that it was a false alarm but if I had not asked I'd still be waiting outside! We complained to the front desk the next day and they apologized for what happened and gave us a nice credit on our stay for the trouble. All in all I enjoyed my stay at this Marriott and would probably stay again on my next trip to Charleston.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

This hotel overbooked and when I checked in they actually put us, a mom and two 6 foot tall teen boys, into a little tiny box of a room with NO beds, only a small couch, a chair, tv, coffee table and 2 end tables. Oh, it also DID NOT HAVE A BATHROOM. I almost forgot to mention that. It was just a little sitting area that connected to a hotel room on each side. They actually expected that I would pay 150.00 a night for 3 adults to curl up in a chair and 1 small sofa for 3 nights and not shower. They did not even mention that they were overbooked, they just put us in this room. We lugged all our stuff down the hall, in the elevator, walked all the way to the end of the hall, and entered the room. We tried both the connecting doors thinking that the bedroom was attached. They were locked and booked by other guests. We then had to bring all our luggage back down again and ask for another room. They were not surprised, they knew what they put us in. The desk clerk said to me that the manager put us in that room because they were overbooked.
After looking through the computer for 1/2 hr, they found us a room that was being held for a check in the next day.

Wow. Does Marriott Corp agree with this treatment of paying guests?

It is a Beautiful hotel, beautiful pool and outdoor areas. BUT you are going to be nickeled and dimed for everything you do. No free internet in rooms. Not enough parking to accomodate all guests. If you have the money to throw away - stay here. If you don't I am sure you can find better options in such a beautiful city.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Charleston Marriott? Share your experiences!