“Great hotel, great location near everything” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #39 of 57 Hotels in Charleston
greenville, south carolina
“Great hotel, great location near everything”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

I have stayed here several times. Very nice place great pool, fitness center, rooms are nice, kids love the room service.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2009

We decided to take a trip to Charleston while visiting Hilton Head. It was worth the trip. The hotel had a great special price and the people couldn't have been nicer. While it is not in the center of the town the shuttle makes it very easy to get back and forth.
We had a 7th floor room with a balcony and we loved it. The view was great.

Madisonville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

My friend and I just spent a couple of days at Marriott Charleston. We had not stayed there before and did not have reservations. Upon our arrival, a bellman greeted me immediately and was very helpful. The man working the front desk was warm, friendly, and helpful, as was the concierge in the guest lounge at the penthouse level. Our penthouse-level suite was beautiful and exceeded our expectations. (The price was excellent and affordable due to the time of year and that we checked in on a Sunday evening. I don't go to Charleston in the expensive summer season, anyway, due to the heat and humidity, so it happens that my favorite time of year to visit coincides with the best time to get a fabulous hotel at great value.) Our suite had two spacious, high-ceilinged rooms, one with two queen beds/luxury linens and decor, large armoire w/flat panel tv, refrigerator/mw/room safe, large balcony and a bath with walk-in porcelain tiled shower. The adjoining living space was beautifully decorated, with a lovely sofa, two arm chairs, a huge flat panel tv, wet bar, dining table/chairs for 8, nice art, a second bath with tub/shower combo and a second large balcony. The evening view of the hotel property, Charleston's city lights, the harbor and James Island bridge was amazing. Our stay included access to the private lounge on the penthouse level, where we had free soft drinks and bottled water, an honor bar with a good selection of wines and beers, free desserts and hot hors de oeuvres, as well as a very nice complementary continental breakfast, with a choice of cereals, pastries, fresh fruit, muffins, juices and coffee. Even though I had always before stayed in town in order to be within walking distance of shops and dining, my experience at this hotel was so wonderful that I will choose to stay here on every future trip to Charleston.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Bar Harbor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

We stayed at the Marriott on our first trip to Charleston. The hotel was beautiful, clean and very comfortable. The front desk staff was great. They gave us good suggestions for dinner and even made reservations for us. Would not hesitate to stay here again. It is a bit out of the "downtown historic distric" but easy to come and go and Charleston is easy to get around. GREAT PLACE!!

sc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

...you will not get what you ask for at this hotel. I responded to Marriott's e-mail concierge service to request the complimentary amenities & services I wanted, but it didn't make a difference. I asked for a king. They put me in a queen. I requested a tub. They gave me a shower-only room. I wanted a high floor room with riverview. They put me on second floor with roof view. And what made this stay so bad was the room was hot all night long b/c the thermostat wouldn't work and when I called front desk at midnight, they acted as if they could care less. Finally upon check out, they didn't even ask how my stay was. They don't care.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

My husband and I booked our room at the Marriott Charleston on Hotwire for $65 (just for one night on a Sunday) so I dont really have room to complain about much for that kind of deal. The rooms were very nice, the beds are the true Marriott ones with several pillows and fresh sheets and the bath and body works toiletries were a nice touch. When we checked in the receptionist was very nice and moved our room to the end of the hallway for a river view.

My only complaint is the location of the hotel is not really close to anything. We were only staying one night and we had a rental car so it wasn't that much of a problem for us, but if we would return to Charlestown for another, longer, weekend I would definitely book one of the hotels in the Historic District. WHile the Marriott is certianly nice, I think we missed out on some of the "charm" of the area by not being able to just walk outside our hotel and immediately start exploring. When we got to the city we had to drive down to downtown, park in a gargage, walk around, then drive back to the Marriott, change clothes for dinner, and get back in the car and drive back downtown and look for parking again. Again, not the worst situation but something to consider if you are looking for a more convienent hotel right in the thick of things.

Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

It all started with pulling in the parking lot. Pack some hiking shoes for the trek. There were no luggage carts or bell boys to help with our bags. We were supposed to have a king bed instead we were sent to a room with two full or queens. The front desk was adament that their computer had not made a mistake. Once they finally got it straightened out we spent the rest of the night sweating in our room. The a/c worked but the thermostat was obviously broken. We set it at 50 and it was still roasting in the room. Also there was only 1 light that worked in the bed area and the tv had a large crack. These problems were reported at check out and the front desk asked how our stay was. When i replied it was horrible she said I'm glad to hear that....obviously was not listening. The manager assured me that my credit card would be refunded and was very apologetic but after 2 weeks no refund. Upon calling for a second time I am still waiting for the refund! Horrible staff!!!!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Charleston Marriott? Share your experiences!