“Nice Hotel, Strange Area” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #40 of 58 Hotels in Charleston
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Nice Hotel, Strange Area”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Recently stayed at the Charleston Marriott for memorial day weekend and I am left sort of speechless. Not necessarily in a good way, nor a bad way, but just confused I guess. The hotel lobby and rooms were nice and seemed updated, but the area is near the Citadel and near what appears to be a semi-forgotten about area in Charleston. We had numerous small issues with our room, which were fixed by the staff so no need to make note of those. The room was not too clean, had stains on the sheets, furniture and windows, only the sheets were addressed the next day.

The one thing I guess I am trying to say is that even though the hotel seemed updated and new it still had an eerie feeling about it and you could tell that it gets left in the dust when it comes to Charleston charm. If you get this hotel for under 150.00 a night, I'd say it's a fair deal, anything more than that you're better off paying a little extra to stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the Citadel if you want something to look at.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Progerz, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback about your experience at our hotel. Our hotel is located outside the "historic district", but we also price ourselves accordingly and create a better "price/value" for our customers. We also provide on-property free guest parking, which none of downtown properties provide. I appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Avondale Estates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I am a Marriott semi-regular and Rewards member but I impulsively decided to try Priceline to see if I could get some "fancy bargain" for a fun July 4 long weekend trip with my husband. I did just about everything wrong you could do on Priceline, but it still ended up a winner, thanks to the Charleston Marriott.

I "won" a room at this Marriott but for not much more, I could have booked a very nice room directly. I dreaded being stuck in a crappy room due to the Priceline booking since it was costing the hotel. I emailed the hotel's marketing director and GM and made a very nice plea for a nice room for my and my husband's special weekend. Boy did she EVER come through.

We got a very nice corner room, King size bed, very private, nice riverview with a BALCONY, 9th floor. Wow. I was so amazed. Later, one of the desk personnel told me that they held that room specially for us. I can't thank them enough for making a potential "fail" into a winner.

The hotel is very attractive, has a decent little gym, nice pool area, a cool rooftop bar on the 3d floor overlooking the river, the rooms are well appointed and the beds "heavenly" comfortable.

And the staff is amazing - from arrival to checkout (desk people, bartenders and servers, staff attending the pool, and any staff member you just passed in the hall or lobby), everyone was friendly and extremely helpful. The adorable woman who was no bigger than a minute at the front desk not only got us a cart for our bags & my husband's guitar, she took it up to the room herself.

And, I loved the area - yeah, it's not in the hubub of downtown Charleston (which can get pretty noisy!) but it's a very short drive to downtown. Use your nav app to find a parking garage or lot off the main drag & walk a little - it's good for you.

I'm a runner/walker and I loved walking & jogging around the area - I felt completely safe - ran along the river, through the Citadel campus and around Hampton park - very charming, older homes and shady (meaning from trees, not from sketchy people) neighborhood streets.

Next time, I'll direct book but I would most definitely stay at this lovely Marriott again.

Room Tip: Corner king balcony on a higher floor - 9th to 14th - can't be beat. We were over the rooftop ba...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for being a loyal customer of Marriott and the nice comments about your visit. Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend and we appreciate all the great comments about our service and staff....Thank you very much!
Hogansville, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Our stay here was very enjoyable. The hotel and room decor was not your standard Courtyard look so that was refreshing. Nice courtyard area where they had live music for the 4th of July. Outdoor bar on the 3rd floor that was perfect at the end of the day. Very accommodating staff and drivers. The shuttle service to the downtown area was very convenient - we used it every day. Only negative is the size of the pool and sunning area. We weren't able to use it any of the days we were there as it was always full.

Room Tip: Corner rooms with the water view are great.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
progersCharlestonSC, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you very much for your nice comments about your visit and I'm sorry you weren't able to take advantage of our new pool area. We did enlarge the sundeck to accomodate alot more people. Thank you for your business over the holiday weekend and hope to see you again in future.
Cleveland, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We were at this Marriott in Charleston SC., for our Daughters surgery at the VA hospital and first of all the Hospital is in walking distance of the Hotel. The Hotel by the Police Station. We were on the seventh floor and the view of the water at the MARINA was awesome. All the house keeping staff and every one of the staff was as if they were Family. Their food is good there. The Team will go out of the way to
make your pampered stay a wonderful one. Next trip, we will be there. Give it a try.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
progersCharlestonSC, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you!...We appreciate the business and the wonderful comments. We take great pride in delivering excellent service and exceeding expectations...thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. Have a great July 4th holiday!
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We had two visits to this hotel in June...one night as a stop-over on a road trip the night of tropical storm Andrea and then back again June 13 - 16. We had excellent service - Andrew at reception along with Brianna, as well as the staff at the Saffire restaurant. We had a lovely room overlooking the river on the 11th floor with a balcony; and also appreciated the shuttle service from the hotel to the Riverfront Park in Charleston. Would we come back to this hotel? Absolutely.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the wonderful comments about your recent visit to our hotel...I am happy to hear you had a great "service" experience and thank you for your business. Hope to see you again in the future...Have a great summer!
Lawrenceville, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Downtown Marriott on our tenth anniversary trip. We booked the room at the last minute on Thursday June 27th due to an unexpected change of plans. We were thrilled. At check-in Richard gave us a room with a balcony at my request. Tessa at the Aqua Terrace was wonderful as well. The view of the fireworks at the stadium next door, from our balcony was the highlight of a much enjoyed stay. We will be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
progersCharlestonSC, General Manager at Charleston Marriott, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for the great comments about your stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience at the Charleston Marriott. We like to "practice what we preach"...and we focus on delivering good service to our customers...have a great summer!
Titusville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

My family of four stayed at the Charleston Marriott June 26-28th, 2013. It was one of the nicest hotels we've stayed at and our experience couldn't have been better. It was very clean and the hotel staff from the front desk clerk to the attendant we met in the elevator (Marcus Poinsett), were so polite and helpful. I highly recommend this hotel. Although we did not need the service because we had our own vehicle, there is a free trolley that will take you to all the popular sites in Charleston that has a stop right in front of the hotel. I booked the stay online at Marriott.com and was surprised when we checked in that they lowered our per night charge $20 less than we were expecting to pay and we were provided with the breakfast buffet for free both mornings! This hotel is fantastic. Clean, comfortable, great view of the harbor area and city. Consider staying here on your trip into the wonderful city of Charleston. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: We stayed on the east side of the hotel. Wonderful view. We asked for a high floor at check in and t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Great comments...Thank you! We focus on being an excellent service hotel and appreciate the feedback. I will pass on your comments about Marcus Poinsett - he does a fantastic job of welcoming guests to our hotel. You also experience Marriott's "best rate" guarantee...you won't find a lower rate on line than Marriott.com. Thank you for being a Marriott customer!

Been to Charleston Marriott? Share your experiences!