“Great Hotel Lousy location” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #39 of 57 Hotels in Charleston
“Great Hotel Lousy location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We arrived after being in a plane for 24 hours We were escorted to the room It was not ready. We went down and fortunately they made a nice save when the bell man Nick got us upgraded and back in the room. Room was fabulous
The problem with the hotel is it is not downtownl. You need to get a ride that will cost you ten dollars to get to the historic district. They hire services and we found that on our last day the person who was to drive us to the airport did not show up!
So keep in mind you will pay extra for getting down town and Wi Fi

Room Tip: Room with views of water
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed here for a night during a recent roadtrip across the south. Excellent hotel. It is huge which is jsut as well as there was a conference going on at the time, but we were able to avoid the conference goers. Our room was very comfortable with a superb kings size bed. The rooftop bar (on the 4 floor) is great and have a number of fireplaces to keep you warm at night. Facilities are good, including a lovely pool and hottub. Only drawback with the location as it's not within walking distance of Charleston downtown. The hotel does run a shuttle bus every half hour which only take 10 minutes and is arund $12 per person. Ample parking which was free. Wifi not included and expensive.

Room Tip: Higher floor facing towards the marina otherwise you just get a view of the car parks.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tappan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed here for one night on 10/11/12. Room was spacious, quiet and clean. What you expect from Marriott. The only issue I had was that they wanted to charge for WI-FI in the room. I have stayed in many less expensive hotels and never had to pay for the internet. The business center(wi-fi was supposed to be free here but wasn't) is badly in need of an upgrade. Computers are out of date and difficult to manage. Location is convenient to downtown, a ten minute drive.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Middlesboro, Kentucky, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I spent a recent weekend (Saturday and Sunday of Oct. 6th and 7th) at the Charleston, SC Marriott. The facilities were very pretty and the room was clean and elegant. The only problem: While you pay a high price for staying at a Marriott, you are treated like you are the "poor cousins" that they allowed to come and grace their facilities. While regarding itself as a full-service hotel, they expect you to pay for a bottle of water placed in the restroom and the internet, which is free at lower priced hotels. ( This after paying almost $400 for two nights in October) The eclectic restaurant on the facility was just pretending to be fancy - the food was average at best. I ordered a crabcake with guacamole and black bean corn salsa. I counted the black beans in the salsa- there were 13! and less corn. The crab cake was the size of a silver dollar. hysterical.....and we weren't asked for drink orders....just had water. We also were awakened by the maid at 9:00 a.m. expecting that we were gone. If you want to pay to be snobbed- then this is the place. By the way, everywhere else we were in Charleston we were treated very well. The prices are high there but at least at everywhere but the Marriott, you got what you paid for.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Gulf Shores, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed at this hotel 9/06-9/08 2012. It was not as close to historical area as i thought. It is not within walking distance to anything, but price is about $100 cheaper each nite than all those historical area hotels, and just as nice. It is very nice, all main areas lobby, restaurant, hallways, etc, look new, grand looking. The rooms are good, (but i have stayed in Marriott rooms that were nicer), they kinda looked a little old for a Marriott. Although, I have no complaints about the rooms. All service was great. Restaurant food good, and prices weren't high, were reasonable. They have free parking which is hard to find in that area. The best thing is that they have a shuttle service for $6 per day unlimited trips to/from historical district all day long 8a-10:45p unlimited trips. Nice pool. Great outside area for sitting around relaxing, having drinks, etc. No complaints. Would stay there again. One negative is they have a computer to look up tourist info, tours, restaurants etc. no paper brochures you can just pick up and take to room with you to look over and make decisions. No Complaints.

Room Tip: Higher floors offer best views.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed here for a night on a recent visit to Charleston. The hotel is beautiful and has free parking. The room was clean and comfortable and had a nice view of The Ashley River.
There is a restaurant/ bar with outdoor seating on the third floor. food was so so, nothing to write home about.
It's is about a mile from downtown but although Charleston is a walking city, this is not a great place to walk from. I think they have a shuttle to get downtown. This is a really nice hotel and the staff were friendly and helpful.
I prefer to stay right downtown but would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the river on a high floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I am an avid, loyal Marriott patron, and have been for many years now. They are the only hotels I will stay in when traveling within the Continental US. I recently stayed at this hotel while in Charleston for my 3 year anniversary. I had reserved a King bed ("guaranteed") & ended up in an "upgraded penthouse" with two doubles because apparently all of the King rooms were booked despite my guarantee -- the only difference between a "penthouse double" and a standard is that you are on the top floor. Disappointing way to start out, but I was willing to overlook it ... at first.

On two separate occasions 2 weeks & then 1 week before arriving in Charleston I called & spoke with the "concierge" about having strawberries & champagne available in the room upon arrival to the hotel, as a special surprise for my sweetheart. The "concierge" even took down a personalize note for me to put in a card to him. NONE of what was in the room upon our arrival and when I went to speak with the front desk I was given some cockamamy story about how sorry they were but how they had no record of me speaking with anyone. Thoroughly unsatisfying & again, disappointing service compared to what I am used to receiving at Marriott's.

When I checked out, I saw a sign for donating money to a local Charleston charity by using your Rewards number -- I asked the checkout clerk & he told me some story about how they manager would have to e-mail me separately in order to apply my rewards number to the charitable donation -- needless to say, I never received any such e-mail & was unable to donate to that particular charity. Again, very disappointing service. Follow through is an EXTREMELY important part of service standards.

Additionally, the mattress was ROCK hard and extremely uncomfortable. This was very uncharacteristic of the usual Marriott standard mattress. The pillows were also very uncomfortable. The thermostat was set at the lowest setting possible and the room remained above 75 degrees the entire time -- we were sweating all night long without any sort of relief.

I will most likely still continue to stay at Marriotts around the US, as well as around the world, but I will definitely think twice about staying at this particular establishment ever again.

Room Tip: Do not fall for the "upgrade" to the Penthouse -- all you get is elevation
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Charleston Marriott? Share your experiences!