We were desparate for a room having decided to go to the Southeast Wildlife Expo at the last minute. Booked this room thru Hotwire - would not book it again on purpose. No king bed available. Two double beds, plus a chair and a small table, plus a large armed desk chair that could not be slid under the two level desk, and the TV cabinet made for a very crowded room. It was kind of a puzzle to get enough furniture out of the way to be able to walk to the window. Not that the view of a series of horribly ugly parking lots was worth the trouble. The bath was adequate but with a strange configuration of double shower heads that didn't quite make sense. Oh, and the air conditioning didn't work. Didn't realize it was getting warmer until about midnight. By 1 a.m. it must have been 80 in the room, and who wants to dress and repack and move rooms at 1 a.m.?? The bed was very comfortable with a variety of pillow choices.
Had lunch in the hotel restaurant, Sapphire. Good service, good food, nicely presented. No complaints there at all.
Had breakfast buffet the next morning - BEFORE complaining about the air conditioning. My mistake. The front desk was willing to comp breakfast had I not already paid for it. $37 lesson learned. Checked my bank account this morning to discover that the waiter had run my debit card thru with a 20% tip added on. I've never had this happen to me before, ever, and it doesn't even seem legal to me. This was not a large group with the mandatory 20% gratuity - it was two people!
The patio at the hotel was being renovated in spots, and there was an area that was quite dangerous with some "moving" tiles that was not roped off. Accident waiting to happen.
All in all, wasn't horrible (except for the lack of AC and view) but will book earlier and better for next year's Expo.
- Also Known As:
- Charleston Marriott Hotel Charleston
- Charleston Marriott Hotel
- Marriott Charleston
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience Southern comfort at the finest hotel in Charleston, SC, Charleston Marriott. Our downtown Charleston hotel’s beautifully redesigned guest rooms and suites are coupled with excellent service and sophistication. Conveniently located on the Ashley River, we boast easy access to Charleston International Airport and many historic neighborhoods. All of our hotel's Charleston, SC, rooms are spacious, stylish, and alive with color and energy, and feature high-speed Internet access and shuttle service. Enjoy a sensory dining experience at Saffire Restaurant & Bar, serving innovative American-fusion cuisine for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Visit Aqua Terrace, a rooftop lounge offering cocktails with brilliant views of Ashley River. Relax in our landscaped courtyard or workout in our modern fitness center. Our accommodations measure up to the best hotels in downtown Charleston and feature 50,000 square feet of event space, ideal for social events, including unforgettable weddings and gatherings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Marriott, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Travelocity, Olotels, getaroom.com, Venere and Tingo so you can book your Charleston Marriott reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.