“A Best Place to Stay in Historic Charleston” 5 of 5 stars

Indigo Inn
1 Maiden Lane, Charleston, SC 29401 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #10 of 54 hotels in Charleston
Orangeburg, South Carolina, United States
“A Best Place to Stay in Historic Charleston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

First stay and even though I knew the Limehouse's have high standards, this was more than I expected. My new place to stay.
The front desk welcomes you and is prepared for your visit. If you like English inns it will be a wonderful reminder of that country.
The rooms are decorated to standards you'd expected in a top Charleston Hotel. Attention to every detail.
Wine and cheese in the evening and the crab salad is worth being greedy about.
Friendly and respectful staff throughout.
Having your bed prepared for the evening with lovely chocolate mints on your bedside table are added touched not expected.
Wonderful soaps, luxury towels. Very good shower. It's all wonderful

Room Tip: Rooms that face the court yard, which in itself is a aesthetic delight.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
indigoinnsc, Manager at Indigo Inn, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Indigo Inn with us!!! We are pleased that our facitily, amenities and staff exceeded your expectations, we look forward to your future visits.

408 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Very good hotel with great staff and location right in the thick of things in Charleston. Very nice courtyard and lobby is cozy (but a bit dated). Nice free wine in the eve and the free breakfast is decent. Rooms are good sized but need a bit of updating. Overall a great place to stay and very good value. VERY dog friendly place.

Room Tip: Room 103 is right next to the fountain so you get some nice ambiance and bit of noise canceling
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
indigoinnsc, Manager at Indigo Inn, responded to this review, January 12, 2013
Thank you for your feedback!!!
greenwich ct
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

First time to Charleston, last time to Indigo Inn. We chose the Indigo because it was pet friendly. Lets start with postives. Great location , on site parking ( although you are charged for it) and pretty courtyard. Now to the negatives. If you are 'lucky' enough to find yourself on the ground floor expect to hear the elevator ALL the time, expect to hear people up and down the METAL stairs , and expect to hear people walking by your room constantly. Please note I'm from NYC and am accustom to noise . This was ridiculous . Priced as the 'luxury hotel ' it claims to be but in reality nothing more than a mediocre hotel .

• Stayed December 2012
indigoinnsc, Manager at Indigo Inn, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I apologize that you were less than pleased with the location of your room Had I known, I would have offered you a room on the other side of the courtyard, away from the elevator and stairs; or I could have found other hotel/inn accommodations for you in the Charleston Historic District.
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

After reading some recent reviews, I was so concerned I looked into changing my reservation - but I'm so glad I didn't. All staff at the front desk have been very pleasant and helpful. I'm very happy with my room, which is fairly spacious, with a deep closet and canopied queen sized bed. I like strong, flavorful coffee and was very grateful when I found my first sip was quite satisfying. I didn't try the wine this afternoon, but at 6:30 pm there was still some cheese and crackers out, and a dish of pasta salad, and fixin's for martini's and bloody mary's - I think guests provide the gin or vodka, and they provide vermouth, bloody mary mix, and even olives! I cannot agree that this is no more than a luxurious motel - the courtyard is very lovely, and the feel of the place is much more historic and well, caring and cared for than a motel...I'm guessing that very well-traveled sophisticates unconcerned about budgets are expressing some disappointment, but for me this is a splurge in a location that otherwise I would not have been able to justify monetarily. My bed is comfy, the staff are friendly without being intrusive, and I want to both provide other travelers who might be in my circumstances with an unreserved recommendation, and support an establishment of this quality and relative affordability in a town where there is so much competition for a tourist's dollar. If you, like me, can be perfectly happy with reproductions if it means $50 - $100 less a night, (although I think the exquisite and well worn grandfather's clock in the lobby is authentic), don't hesitate to call the Indigo Inn your home while in Charleston.

Room Tip: Room 312 faces the parking lot and is in a corner of the building away from the courtyard; I heard n...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
indigoinnsc, Manager at Indigo Inn, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
And we are glad you decided to keep your reservation to stay with us. We appreciate your thoughtful review, and that some of your concerns were met with satisfaction. We look forward to your repeat business!!!
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

The positives:
- the location is great, you can walk everywhere and it is easy to get in and out of the city by car;
- the rooms are decorated beautifully;
- breakfast is good

the negatives:
- this is closer to a luxurious motel than to a inn: the windows of the rooms give onto the hallway by the courtyard, so if you want privacy you need to be in the dark;
- cleanliness was not a virtue there (I dropped an object behind my night stand and there was a good half an inch of dust...)
- your choise for breakfast is to have it in the courtyard, or in your room (they offer you to have it by the reception desk, where the breakfast buffet is set, but they only have a couple of chairs there and no proper dining table). This is probably fine in the summer, but we went in November and it was cold, so it is very inconvenient if you're a group of people meeting, or don't want to eat in bed
- they advertise a wine and cheese afternoon servie; the wine they serve is laughable, never had such horrible stuff in my life

Overall, it is very expensive for what it is.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
indigoinnsc, Manager at Indigo Inn, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Thank you for your feedback!!! We value your opinion!!!
Zurich / Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I was hoping for a B&B style old fashioned hotel. For that it is too big and - in all fairness - is just a hotel. That has some positive sides as well: There is a large parking just in front of the property and everything is very efficient. The location is very convenient.
The rooms are modelled to appear antique, ie dark with carpets and heavy curtains, but it is still very much of a chain like hotel...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
indigoinnsc, Manager at Indigo Inn, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us!!!
Rome, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Two days ago, I hurried past the Indigo Inn on my way to eat at Hyman's. That afternoon, at the airport just before I was leaving, I realized I did not have my cell phone. I borrowed a phone, called my number and Brien answered. He said that he'd been waiting for me to call, took my information and placed my precious cell phone in an express mail envelope that night. Wow! And I wasn't even his hotel guest.
I've stayed at the Indigo Inn and found it to be a soulful, quirky, warm place nestled in unquestionably the most perfect spot in the most perfect cities in the world. That coupled with the Universe class service that Brien demonstrated and you can't go wrong with the Indigo Inn.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
indigoinnsc, Manager at Indigo Inn, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you. Brien is very service oriented and goes out of his way to help. We appreciate your kind words and comments, and thank you for taking the time to let us know!!!

Been to Indigo Inn? Share your experiences!