“Brien is the epitome of service, integrity and efficiency!” 5 of 5 stars

Indigo Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Maiden Lane, Charleston, SC 29401   |
Ranked #12 of 57 Hotels in Charleston
Rome, Georgia
“Brien is the epitome of service, integrity and efficiency!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Two days ago, I hurried past the Indigo Inn on my way to eat at Hyman's. That afternoon, at the airport just before I was leaving, I realized I did not have my cell phone. I borrowed a phone, called my number and Brien answered. He said that he'd been waiting for me to call, took my information and placed my precious cell phone in an express mail envelope that night. Wow! And I wasn't even his hotel guest.
I've stayed at the Indigo Inn and found it to be a soulful, quirky, warm place nestled in unquestionably the most perfect spot in the most perfect cities in the world. That coupled with the Universe class service that Brien demonstrated and you can't go wrong with the Indigo Inn.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
indigoinnsc, Manager at Indigo Inn, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you. Brien is very service oriented and goes out of his way to help. We appreciate your kind words and comments, and thank you for taking the time to let us know!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Valley of the Sun
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

While I've been going to Charleston for years, this was the first time I tried the Indigo Inn (upon recommendation of a colleague). I had initially made a reservation several months in advance due to a conference (hotels in Charleston sell out quickly for this conference.) However, just a week before I went, I found out a friend of mine was driving down from DC to see me. I called the Indigo Inn to see if it was possible to get a 2 bed room. The manager was fantastic and was able to give me the 2 beds I needed.

I had alerted the Indigo Inn that I would be arriving well after midnight. I was concerned that it would be difficult to check-in so late but when my cab dropped me off at the inn; the late night manager, Margaret, greeted me at the door and said "You must be our late arrival!" She was fantastic, helped me to my room, showed me where the lights were hidden (behind the t.v.) and then we chitchatted for a few minutes over the results of the presidential election (we were both very happy at the outcome.)

This is a fantastic location for visiting Charleston. Very centrally located to the market, the fantastic restaurants and an excellent wine bar/shoppe just across Meeting Street from the hotel. Marion Park, the original Citadel etc are just a few blocks away as is fabulous King Street with all its great shops.

The breakfast each morning was much more than deluxe continental. They ALWAYS served ham and biscuits (which made this former southern girl) very happy. They also had cereal, eggs, bacon, danishes etc with several types of juices, coffee, teas-you name it. In the evening, they have wine and cheese. For both the morning or evening-you could elect to gather in their (admittedly small) lobby or take a tray back up to your room.

I disagree with a very few earlier reviews about the rooms and facilities seeming shabby. Our room was spotless, lovely with a fantastic shower. All the rooms open to the courtyard so you may hear a bit more noise if you are trying to sleep and people are coming or going. However-it wasn't really problematic.

The hotel is right next door to a great restaurant FIG, which everyone raves about and did I mention the wine bar across the street? :-)

I loved this place SO much that when I was checking out-I made a reservation for when I attend the annual conference next year. When others next summer are trying to find rooms for the fall conference, I can just sit and grin knowing I have a fantastic room waiting for me in a fantastic inn. THIS is the way to experience Charleston!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
indigoinnsc, Manager at Indigo Inn, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
We are equally as thrilled that you found us; you and your friend were gracious guests, and always with a smile!!! We look forward to seeing you next year, and thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experiences with us.
Newport Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Pros: located within an easy walk to almost anything. Mini-bottles of liquor (for sale, $6) and free cocktail fixings including tonic, soda, lime, etc. in the lobby are a delightful touch. Breakfast was good, and staff is as friendly as everyone else in Charleston.
Cons: Rooms and facilities seem old and shabby, and not "old" in a good, historical way. There was mildew in the grout, chips in the fixtures, and the water pressure in the shower was just better than a trickle. Room was tiny and had an old CRT television. Forget about sleeping in -- the hotel is constructed in a horseshoe around a central courtyard which means all morning noises are broadcast throughout, and housekeeping started rolling their carts and calling to each other at about 7:30 a.m.
Overall, I'm happy to pay a higher price for good location, but the quality of the room did not quite justify the amount we paid for it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
indigoinnsc, Manager at Indigo Inn, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Thank you for your feedback; we appreciate your comments!!!
New Castle, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Three couples recently stayed at the Indigo Inn for three nights. We were greeted in a friendly manner and helped throughout our stay by staff recommending restaurants as well as activities to do. The parking was very convenient as the lot was right outside the main door.

In talking with other guests, we found that the Indigo Inn was one that folks keep coming back. The price was excellent for what we received. The breakfast was quite satisfying as was the wine and cheese at 5. We were able to walk everyplace so there was no need for use of the car.

The rooms were quite adequate with good lighting in the bathroom. We did not feel cramped at all. The beds were comfortable so we got a good night's sleep.

Our only negative was the lack of a breakfast room. Seats were at a premium as it was too cold and wet to sit outside in the courtyard. You were able to take breakfast back to your room but we were traveling with two other couples so we wanted to be together. It all worked out and did manage to chat with other guests. Everyone was quite friendly.

If we get back to Charleston, we would definitely stay at the Indigo Inn.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
indigoinnsc, Manager at Indigo Inn, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I am sorry that it was too cold to take advantage of the Courtyard; our weather now is typically fallish!!! Perhaps on a future visit the weather will be warmer. We look forward to seeing you again!!!
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We have stayed at the Indigo and their sister property The Jasmine House many times. Every time the staff made sure that we were well taken care of and enjoyed our stay. They offer a very nice breakfast and in good weather it can be eaten outdoors in their courtyards. They have wine and cheese in the afternoons.
The Indigo Inn is right in the middle of everything in Charleston and is in easy walking distance to almost everywhere you might want to go.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
indigoinnsc, Manager at Indigo Inn, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and your repeat business. We value you as our customer!!!
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

This inn gives you a real southern Charleston feel. The rooms are beautifully decorated. The staff is very friendly and helpful. At 5, wine and cheese are served, and you can enjoy them in the courtyard. Breakfast was very good also. The location is just right for touring the historic district. I definitely would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
indigoinnsc, Manager at Indigo Inn, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for your kind review; we look forward to seeing you again!!!
Kingwood, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We recently stayed at the Indigo Inn during our trip to Charleston. We were a little skeptical at first because the price was much less expensive at the Indigo Inn than similarly located Inns in the area, but we booked it based on the great reviews from Trip Advisor.

It is a great place to stay if you want to be perfectly located and experience the charm of the city. The staff was great, particularly Brian. The rooms are charming, well decorated and comfortable. There is a wonderful courtyard where you can enjoy your morning coffee or your complimentary wine and cheese.

We would definitely recommend staying here. If there were any negatives to be mentioned, the sheets were a little scratchy and if you stay in a room with a double bed, it is a little small...but this is to be expected at an older property.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
indigoinnsc, Manager at Indigo Inn, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the chance to stay with us, and for taking the time to write to let us know about your experience here. We appreciate you!!!

Been to Indigo Inn? Share your experiences!