“Awesome Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview

You added Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   301 Savannah Highway, U.S. Highway 17, Charleston, SC 29407   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #41 of 58 Hotels in Charleston
“Awesome Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2009

My family stayed at this hotel for two nights while we visited the Charleston area. We paid $90.00/night for a "non-view" room with two double beds. I'm a priority club member, and prior to check-in I requested a room on a high floor.

First of all, the hotel is not at all hard to find, it's just the "getting into the driveway off the highway" part thats a challenge. However, after entering/exiting the hotel a few times, it becomes a piece of cake.

When we checked in, we had a very friendly and compassionate desk clerk check us in and get us to our room. They honored my request for a high floor, and they even gave me a room with a very nice view as an upgrade for being a priority club member. We were on the 11th floor. Once we got to our room, there were chocolates, cookies, pretzels, and two bottles of water waiting for us as a "thank you" from management for being a priority club member. The rooms appear to have been very recently renovated and updated with new furnishings. While some say the rooms are small, we were comfortable and had more than enough room.

The beds here are amazing! There were firm and soft pillows to choose from, and there was a very nice duvet on the bed. We slept great each night and despite being right on the highway, the room was extremely quiet. The bathroom area was very clean and the showerhead was really nice.

The room in general was very clean and well layed out. While it was a disappointment to not be able to go on the balcony, the views from inside the room were just as night.

We took advantage of the free shuttle from the hotel to the historic charleston district. The shuttle was always on time and the driver was very friendly.

The staff here really does try to go above and beyond for you. When I went to the front desk for an extra blanket, instead of just getting an ordinary blanket from housekeeping, the clerk insisted on giving me a brand new, right out of the package blanket.

For the money, you can't possibly ask for more. While we were originally going to stay in the historic district, I'm really glad we decided not to. We saved $200-300 by staying here....and I think this place is awesome.

Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
north carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

I think for the price this hotel is just fine. we were taking a cruise and they let you park for free during the cruise time which saved us $115! we even stayed after the cruise not before and they still let us park for free. we stayed 2 nights after the cruise. it is a unique hotel with its shape and view was very pretty. plenty of room in the hotel sleeping space. toilet and shower are in seperate space with the vanity and mirror and sink outside of the toilet/shower room which we like. could blowdry my hair etc while others showered etc.
there were 4 of us in room and we had plenty of space. we have storage drawers which we were able to unpack the 2 days of outfits in. also a table to eat at with 2 chairs plenty of room. we ordered breaksfast in one morning and it was delish!!!
the staff was very friendly and helpful. they allowed us to put our bags in an empty room at 9 am until that afternoon when our room became empty. over all for the price I would stay again. other hotels are way overpriced. oh we drove obviously, and we had no problem navagating the streets of charleston. quite easy to get around.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2008

If you have a car, it's a good location and has free parking. (The hotel itself isn't in a location you'd want to visit as a tourist. You need to drive everywhere from this location and it's right on a highway.) It's just across the river from downtown and you're right on the freeway to get to the beaches. The room was clean and decent and something I'd expect for the price of $100 or so. The staff were nice and helpful. The rooftop restaurant/bar has nice view of the area. The decor and building are a little dated, but the circular building sort of has a funky charm. For the price, I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pittsburgh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2008

First off, I live to travel. I backpack, camp, sleep in my car, chance the dingy motels when needed. This was the worst experience of any of my travels! (and believe me, I've had some bad ones) Paid 3x's more than I ever had for a hotel stay in this charming city. And I researched this hotel!! Extensively!!! THEY LIED!!! I've been visiting Charleston for years, I expect the heat, humidity, bugs, the rains of August and more. But this...

Planning a short weekend trip to introduce a friend to one of my favorite cities and having tickets to a concert in historic downtown, I thought, I'll "spurge" and find a pricier hotel closer to the area. Planned to take my friend to some of my favorite historic spots over the weekend. Wanted to save time and gas $. Wow, bad decision!

*Reserved, Paid and Confirmed our room online, one month prior.
Arrived at hotel 4:45pm, waited for front desk staff for 20 minutes (it's an eleven hour drive from Pittsburgh) and then told no rooms available. I calmly and politely reiterated all information, procured id, credit card, paper confirmation, etc. I asked for the staff member that I had spoke with over phone 4 hours earlier, by name. Told, "No one by that name." Then asked for manager, told he was unavailable.

Called Priority Club, yup i'm platinum with em, who spoke with the gentleman and finally we were given our room, the exact one I had confirmed.
It is now PAST six! We were only guests in line!*

1. The hotel is situated across the bridge from town, is NOT in downtown as described and expected from the price... I'm sure the highway noise would bother some travelers on the lowers floors. Didn't even notice the traffic sounds, did notice that hotel entrance and exit face opposing traffic directions. Pain the YOU KNOW WHAT. Circling unneccessarily over and back, bridges and underpasses with the relatively mild Charleston rush hour just to get into the parking lot! ( I drive in Chicago and NYC! And I'm familiar with the downtown, lowcountry and surrounding counties! I can't imagine the aggravation newcomers would feel.)

Thank God I DROVE my car down.

2. "Fantastic View" sucks except for 2 room wide column facing the harbor. Tiny balconies obviously dangerous since sliding doors are "permanently sealed shut" according to the large, old, dirty sticker placed at eye level. (Granted I'm 5'1" but you get my drift.) Exceedingly thrilling since AC was useless, smelled of cigarettes and mold and was too loud for this rock concert goer to sleep through?

3. Smaller room than my hostel in the Netherlands. I'm not exaggerating. We had 2 standard beds, both were smooshed against the walls (well one was just far enough away from the ac vent) and we could not get in or out of our beds at the same time. Try two females getting dressed and ready to go out in a 4' x 1' passageway.

4. As others have mentioned the bathroom was miniscule. The toilet and shower barely fit. Opening or closing the shower curtain dumps the folded bath towels that are so nicely stacked for you on the toilet. Yes, there were once towel racks, at least it would seem so from the open holes in the walls... (p.s. NO toiletries. After several requests for towels, sheets, TP, Soap & Shampoo for my friend, I left my room and circled the floors til I located a housekeeper and her cart, loaded up and headed back to my cell.) Also bathroom door didn't shut completely and lock was totally missing making the door useless as what would have been great for stability when attempting to get out of the tiny shower or when drying oneself off. Handle on toilet hanging off. No exhaust fan in said tiny bathroom.

5. No hot water, middle of May and various times of day, no hot water.

6. Hotel website stated mini fridge. None available. Used bathroom sink filled with ice til I purchased a cooler from kerr's (where I also picked up ice after trying ice machines on 8, yes, EIGHT floors, to no avail.)

Thank God I DROVE my car down.

7. Tv and remote, all furniture, lamps, doorknob, door locks, bed frames, window curtains, carpet, bedspreads, drawers...all broken, damaged, torn or missing. We were truly questioning if it was all real! How could everything be broken? Was the Sasquatch from those Jerky commercials the previous guest? Or did we follow those fellas from Animal House?

8. The level of filth and grime was unprecedented. Even for the deepest of the south, the crappiest of hole-in-the-wall motels I've been through, the poorest of third world countries I traveled to have at least attempted to tidy up!

9. The staff was truly miserable. I actually felt sorry for these folks. Typically my attitude is that if you hate your job that much, find another one but they gave the impression of inmates on the chain gang.

10. The price. For $150 a night I could have been relaxing in a whirlpool tub sipping comp champagne, retiring on a pillowtop and temperpedic pillow, with clean sheets!...waking to a room service breakfast of made to order omelette and fresh strawberries. Having a swim before changing into my freshly laundered and pressed clothes to go spend the day siteseeing on discounted passes.

For the experienced described above....
STAY CLEAR OF THE RIVERVIEW HOLIDAY INN!!

Oh, there was one outstanding part of our stay...
they had a fantastic clock/radio! Nature sounds, mp3 player plugs right in, 3 separate alarms, wake to ipod. Not worth $500 though...

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — That I actually paid for it
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
chsrvagm, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview, responded to this review, January 2, 2009
At the Holiday Inn Riverview we pride ourselves on responding to customers needs, concerns or complaints because if we do not know a guest is unhappy or not having a great stay we can't fix it for them. No where in the 2 pages of listed complaints during thier 3 day stay does it mention these guests ever contacted a member of managment to fix any of the issues they were having. We do have a manager on duty every weekend and in season every day of the week.

Also these guests stayed with us in May of 2007 but did not write a review until September 2008. Why did it take so long?

We would like to think that all of our guests love thier experience at the Holiday Inn Riverview but if they don't we should get fair notice on how to make things better for them.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

Older hotel but has been updated,Clean,Friendly helpful staff,nice pool,Shuttle to historic district,rest. & bar at top with good views,good rate.wifi

• Liked — price & convinence
  • Disliked — na
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bethesda, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

We stayed in this hotel for 3 days to celebrate my wife's birthday. This is a nice hotel with really good location. There is a free shuttle service from the hotel to historic district. Very convenient. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful in pointing out different places to go in Charleston.

The best thing about this hotel is its gorgeous view of city from the top of the hotel. The hotel has a nice bar and restaurant at the penthouse level and it gives a wonderful panoramic view of water, city and lights - this is specially great in the night. After walking around in the historic district all day long, the bar is a way to relax, talk and drink some beer/wine before calling it a day.

I will definitely recommend this hotel to people who do not want to shell out top $$ to stay in historic district area.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Allen, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2008

room okay older decor & furnishings, friendly staff, needs updating, pretty good location for downtown charleston! Would stay again for the price

• Liked — reasonable price for downtown charleston, free parking/ internet use, great view!
  • Disliked — room dated, check in service slow (but friendly), Balconies Closed Off - not able to use
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview? Share your experiences!