“We had a blast!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview

You added Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   301 Savannah Highway, U.S. Highway 17, Charleston, SC 29407   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #41 of 58 Hotels in Charleston
Florida
“We had a blast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2008

My family and I came to Charleston from Florida and stayed at the Holiday Inn Riverview. I had a great stay. The staff was very helpful with directions and local information. The rooms were updated with the new bedding and they were so comfortable we HAD to sleep in. The front desk willingly granted the Priority Club late check out, which was great. The shuttle was availiable to take us downtown for FREE and was very convienient. We ate at the Harbor view restaurant and the wait staff was so nice and very accommodating. Our overall stay was wonderful. The view was breathtaking and we will be back very soon.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Balcony doors were permantly locked.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Naples, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2008

I stayed here only because the Doubletree and Embassy, Hilton, Marriott and others were booked. This hotel is on the "other side of the river in Charleston", and the great restaurants, etc.
The restaurant in the hotel is AWFULL, sheesh, I should have known betters to get out of this hotel and have dinner. I didn’t…DUMB ME
Will I stay here again? NO
The room (7th floor) had a nice view, free parking…But was run down, old with cracking walls by the door, gross bath and more ickey shower curtain!!

I Love Charleston, but not this hotel!

Stayed April 2008
Zanesville, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2008

I stayed at this property on March 28th for a pre-cruise stay. I was traveling with my two sons. We arrived around 10 pm. There were plenty of parking spaces and we checked right in. We had a very nice room. By the sounds of the previous posters here, we must have a had a newly remodeled room. The room, bedding, and furniture were all nice and new. The room was rather large too. We did not pay any extra and we did not get a view. There was brand new carpet in the hall and new baseboards on the walls. We had breakfast at the place on the top floor. Not the best, but the kids ate free and the view is great. The two ladies who shuttled the people to the cruise terminal were great. They were friendly and loaded the bags rather quickly. You can park here while you cruise for free, so I saved the $110 it costed to park at the pier and they shuttle you there and back. Can't beat it. I would stay here again.

• Liked — Shuttle drivers and free parking
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Myrtle Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2008

My husband and I wanted a quick getaway in Charleston for a reasonable price and we certainly found it. We had a king room for $93 a night and it was very clean and the bed was super comfortable. I had called the hotel a few days before to see what the cost would be to upgrade to a room with a view and they were very helpful and upgraded me free of charge. Almost all the employees were very pleasant and helpful, except for one of the bartender/servers in the restaurant who just seemed to be a naturally unfriendly person. They have a shuttle to downtown which is super convenient for avoiding all the traffic and not having to worry about parking. The food in the restaurant was wonderful and the views from it were beautiful. If I ever return to Charleston I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — convenience to downtown and comfortable bed
  • Disliked — going home
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

I'll begin by saying that my husband and I are seasoned travelers; we travel for business as well as for pleasure and have stayed in a variety of hotels both in affluent, metropolitan areas as well as in smaller cities in both the U.S. and abroad.

That said.... this particular Holiday Inn was just deplorable. The pricing at over $260 a night was indeed lower than other seemingly comparable hotels in the surrounding area, however the internet description was not accurate.

When we arrived, we found the lobby desk to be immediately at the entrance of the facility. I mean plastered against the front doors. There was nowhere for guests to stand in order to give another guest any privacy whatsoever. The decor was quite old and outdated as was the accommodation for anyone who was disabled. There was a ramp that was somewhat out of the way for the average traveler.

We were given a room on the 4th floor. The elevator was dirty first of all. Secondly, as we arrived on the 4th floor the doors opened to a hallway in which plaster fragments were scattered next to where baseboards USED TO reside; apparently under rennovations, there were NO baseboards. Additionally, a yellow dumpster cart was sitting nearby against a wall, filled with debris and garbage. Hammering was readily heard overhead.

Upon entering our room, we noted the furniture was older, however the linens on the beds seemed fresh and fluffy.... Further examination of the bathrooms yielded a view of mildew beneath the rim of the sink that was clearly visible and the older tile floor in the bathroom was trimmed with grout that was dark and stained/ appearing quite dirty. The room also had a distinct odor to it; old and musty.

The television was a Zenith is that tells you anything about the age of the room and the furnishings.

The so called view of the Ashley river consisted of the adjacent roadway, marshland and businesses surrounding the miniscule view of what appeared to be smaller tributaries of the main river!

This was not of the caliber that we were accustomed to and certainly was not at all in keeping with the pricing structure nor the internet description.

My husband immediately complained to the desk clerk who offered him another room to view. We both went by elevator to the next room; the room was identical to the first with the exception of the hallway not being completely destroyed.

We elected to search the town for a replacement hotel, and, due to the tourist season, most were full, but we lucked out and located a Hampton Inn 15 minutes outside of the historic district of Charleston which was absolutely outstanding in every way.

We requested a reversal of our charges for the room at Holiday Inn and left.

You will be very disappointed if you choose this particular Holiday Inn!! Disgusting is all that comes to mind.

• Liked — Nothing whatsoever
  • Disliked — The lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2008

The Holiday Inn Riverview is cool in a 1960s retro type of way. It is a little dated, but I think some of the other reviews are overly harsh. We had no problems during our stay. Staff was very friendly. While the breakfast on the top floor was a tad expensive, the wait staff were very pleasant and prompt. The view was unbeatable.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
MICHIGAN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2008

This property is in bad need of renovation. Rooms are on the small side, especially the bathrooms, which have very little counter space. The carpets in the rooms and hallways should have been replaced long ago. The room was fairly clean, but things like a thick layer of accumulated dust on one of the phones were annoying. The food in the restaurant was mediocre at best. I ordered one of the 4 crab items on the menu, and about 8-10 minutes later the waitress came back to the table and asked "can you order something else"? When I asked why, she said "we don't serve crab no more." At breakfast the service was better, but the "dry" english muffin I ordered came well buttered, and when my wife asked for "brown sugar" for her oatmeal, she was told "we don't have brown sugar today". The one good thing I can say about the hotel is that it does have a great view of the river and downtown from the restaurant and lounge, and from the river side rooms on the upper floors.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview? Share your experiences!