“Good place to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview

You added Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   301 Savannah Highway, U.S. Highway 17, Charleston, SC 29407   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #40 of 58 Hotels in Charleston
Newton, NC
“Good place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

I stayed here July 24-27, 2011 in room 305. I had a room with 2 double beds and a view of the river. The room was updated and looked very clean. When I was putting my suitcase on the bed near the outside wall I saw the outlet was cracked and pulled away from the wall (Fire Hazard). When looking at the bedding I saw brown spots on the same bed on the sheets and 3 of the 4 pillows. The other bed that I slept on, one of the pillows had a spot on it. I bring a comforter and pillow from home when I travel to any hotel so I was fine with what I slept on. The bathroom was clean and you could not see anything left over from the previous guest like in some other hotels. You could not hear any noise coming from the neighboring rooms but you could hear everyone in the hallway and the elevator doors. It's not enough to really bother you sleeping unless you are an extremly light sleeper. The paper was outside my door every morning for me to read and a menu in the room for room service if you wanted. Every staff member I came in contact with was very friendly and helpful. My last night there I woke up to see a very large bug crawling on the wall next to me, I called the front desk and the man was friendly about it and said he would send the bug guy up to take care of it for me. lol. Thankfully he was very fast and took care of the bug and looked around the room to make sure no more got into the room and even took out my trash. He was so sweet to do that. The hotel has a restuarant and Lounge on the top floor which I didn't get to try but heard it was very good. The only real problem I had with the hotel is the entrance and exit on 17. It's hard to see the traffic coming at high speeds before pulling out of the hotel. A mirror would help the guest see a little better. Also the hotel on only about 25 minutes from Isle of Palm, SC so if you want to go the beach you don't have far to go.

Room Tip: Sign up to become a Priority Club Member for discounts on hotels. That is how I booked this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

Upon arrival, they did not have our Orbit booked room ready. They said we needed to wait 40 minutes since they were overbooked. When we received our room, we discovered it was a smoking room. We went back downstairs and argued back and forth that we booked a Non- smoking room. We brought our 5 month old and asthmatic 3 yr old with us. They offered to use a machine to suck out the smoke.. Seriously?? After debating for 1 hour, we finally received a non-smoking room and 3 passes for the breakfast buffet. Let's just say the buffet included a gagging body odor throughout and a non appetizing selection. (I'm not picky with food). Throughout the stay our bathroom would smell like a smoking room...not sure if it was coming from vent next door or from a smoking level. Our sheets on the bed were never even re-made, just folded at the end of bed. I guess we did not pay enough to get fully made beds. This was one of the worst hotel experiences ever. We will stick to staying at marriotts from now on. We don't want to risk it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
JustFred1974, Director of Revenue at Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview, responded to this review, July 26, 2011
Thank you for having chosen our Holiday Inn Riverview in Charleston SC; we appreciate your business. We regret you encountered issues during your stay. We have shared your comments with the management staff of the appropriate departments as part of our quality assurance efforts. Our staff works diligently to ensure every guest has a great lodging experience. We hope you give us a second chance in the future; we know we can WOW you.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

we were trying to change our double beds to a king. Costs at the front desk was so rude about the change and was taking down to us. we always buy our hotel rooms on priceline and have never had any trouble in the past with upgrading our room. he was condescending because we were priceline guests! Big jerk!!

• Stayed July 2011
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

I stayed here over July 4th weekend with my husband and family. Our room had a view of the dumpster, hehe. But the overall value was not bad; the location is not far from downtown Charleston, and the free shuttle service is very accommodating. We enjoyed the breakfast served on the top pool deck level; the spread was delicious and all the food was fresh. My one complaint about this hotel is regarding the housekeeping. We put the "Please clean room" sign on the door, and arrived back to our room at the end of a long day doing touristy things, and met a member of the housekeeping staff on her way out of our room. Unsure of whether she had just come for cleaning or whether she was just leaving the room after having cleaned, we asked her if we needed to wait. She replied saying that she had just cleaned our room, and that new towels would be delivered later (which, they were). Once we entered the room, it became clear to us that nothing had been touched - coffee wrappers laying exactly where they had been; no tidying whatsoever had taken place. I'm not keen on writing reviews to complain about things, and my normal approach is to just focus on the positive things in everyday life...but I do not appreciate dishonesty, so that's why this minor complaint has surfaced. All in all, the hotel value is not bad at all for what it costs.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

Offered 70 on priceline WooHoo! Clean, friendly staff, and convenient location. Saved over 20 from place across street and moved up a class. Great job PL.

• Stayed July 2011
Myrtle Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

Had a great time at the hotel. Check in was a breeze and we were able to get checked right into a room. The building is a circle - so the hall way is in the middle with the rooms going around the center. They are not big rooms - but well equipped with comfortable beds and flat screen TV's. The pool area was nice and the pool was very deep on one end. The staff was very nice and my family really enjoyed themselves. We had a view of the marsh on the back side - but it was still a great view. The shuttle into downtown was great as I hate to pay for parking anywhere.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

Travelling the States we have enjoyed (and occasionally endured)a range of mid-range hotels and motels. Holiday Inn has been a regular stop-over on our travels and this one rates as providing exceptional value for money. Although located just across the river from Charleston the top floor (15th) floor restaurant gives stunning views of the river and the city.

The reception staff are professional,polite and very helpful towards the quests. The rooms are light. airy and comfortable. The third floor pool is well maintained and a pleasent way to chill and its elevated position helps to reduce the traffic noise from the Savannah Highway which runs either side of this circular hotel on its island site.

For those, like us, touring the Carolina's by car the free parking and the hotel shuttle gives a welcome break from driving and freedom to explore this interesting and historic city without hunting for a parking space. Running from 7.30am to 9.30pm each day it gives ample time see the sites and catch a great meal. Reflecting on the days adventures in the restaurants bar you can still absorb the sights or watch the ships/boats illuminated on the river from this elevated vantage point Meals in the restaurant are acceptable but with so many niche and varied cafe's and restaurants to choose from in the City why bother..

Room Tip: Ask for an east facing elevated room,
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview? Share your experiences!