“Good place to stay: not great” 3 of 5 stars

La Quinta Inn & Suites Charleston Riverview
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   11 Ashley Pointe Dr, Charleston, SC 29407   |
Ranked #46 of 54 hotels in Charleston
Newnan
“Good place to stay: not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2008

Room was clean. WiFi egh. Weird smell in hall. Great view of Marina and Ashley River.
On check in, had to find clerk after waiting 10 min. Cleaning staff still cleaning rooms at 6:00PM. Maybe if they didn't waste so much time sitting around in lobby talking, they could get finished earlier.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple

544 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Fox River Grove, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2008

We read the Trip Advisor reviews before booking, and even though there were some negative ones, decided to go ahead & book, assuming the bad ones represented unusual negative stays. I still hold to that - it was not a horrible place. In fact, as mentioned in one of the other reviews, the hotel has recently been remodeled (second building is done now too) and the rooms are nicely rennovated. Rooms were clean too. What we didn't like was the noise (other guests & soundproofing isn't so good). Breakfast was OK but crowded. And as another reviewer noted, it may be close to downtown as the crow flies (we are big walkers & figured we could walk anyway), it really is impossible to walk to town because of bridges & connections. If we go back to Charleston, we will definitely stay in the historic peninsula downtown.

• Liked — Recently updated rooms
  • Disliked — Location & noise
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Anniston, AL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2008

This hotel has been recently renovated and all rooms in the main building have been completed. (There is a separate building that is still being renovated, but it is not being used until renovations are completed.)

We found our room to be large and clean, with new carpet, drapes, bed, and furniture. The bathroom fixtures had been updated as well.

The continental breadfast was good and the area was bright and well-maintained.

Staff was friendly and helpful.

We had a view of the river and marina from our room, and the location was convenient to historic Charleston, Plantation Road, and shopping.

While there is a fee, this hotel is pet friendly, and there are nearby areas convenient and pleasant for dog walking.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2008

I had a good three night stay here. It was clean, the view was nice and its in a good central location.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — small pool unheated
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Jacksonville, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2007

After receiving a free night stay coupon from another LaQuinta property, we decided to use it for a night to break up our trip back home.

At check-in, I asked if the room we had been assigned contained the internet access point. They assured me that it was nearby but not in my room and that the room was empty at that time. I told them that I was checking because that was a problem the last time we stayed at LaQuinta. They said that everything was working fine as far as they knew.

After checking-in, my children and I unloaded our overnight bag and got the room situated. The room was typical for the caliber of hotel. It was clean and stocked with towels and other amenities. It was on the ground floor near the pool, as I had requested. Then we went to dinner at a restaurant within walking distance.

When we returned, the children went to sleep while I attempted to connect to the internet on my laptop around 8pm. There was no connection and no access point in the vicinity of my room would allow me to connect. I called the front desk. They went down to reset the access point. 10 minutes later, there was still no connection. I called the front desk again and requested the number for support. After speaking to support and running through the steps that I had already done, again, it was determined that there was an issue with that access point and it needed repair. They would send out a technician in the morning.

I felt this was an unacceptable situation as I had spoken to them at check-in regarding the previous stay, at another of their properties.

The next morning, we went to breakfast and it was delicious! I spoke to the clerk at the desk and explained the situation. I asked for my free night voucher back as I'd had the same issue, again. She said that I couldn't have it back as it was already voided. So I asked for another voucher to replace it. She said she couldn't do that. I asked for the manager and she came to speak to me. She was very gruff and said that my night was free already so what more did I want. I told her that I wanted my voucher replaced as this was unacceptable. She informed me that they didn't have any on property but they would be getting more in from corporate and I could expect one to be mailed to me in a few weeks.

Then, we waited for the pool to open and played for a while before packing up and checking out. When I checked out the clerk took my key but said nothing. I asked if there were any charges or any messages. She said, "No, no charge. You got your free night." I had a long drive ahead of me with 3 small children by myself so I didn't get into it.

I've waited 6+ weeks now and no response. I have left a message for the manager and have still received no response. I will contact corporate now for resolution of this issue.

• Liked — The pool was just what we needed!
  • Disliked — Internet service unavailable!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Greenville, SC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2007

We stayed last night in room 511. I flipped on the light at 10:30 pm and it looked like the walls were moving ROACHES!!! Not only did the hotel staff not refund our $$$... they hung up the phone.

Lionel, the manager has not returned a single phone call.

We ran screaming into the night and drove 3.5 hours home. Our trip was ruined. I wanted to burn our luggage. WHAT A DUMP!

• Liked — great location
  • Disliked — roach infested. horrible staff and service
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2007

This is indeed a convenient place to stay in Charleston, since it's only a short drive from the heart of the city, but my third visit convinced me to never return. The first stay found the wife and I waiting for more than 2 hours (after official check-in) to get our room, while others were checking in right away. Even with that wait, we passed the maid coming out of the room as we entered. The next day, returning to the room after a day outt, our room had not been cleaned at 4pm. The front desk was no help in either of these situations, and acted unconcerned. My letter to corporate managed to comp the weekend charges and I recieved a gift certificate for a free room. The second visit was non-eventful and pleasant.
My third and last visit greeted me with an inoperable tv and only a single towel in the bath. Minor annoyances, really, but it took 2 visits to the desk to get a response because the staff was not answering the phone. I assumed the the second room I reserved for my adult children was ok, that is, until we were almost home, my daughter told me her pillow smelled of vomit and there was a dark sticky substance on the underside that she said looked like blood. If I had known that or seen the pillow I would have certainly taken this matter up with the "management". My letter to corporate has gone unanswered.
I am done with La Quinta.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Charleston Riverview? Share your experiences!