“Great stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 54 Hotels in Charleston
Lexington, Virginia
“Great stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

Stayed here 2 nights pre-cruise and it was great! Arrived late on a Wednesday evening, no problems checking in. Walked to the California Dreaming restaurant down the marina from the hotel for a late dinner which was AWESOME!! I had reserved a king room with a marina view and requested the highest floor available which is the 4th floor. Very happy to have gotten that request fulfilled as this was also a birthday trip for me! Only had breakfast on one morning of our stay and it was the usual waffles, oatmeal, bagels/donuts, cereal, stuff which was great. I had some toast and boiled eggs while my husband had a blueberry bagel. Worked out great for us! I used the fitness center both mornings of our stay and it was great. Only one treadmill, a bike, an elliptical, and some weight machine. I run so the treadmill was perfect for me. The first morning there was one other person there but no one on the next day so I had the place all to my self which was nice. They also have a tv in there which was great for having the news/weather on. They also have 2 computers anyone can use to check email etc in the lobby which was nice. Our room was great, very clean and very comfortable. No problems with anything except the batteries in the remote were dead, which was an easy fix after a trip to the front desk. The hotel does offer a shuttle to downtown where you pay $8 per person and you can ride it back and forth from downtown to the hotel and back all day long for that flat rate, which worked out perfectly for us. Even though we had a car we didn't want the hassle of driving/parking in downtown Charleston. Left our car parked here while we were on our cruise and had no issues at all, felt very safe leaving it parked there. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
albany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

Had a nice stay for three nights in January, with my wife and daughter and 2 dogs. Very nice location , minutes into downtown Charleston. Staff is friendly and helpful. Actually my only real criticism has to do with some of the other dog owners. Here we have such a dog friendly hotel management, and a few bad apples take advantage of this policy by not cleaning up after their pets outdoors.( Right along the street in front of the hotel are free clean up bags.) I think that's disgusting as a dog lover, imagine what non dog people think. Please clean up after your pets, and then everyone can enjoy this great hotel!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

Myself and two female companions stayed one night in late Dec. 2011. The room was clean, comfortable and felt safe. The price was very good. Access to the highway is very convenient. We'd stayed at another La Quinta in Jacksonville, FL the week after for two different nights and were pleased with the price and amenities there also, so we're pretty much sold on them for reasonable, clean and safe overnight stays while on the road. The complimentary continental breakfast was very adequate. I'd stay here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Short, easy ride into Charleston from here.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Warm Springs, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

Having now visited, I can see how some people think it's great, and others have complaints. There are 2 main reasons:

First, this property consists of 2 independent buildings. A newer, inside access building and an older, outside access (meaning all exterior doors). The older building really looks it on the outside, though the rooms were clean and have been renovated at least once, but probably not within the last 10 years.

And second, you either get Marina view, or Highway view (and noise, lots of road noise).

Combine the older building and highway view, and it's easy to see how someone could think this place doesn't live up to the reviews. That's where my wife and I were placed once we learned that the first room in the newer building was unacceptable (ignorant pet-owners who leave their barkers unattended ~ I'm a dog-owner, have traveled with mine and know she doesn't often bark but STILL take her with when we leave the hotel, it's just the right thing to do rather than force others to potentially have to listen to barking.) So off we were shuffled to the old building. Actually, it seems as though most properties with separate buildings tend to put the dogs all in the older/smaller one, wonder why they don't do that here?

Anyway, bad humans aside, the property is conveniently located, breakfast is on the nicer side of the low-end quality (i.e., doesn't hold a candle to Drury or Hampton Inn, but better than most continental options found elsewhere), and the eating area was never full while we were there. Our pricing was phenomenal (roughly half of anything we could find within the next 5 miles), but I also had a special promotion though one of my organizations. They really step up and provide good rates to this particular Org.

And the final word is that if I were headed back with my wife, we'd stay there again. If I'm headed back alone, I'll probably try to do something cheaper where access downtown won't be any kind of priority.

Room Tip: Request a Marina View and Main building, then hope and prey you get lucky and find you have respectf...
West Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

We spent one night here in December 2011 and thoroughly enjoyed it. The location is very convenient to downtown Charleston, West Ashley and the Folly road area. We booked a king room which was spacious and even though we ere on the first floor it was very quiet.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

Te previous reviewer said it best. Not much security, bare rooms, just shampoo and styrofoam cups. The GOOD thing (best, really) is that is was nice and cheap! All the other hotels were way overpriced, so if you don't spend a lot of time in your room and want to ave your money for other things, it an okay stay. Also nice that you can walk to California Dreaming from there.

Raleigh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

My husband and I have stayed at many LaQuinta Inns over the years, as we travel with a 70 lb. lab and have always appreciated their pet-friendly policy. This stay was particularly disappointing. The good first: the room, bathroom and linens were clean, the hotel is next to a marina with a nice view, nice flat screen TV with a decent lineup of channels, and is a short walk to a California Dreamin' restaurant, which had very good food. The rest: I have never seen a more threadbare LaQuinta - the room was tiny, with a king bed (really lumpy with small, hard pillows). There was a stand-alone closet, instead of a walk-in. The amenities consisted of one small tube of shampoo, and styrofoam cups instead of glasses. There was very little security, as all the outside doors stayed unlocked, and while we didn't feel unsafe, I would have if I had been by myself. The most annoying: it seems the previous customer had left a 5 am wake-up call, and the desk didn't clear it, so our first morning started at 5 am! We told the pleasant, but obviously clue-less front desk clerk and she assured us it wouldn't happen again. Well, of course, the next morning, it went off again at 5 am! (At check-out they took a few dollars off the bill for the inconvenience, but it was a very frustrating experience). This particular LaQuinta just doesn't live up to the expectation we had for the chain.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Charleston Riverview? Share your experiences!