This was our first visit to Charleston and we choose this hotel because of its location. That turned out to be a great decision. There are plenty of good restaurants nearby and the Charleston Visitors' Center is just two blocks north. Start your visit there, then catch the free Dash trolley just outside and leave your car parked. The trolley has thre different routes which can take you most places a tourist is likely to go (the one exception is the Battery area which requires a fairly long walk from the trolley route, so you may want to drive for that part of your exploring). Now to the hotel itself: you'll get the usual Embassy Suites experience - two clean, comfortable rooms with a spacious bath and excellent bedding, a free cooked-to-order breakfast in the morning, and a manager's reception every evening with free drinks and snacks. The building itself, despite being the former Citadel, is no old hotel showing its age; it is instead kept up very well. I'm not sure when it was last renovated, but the look and feel are of a modern facility. There are a couple of things worth mentioning to enhance your stay. First, the restaurant and the lounge area where the evening reception takes place, are both too small to handle the number of people. There is an exterior area which absorbs some of the spillover, and some of those having breakfast carried their food to the lounge and sat at the bar to eat. But if you aren't fond of eating or drinking outdoors in the heat and humidity, arrive for breakfast before 8:30, and be sure to find a seat for the evening reception a few minutes before it begins at 5:30. Once we mastered those tricks, we enjoyed each of our several days here. Some other reviewers have commented on the friendliness of the hotel staff, but we didn't find that to be the case. Perhaps we expected a bit more southern hospitality, but most of those we met were more stoic and reserved than friendly. It did nothing to detract from the excellent service, but it seemed a bit odd, especially given the location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A historic landmark, within the walls of the original Citadel, the Embassy Suites Historic Charleston is a grand restoration and is well located, adjacent to Marion Square, and walking distance to many major Charleston attractions including the College of Charleston, MUSC, fabulous restaurants and King Street shopping. Enjoy our complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast and nightly Manager's reception. We look forward to welcoming you to the Holy City with warm, Southern hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Orbitz, Hilton Hotels, Agoda, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Embassy Suites Charleston - Historic Charleston reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Embassy Suites Historic Charleston Hotel Charleston
- Embassy Suites Charleston
- Charleston Embassy Suites