“Great Hotel, Great Location” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Suites from $189/Night
Ranked #29 of 55 Hotels in Charleston
Mt. Pleasant, SC
“Great Hotel, Great Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night to have a "staycation" in Charleston. (We live right over the bridge in Mt Pleasant) Our entire experience was wonderfull and we got to play tourist. The hotel is walking distance from many of the best restaurants in Charleston. We walked around and got appetizers at 4 of them that night and had a blast. The room was perfect for us, small "bedroom" but also a living area with couch, tv and desk. We did use room service for dessert and that was very prompt and delicious too. And the full breakfast the next morning was great.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
ESsalescoordinator, Manager at Embassy Suites Charleston - Historic Charleston, responded to this review, February 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our historic hotel! We appreciate the compliments and will pass them along to our staff!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Arlington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

I originally arrived at the Embassy Suites for a three month rotation for work. When I arrived, I was in awe of the inside of the hotel with its hardwood floors, fountain, and artifacts. The location was right near downtown Charleston. The free breakfast and happy hour with appetizers was a nice perk. I had negotiated the per diem rate prior to booking and also made sure the hotel had hardwired internet. However, when I got there, there was no hardwired internet, only wireless. My room was in poor shape, especially for a guest staying for a long period of time (Room 113 I believe). There was sizable divot in the floor upon entering the bedroom. The bathroom was in the worst shape, black mold above shower, a live cockroach by the drain and shoddy painting throughout. There was also a lot of machine noise coming from somewhere near my room, making it tough to sleep. Due to the room experience and driving distance to work, I decided to end the three month stay early after a few days there. Aside from the room, the customer service was excellent for the most part. The concierge was extremely helpful, the breakfast crew was very friendly, and the valets were quick and professional. The only fault was when I called to check out early, the woman I spoke to at the front desk laughed when she looked at my original end date. This was not something I expected.

Room Tip: Not Room 113
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
I'm happy to hear that we were able to deliver excellent service to you. I will share your comments with our team members.

We apologize for what you experienced at our hotel. We are looking into the issues you stated and will be working to correct those problems.

We hope that what you encountered does not cause you to lose faith in our brand. The next time you find yourself in Charleston, please contact the Manager On Duty and he/she will personally select a room that fits your needs.
Ellicott City, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

Location is nice only a block from visitors center. The old citadel offers interesting rooms and friednly staff. We overlooked Marion Square and quick walk to multiple attractions. Would recommend

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
ESsalescoordinator, Manager at Embassy Suites Charleston - Historic Charleston, responded to this review, February 13, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

We truly enjoyed our stay at the Embassy Suites Charleston. Our 3rd floor room overlooked Marion Square, & the day we arrived there was a festival taking place down there . After listening to the music & crowd sounds wafting up, it didn't take us long to rush out to join the fun.
The room was comfortable & roomy, but it did seem that the bathroom was a little smaller than most Embassy Suites. I assume that might be due to the structural limitations of turning an old fortress into a hotel.
The space for the evening complementary cocktail reception was better than many we've experienced at other Embassy Suites, & breakfast was a five star event! I don't think I've ever had a better omelet.
The one negative is that we stayed over a weekend, & one of the elevators was broken the entire time we were there. To avoid the wait we just took the quaint spiral staircase instead.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience in Charleston with us! We are glad you were able to enjoy our amenities and the great location of our hotel! We hope to see you again soon!
Waxhaw, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

Stayed here for a girls weekend trip and we had a great time. The hotel has valet parking or a parking garage next door. The hotel features a swimming pool, a restaurant with free breakfast which was fantastic, a bar with 2hours (5-7pm) complimentary drinks. The rooms could of stood to be cleaned better but the beds were extremely comfortable. Room was plenty big enough for 3 women to share. Bathroom was on the small side however. The hotel itself is historic and beautiful. Hotel is said to be haunted and we are really interested in that and requested room M133 to experience the weekend in a haunted room. However upon checking in we were not given M133. I would love to stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a corner room which had a door that opened to a balcony. (this was not advertised and was a n...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
ESsalescoordinator, Manager at Embassy Suites Charleston - Historic Charleston, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
Thank you so much for the kind words! Please call us the next time you are in town and the manager on duty will do their best to assign you to the requested suite. We hope to see you again soon!
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

We stayed here when my son graduated from The Citadel. It was really neat to stay in the same rooms that cadets lived in so many years ago. The hotel is really lovely and the staff was very nice. The breakfast each morning was terrific and they provided a relaxing cocktail reception with delicious snacks.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
ESsalescoordinator, Manager at Embassy Suites Charleston - Historic Charleston, responded to this review, February 2, 2012
Thank you for your kind review! We hope to host you again soon!
Gibsonville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

My husband and I wanted to take a trip to Charleston for our 4th wedding Anniversary and we decided to stay at this hotel because of it's neat history as the Old Citadel building. I must admit, I was a little apprehensive to book here based on some of the reviews. I originally wanted to stay in one of the Bed and Breakfasts due to my recent great experience at a B&B in Savannah, GA, but we decided to stay here to save a little money with our ability to get the Military rate. We were very pleased with our choice to stay here and it exceeded our expectations. I have stayed at many Embassy Suites in the past and this one had it's own unique ambiance. The rooms were a little scantily furnished and the atrium wasn't as lavash as some Embassy Suites, but I felt that this fit the atmosphere of an old military building and the hotel still appeared beautiful as Embassy Suites are known for. My husband and I loved the exposed bricks in the suites and felt the rooms were to our satisfaction, since we were only really using the suites to lounge and sleep at night as we were out exploring during the day. The wireless internet seemed a little slow when both of us were on our laptops, but seemed to work fine when only one of us was using the net to browse.

The location of the hotel butts up against King's street with many shops and chain eateries to enjoy. It is a little bit more of a walk to reach the main downtown tourist areas like the Provost, Market street, and some of the old neighborhoods; however, we could easily walk the other direction from the hotel and reach the Aquarium and Fort Sumter museum. We mainly walked to all our attractions and the weather was great for this, but we noticed the Free trolley was available also if you're not up to the walking.

The staff was very pleasant and we enjoyed the greetings/noises of the live birds by the front desk. We were also very satisfied with the breakfast. We stayed a Thur-Sunday and only noticed lines for breakfasts at the later times (9-10am) on Sat and Sunday. The line was for the omelets and they seemed to be running smoothly with the system of writing down your order and then having your name called when your order was up.

After we left, we received a call from the front desk notifying me that a pair of glasses had been left in the room we were staying in. The glasses were indeed mine and I didn't even realize I had left them as we weren't home yet to unpack. The hotel staff promptly had the glasses securely packaged and mailed to me right away!

Overall, I would stay at this hotel again and recommend it to others who plan to travel to Charleston.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
ESsalescoordinator, Manager at Embassy Suites Charleston - Historic Charleston, responded to this review, January 20, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Historic Embassy Suites as your home away from home. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Thanks for your feedback!

Been to Embassy Suites Charleston - Historic Charleston? Share your experiences!