“Decent, convenient hotel with excellent staff” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #46 of 58 Hotels in Charleston
Johnson City, Tennessee
“Decent, convenient hotel with excellent staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed 3 nights over the 4th of July holiday. The hotel was clean and decent, but the rooms were small for the price we were paying. Breakfast was pretty good with hot food like biscuits, gravy, sausage plus all of the usual cold food. The staff were all helpful and friendly - a big plus for this hotel and almost enough to make me forget some of the downsides. Big downside - not enough parking and if you come in after 9pm in the evening, you must park next door in the bank parking lot which gave us concerns about security (all was ok though). Another downside was the small room (they are obviously older renovated rooms). We had a rollaway in addition to the king bed and sofa so space was really tight. The first rollaway we got ($10/nite charge) had a dirty footprint in it and wrinkles; the front desk promptly exchanged it for a clean one but that gave us a less than favorable impression. Housekeeping did a great job on cleaning and providing extra towels. The location of this is convenient for getting to downtown by car (or you can take the free trolley) and VERY convenient for getting to Hwy 17 if you want to go to Sullivan's Island Beach (great beach), Mount Pleasant, North Charleston, or even James Island. We would consider staying here again for convenience, but wish it was less expensive for what we got.

Room Tip: We were on the 7th (top) floor and had high ceilings (10') which helped the room seem bigger.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
comforinn11, Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for spending your 4th of July holiday at the Comfort Inn Charleston. I am very sorry that you were given a dirty rollaway. Our housekeeping department works very hard to make sure that each and every guest is pleased with their rooms. However this time we needed to check and double check.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Look, you're staying at Comfort Inn... Don't expect too much. But the service was very friendly and the hotel staff were very helpful. They helpe arrange our transportation throughout the weekend and provided advice on how to get around.

The one negative comment I feel compelled to make was that the trash can by the coffee station wa full to overflowing MORE than once during our stay. I understand it may be har to keep up with the crowd during the morning rush, but this is a health hazard and really detracts from an otherwise welcoming lobby area.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Comfort Inn Charleston. We sincerely appreciate the fact that you felt the staff was kind and helpful. We take pride in our southern hospitality. I am disappointed about the trash can in the lobby area. While our guest enjoy the fresh coffee we need to be more attentive during the breakfast hours.
Fort Mill, South Carolina, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

First, the picture that appears on Trip Advisor doesn't look anything like the hotel. (Just in case you were looking for it from the pic.)
There were only two things good about this hotel. One, the breakfast was okay and the housekeeping and other staff were very, very nice.
The hotel is old and beat up. It is too far from Charleston. You can take the Trolley or taxi which is kind of a hassle.
We are guests who will re-use a towel to "save the planet" but their towels were so thin...you could not re-use them. It was like using paper towels.
The chairs in our room and in the breakfast area were stained and gross.
Several people told us (in the elevator) they had issues with their bill. As we were driving home, they called us and told us our credit card declined and could we pay with another card. Well first off, none of our credit card would decline and secondly, we were there on Comfort Inn points so the visit was free.
I always judge a place by asking myself, "Would you go back?" Aaaah...not a chance. Sorry.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
We are very concerned that you would not come back to stay with us again. Please accept our apology for making your stay satisfactory.
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Located in the wasteland of West Charleston its only convenient to the VA Hospital (forget about walking anywhere interesting, you'll need to drive). Parking is thin, but we were able to park onsite. Booked a non-smoking room, which wasn't available when we arrived and were stuck in a smoking room that smelled like a bar. A morning shower consisted of the faucet launching itself from the wall and into my shin followed by a horizontal torrent. Breakfast room was wonderful. Couldn't wait to get out of there (and Charleston).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
comforinn11, Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
I am so sorry that you did not enjoy visiting Charleston. While we are not located in a wasteland our location is next to the free Trolley stop that allows every person the opportunity to tour this beautiful city. We are located less than 1 ½ miles from the historic district for those guest that choose to walk or ride their bike.
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed at this hotel recently for ten days when a family member was in the hospital.

For families of hospital patients, this hotel is in a perfect spot. It is directly across the street from the VA hospital, and within a very short drive from Roper Hospital and MUSC. There were some hospital families, but most of the guests seemed to be tourists. It is a bit of a distance from the Historic District, but there is a downtown trolley that stops in front of the hotel, and I saw hotel guests using it. Also, there are fast food restaurants within walking distance. There is not much parking, but I always managed to find a space in the hotel lot.

Checkin went smoothly. Upon my arrival, I noted that the room was clean. Some other travelers have described the décor as dated, but that is not an issue for me. It had a nice TV, and that is, in my opinion, more important than a bedspread or wall color.

I had several problems with housekeeping. And yes, I tipped the maid every day. I am not talking about the white glove test. I am talking about coffee poured into the sink in the morning still being there when I returned in the evening, bathtub not being cleaned, and paper goods not being replenished. The only thing that I could be sure was done was the bed being made. The thing that sent me down to management was one evening when I returned to the room, the door was left propped open! Fortunately, nothing was missing and there was no mugger inside, but still...

The front desk staff was mostly cordial and helpful. But for me the shining stars of the hotel were the breakfast ladies. They were always busy, refilling food items and cleaning. They were friendly and cheerful, even at times offering to refill my coffee for me. The breakfast was a pretty standard hotel breakfast, the usual cold and hot items, along with waffles and biscuits and gravy (my personal favorite).

I think it's safe to say that I had issues during my stay. But would I stay there again? Sure. I feel that the Comfort Inn offers good value in a very high-priced town.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
I am so sorry that you experienced problems with housekeeping. I sincerely hope that we were able to take care of the issues during your ten day stay with us. Thank you for mentioning the breakfast ladies. They do a fantastic job making sure that each and every guest starts their day with a good breakfast.
Dawsonville, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed 3 nights. Pros: nice, clean lobby. Checkin was very easy. Polite and helpful with information on best way to see city. Requested adjoining rooms and was accommodated without a fuss. Breakfast was good for a hotel, lots of choices. Breakfast staff were great and very helpful. Convenient for sightseeing and about 200 feet from trolley which you can ride for free and be dropped off several places to sightsee or change trolleys to go to another place.
Cons: A little hard to find first time. Parking very limited, especially handicapped (had to park under overpass of highway 2 nights and underpass had homeless people sleeping under it). Breakfast served sausage 2 mornings and bacon one morning. Would have liked bacon each morning. Yogurt flavor was limited, but eggs are freshly scrambled. When booking confirmed they had a pool, which they did, but it was CLOSED and I was not told that when I booked. Door to pool was unlocked so we went ouside to sit and look at the skyline and just talk the first night. The next 2 nights the door was locked. Not sure why the pool was closed because it was filled and filtering fine as far as we could see. We were given no explanation as to why it was closed. Couple across the hall had a fight at 3:00 am and was slamming their door over and over and some words in the hall.

Room Tip: If you want to be close to the pool, stay on 3rd floor. It is a rooftop pool which was great to sit...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us. We are always happy to hear that a guest sincerely enjoyed their stay. We are making every attempt to solve the parking issues. We now have a night time valet service that will take care of parking for our guest. I hope you will be able to stay with us again in the future.
Columbia, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

This hotel was recommended to me because I needed a place to stay that was located near MUSC and close to town. This was my first time I stayed in Charleston. I was on a short visit and need a place that had reasoning pricing and other ETC to make my visit welcoming. The visit here was great. The hotel was a little dated but it was still nice. The complimentary breakfast wasn’t fascinating and I ended up buying breakfast after eating there. The food that was served was all generic brand products. I understand that a hotel have to do what they can to stay on budget. I didn’t like the fact that if you don’t want your rooms clean you still have to get up and sign a paper.
If a person put up a ‘don’t disturb’ sign up that means don’t disturb. I was tired and restless. I had to rush to put on clothes for something that could have been waited on for later. Also with this hotel if you do reservation over the phone make sure they send you your confirmation number. I waited on mine and never received. The staff was very pleasant and smile to everyone that came through the door.

Room Tip: A very good location if you are visiting a love one or friend.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
comforinn11, Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Comfort Inn Charleston during your recent visit to MUSC.

Been to Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston? Share your experiences!