“Cool building, great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ansonborough Inn
21 Hasell Street, Charleston, SC 29401   |
Ranked #12 of 54 hotels in Charleston
Easton, Connecticut, United States
“Cool building, great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Only blocks from the center of the historic district and positioned so you can walk every where, we loved our weekend here. We came during the spring house and garden tour week. I loved the architectural features of this old cotton warehouse.

• Stayed March 2013
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor Community! I am so glad to hear that you had a delightful weekend with us and that you found our building interesting and our location in the historic district to be convenient to the Home and Garden Tours, as well as all that Charleston has to offer. Thanks again for choosing the Ansonborough Inn--I hope to see you again soon!

449 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed this hotel. We had previously primarily stayed at large 'box' . We are converts, only more personal boutique-like hotels. Our room was very large, 2 bed + sofa bed. The hotel was wonderfully convienent to all of the attractions of historic Charleston with a nice walk.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this great review on TripAdvisor! I am so happy to hear that the Ansonborough Inn has turned you into fans of boutique hotels. I am glad to hear that you had the perfect room and that you found the hotel to be conveniently located. Thank you for giving a hotel like the Ansonborough Inn a try! We hope to see you again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great location, great amenities.....we have stayed here twice and both times have been perfect! This is perfect for a couples get away or for a family gathering. We also loved the rooftop area to sit out and have a cocktail in the late afternoon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so muich for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. I am so glad to hear that you have had two perfect visits to the Ansonborough Inn--there is nothing we like better than seeing a familiar face walk through the door and being able to say, "Welcome Back!" I am glad you have had the opportunity to spend time on our rooftop terrace and enjoy the great views of Charleston. Thank you again for this great review--we look forward to seeing you soon!
Freeport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Charleston has long been on our list of historical places to visit and we finally made it there for a couple of days! We stayed at the Ansonborough Inn -- and we LOVED it!

After driving all day, check in was perfect. Thanx to reviews on Trip Advisor, we asked for a room away from the noise on East Bay Street and our room was extremely quiet.

Ansonborough Inn is a converted rice storage warehouse and the especially unique rooms are LARGE. Our room #212 was wonderful! It had high ceilings with great ceiling lighting -- and even a chandelier! Our king bed was incredibly comfortable and the bathroom was an adequate size. Everything was very clean! The staff was exceedingly friendly, always smiled and very helpful.

Two issues that concerned us when we were deciding where to stay were Location and Parking. We like to walk -- and we certainly did a bunch of that during our stay! The Ansonborough Inn is extremely well located! We walked to dinners at Fleet Landing and Poogan's Porch, as well as Toast for breakfast -- and explored EVERYTHING down to the Battery and back!

In looking at various Charleston hotels, I discovered quickly that parking is a problem in downtown Charleston. We drove our SLK and didn't want to park on the street, so we needed to find a hotel with its own parking lot. Ansonborough Inn has very convenient parking -- right across the street! We chose the room option that includes parking (as well as champagne at check in.)

The Wine and Cheese Social (be sure to try the Pimento Cheese Dip!) offered daily at 5 to 6 PM was a delightful way to relax after exploring and shopping all day. We loved the rooftop terrace too! Fresh air, a view of downtown Charleston and a glass of wine...............what more could you ask for?

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
WOW! Thank you so much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I want you to know that this review truly put a smile on my face. I am so delighted to hear that we were such a great part of a long-awaited trip to Charleston. I am so happy to know that we were able to help you with everything you needed and that you found every aspect of your time with us to be so pleasant. It is also good to know that you found both the parking lot and the location of the hotel convenient. Thank you again for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and for writing this review on TripAdvisor. I hope that there will be a second visit to Chalrleston and that I am able to say, "Welcome Back!"
Medway, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Ansonborough Inn for our first visit to Charleston. We arrived early evening and the desk attendant was very friendly and helpful. He said we received an upgrade and when we walked into our room, our mouths fell open. The room was on the 1st floor and quite large. A king size bed with a chandelier hanging over the bed, a sitting area with a leather couch and two large comfy chairs and another chandelier, a small kitchen area with sink, micro, coffee pot and table with a chair, many paintings of dogs and old southern style paintings. The bathroom was of adequate size. Even though we were on the street level the room was quiet. We did stay mid-week. Breakfast was good. My husband enjoyed the eggs which were a cheese omelet and I enjoyed the hard boiled eggs with fruit. The wine and cheese was lovely. I would give the Inn 4-1/2 stars but a few minor drawbacks which were they provide dial soap and I would've expected an upscale type of soap and the bed and pillows were adequate but not the most comfortable. But those issues were minor and I would recommend staying here. Oh and the location was quite walkable. We only took our car to see a plantation.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Ansonborough Inn on TripAdvisor! I am so happy to hear that our hotel was such a great part of your very first visit to Charleston. It is wonderful to know that we were able to upgrade you and provide you with something more than you were expecting. We try to keep our breakfast selection varied and it certainly sounds like you were both able to find options that appealed to you. I hope to see you again when you are able to plan a second visit to the Charleston! Thank you again for taking the time to write this review on TripAdvisor and, of course, for choosing the Ansonborough Inn!
Columbia, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My wife and I chose Ansonborough Inn during our anniversary, which was also our first trip to Charleston. The building itself is very interesting and we loved the decor inside, and the wide open lobby. For the size of the rooms (and the incredibly high ceilings) we paid a very fair price compared to other hotels in Charleston's downtown area. The room was very clean, and on the third floor where we stayed it was very quiet. The only drawback was that I had paid extra for a parking package that was supposed to come with a bottle of wine, and I also paid for a bottle of champagne to be in our room at our arrival (wanted to surprise my wife with it since this was our 5th anniversary), however when checking in the person at the front desk confirmed that I had purchased the bottle (he was incredibly friendly, but maybe don't announce it to the guests checking in, in case it's meant to be a surprise), but when we went to our room there was no wine or champagne. After a call down to the front desk an attendant was at our room with our wine and champagne very quickly, so it wasn't a big deal. But when paying this much for a room with some extras I had hoped the extras would be there upon arrival. Overall though we loved the hotel, the staff was incredibly friendly, rooms are HUGE and clean, breakfast was good, the roof top desk and view are beautiful, and the wine social every day was a great little bonus! Thanks Ansonborough for making our trip to Charleston an enjoyable and memorable experience, we will definitely be staying there again during future trips.

Room Tip: Our room on the 3rd floor was very quiet and nice, but some of the 1st floor rooms are directly off...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn to celebrate your anniversary and for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor Community. I am glad to hear that you found the hotel clean, quiet, and comfortable and that our rates were competitive with similar hotels in the historic district. I am so happy to hear that you found the staff friendly and accommodating and that hotel was a wonderful part of your first visit to Charleston. I hope that you received my email with my personal apologies in regards to the champagne oversight, as well as the credit I issued for the bottle. Thank you again for reviewing us on TripAdisor--I hope to see you again soon!
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We have stayed several times at the Ansonborough and always enjoyed it. We stop at the first SC Welcome Center over the border where they have faxed specials each day from hotels. They are usually very enticing but we look for the Ansonborough. Good points: ample free parking, nice big rooms with high ceilings, a quiet atmosphere, evening wine and cheese (which you can take up on the roof which affords a panoramic view of Charleston). The bathroom could do with a little more counter space and the bath is the smallest I've ever seen - it's only 12 inches high. Oh yes, it's a foot bath!

Room Tip: Get the Welcome Center special.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor and, most importantly, for choosing the Ansonborough Inn. It is great to know that there are so many aspects of the hotel that you have enjoyed over multiple visits to our property. In regards to the depth of our bathtubs, please remember for future visits that our Premium Plus rooms have very deep soaking tubs, perfect for those who prefer a bath over a shower. Thanks again for this review and I hope to see you again soon!

Been to Ansonborough Inn? Share your experiences!