“Fantastic city access!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 59 Hotels in Charleston
Bluffton, South Carolina
“Fantastic city access!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Excellent historic hotel just 2 blocks from everything Charleston has to offer. Walk everywhere or take a great bike taxi. Spacious rooms, very clean, nice staff. Neat rooftop patio that offers glimpse of river and city. Fantastic value. This was our second time and we will return!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and taking the time to write this lovely review on TripAdvisor. It is great to know that you have chosen to stay with us on more than one occasion and that both times you have had an excellent experience. I am also glad to hear that you had the opportunity to enjoy the rooftop terrace--it is great to see guests relaxing and making use of all the amenities that we offer. Thanks again for this great review--I can't wait to see you soon and say, "Welcome Back!"

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

This Inn is nice in many ways as long as you don't get room 221! When we first walked in there was a smell that seemed rather strong, but it progressively got worse over the next 15 hours. It was a putrid smell that air freshener could not disguise. We were so glad to finally leave. It's too bad I had to write this, cause everyone was really nice and the place looks charming. Candace was very accommodating and she did let me see the room before I booked but I felt like she knew about the odor.

Room Tip: Ask to go in the room before if your going to stay here.
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for writing this review, as well as for informing me of this issue on the morning you checked out. I wish that you had come to us before you spent the night in a room with a bad odor, so that we could have had the opportunity to accommodate you elsewhere in the building. Upon your bringing this situation to my attention, I immediately called our maintainance staff who were able to locate the source of the odor and cap it off. I'm glad that you found the hotel and staff pleasant and I do sincerely wish that we had had the chance to assist you with the problem after you looked at the room, which was even before you checked in. Thank you again for bringing this situation to my attention.
Waterloo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We started a two week southern road trip in Charleston ... as soon as we arrived, we understood that Southern Hospitality was something special! Wonderful customer service - we missed happy hour with a late arrival and were pleasantly surprised with a delivery of two glasses of white wine to the door - and a beautiful, historic property.

Details: Spotless. Wonderful two story suite, with lovely washrooms and excellent beds. Air conditioning.

Perfect.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review on TripAdvisor! It is great to know that the Ansonborough Inn started off your Southern Tour with the best of hospitality and charm. It's wonderful to hear that the front desk staff took great care of you and made you feel welcome and special from the moment you walked in. I am glad you were comfortably accommodated in one of our loft rooms and that you found the hotel convenient, clean, and friendly. Thank you again for this great review--if you ever head this way again, I hope I have a chance to say, "Welcome Back!"
Bloomington, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Set aside any doubts that you may have, and just book it! I searched and searched and could have saved all of my time if I had just booked when I found the Ansonborough Inn online the first time. Staff was welcoming and helpful. Breakfast was great. We told ourselves that we would just eat elsewhere if it did not fill us up, but we were stuffed and satisfied everyday, which saved money. Snack and wine were not to be missed and provided time for interaction with others guests. We took advantage of the views and relaxation on the rooftop deck. We even had the rooftop to ourselves on a regular basis. The inn must be a hidden gem. The location was perfect...even had parking (at a fee) onsite. The inn was full of charm and a smell of cloves in the air. Upon check-in we were upgraded and with a top level, corner room, noise was not a concern. Everything was clean. Our one year greatly enjoyed eating at the inn, the elevator, the size of the room, and the rooftop. I sure that I'm leaving something out as the inn was a wonderful experience. We will be back!!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with Room 337 Executive Suite
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
I cannot thank you enough for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and taking the time to write such a lovely review of our property. I am so happy to hear that you and your family were delighted with your stay and that everything about the hotel contributed to a wonderful vacation. It is also wonderful to know that you found us to be "family friendly" and that it was even perfect for your one year old. I am glad to hear, as well, that you found breakfast substantial and that everyone was well nourished and able to enjoy a busy day in Charleston. Thank you for this great review and I can't wait to see you and your family again soon!
cypress, tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We spent three nights at the Anson borough Inn, the ground floor suite was perfect.
the front desk staff are so helpful and gave us good tips about restaurants.
The hotel is spotless and well decorated thru out.
The breakfast is very adequate with fruit, cereals, a variety of breads, yogurt, coffee, teas, rooftop dining is pleasant.
The hotel was well air-conditioned and has a parking lot across the street, makes .loading and unloading very easy.
We would definitely go back to the Ansborough Inn !!

Room Tip: We enjoyed a ground floor room, very convenient.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and taking the time to write such a nice review on TripAdvisor. I am so happy to hear that everything about your stay was pleasant and that you had an enjoyable three nights with us. I love hearing that the front desk staff was able to help you with all of your needs and that the housekeeping of the hotel was flawless as well. It sounds like you had a chance to enjoy all of our amenities, both inside and out, and I am delighted to know we were a postive part of your visit to Charleston. Thank you again for this great review--I hope to see you in the future!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We spent three nights at the Ansonborough, our party was 2 adults and 2 teens in a suite. The hotel is spotlessly clean and the public rooms as well as guest rooms are thoughtfully decorated to reflect the history of the hotel. Superbly air-conditioned. The staff in all parts of the hotel are incredibly helpful and friendly. Rooms are cleaned thoroughly and quickly every day. Breakfast is good value with a wide range on their buffet selection. The location is great for downtown visits to the centre of Charleston.
We were touring the South and this was the only hotel that charged us a daily parking fee so factor that into the cost of your stay. Also, our room was on the river side of the hotel and we were woken early every morning by ships and noisy delivery trucks.
otherwise, we loved our stay. We would recommend the Inn very highly indeed.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the river side (see above)
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor! It is great to know that you found the hotel immaculate and that all of the staff you encountered were helpful and friendly. I am so happy to know that the Ansonborough Inn will be part of your family's happy memories of your trip to the South. Thank you again for taking the time to post this lovely review. If you make it this way again, I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back!
Knoxville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed here recently and truly enjoyed it. Staff is friendly and helpful. Our room was just off the lobby which was quiet. However, one late one night I had trouble sleeping because I could hear a family playing a computer game with their little girl. Didn't hear the game, just the people. They weren't being loud and rowdy, but I could hear them. My husband slept right through it. I stepped out to the desk in the lobby and complained to the night clerk and she had no idea which room it could be coming from. Considering this is a very old warehouse, I'm sure the accoustics are odd. Anyway, the nice clerk offered to fix me a glass of wine, which I accepted, drank it and fell right to sleep! And...hubby slept right through that, too. We plan to go back to Charleston next year and we will most likely stay there again. It's lovely and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2013
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and writing such a nice review about our property. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed so much about your stay and that you found the hotel lovely and comfortable. It is great to know that our night auditor was able to help you out, although I apologize that she couldn't figure out where the sound was coming from. Thank you again for taking the time to write this review--I look forward to having the opportunity to say, "Welcome Back!"