“Do Not Miss This Hidden Treasure” 5 of 5 stars

Ansonborough Inn
21 Hasell Street, Charleston, SC 29401   |
Ranked #12 of 54 hotels in Charleston
New York City, New York
“Do Not Miss This Hidden Treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Of all of the special places I have stayed, I really liked the charm and beauty of this historic inn.
Just recently refurbished we travelled here recently with friends and the stay could not have been nicer. OK, Maybe they can work just a little on their breakfast. Whole grains instead of sugary cereal is pretty simple. But their hard boiled eggs were good. The rooms are just so special. Each one has its own personality. Spacious and done with taste. The service was outstanding. I would stay again. And, by the way, a short walk to everything.

Room Tip: I think any room would be a pleasure, but personally I would ask for corner room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you so much for such a wonderful TripAdvisor Review. I am absolutely delighted to know that you liked the Ansonborough Inn so much. We try very hard to make sure that all of guests enjoy their time with us and it is great to hear that your visit with us was so special. Thanks again for the great review--I hope to see you in the future!

449 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed at this hotel sat week for 3 nights. We were told they "upgraded" our room. But the room was on the first floor right outside the desk where everyone checks in. The first night there was a lady in another room talking so lud she kept me awake. The Happy Hour of cheese and wine would be much better if the wine (Flip Flop) was worth drinking. Our last night there we bought a bottle of wine from the market across the street and took it up to the roof of the hotel and enjoyed the evening.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is not on first floor or facing East Bay. That street is very busy.
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review for TripAdvisor. I am glad that you found our location, value, and service to be exceptional. I am happy to hear that you discovered the wonderful wine selection at the Harris Teeter and were able to select a bottle that you preferred. Many people really enjoy our wine and cheese hour, so much so, in fact, that they have purchased the Taylor wine we serve to take home with them. The rooftop is one of our guests' favorite spots to enjoy any of our complimentary offerings (or their own refreshments), so I am happy to hear that you got to experience that as well. Thank you again for the review--I hope to see you in the future.
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We spent three nights at the Ansonborough Inn on a recent trip to Charleston for daughter's graduation from MUSC. The front desk staff at this charming and unique inn couldn't have been more courteous and accommodating from the initial call to make our reservations until check out. Great location for walking to Market Street, shops and some of Charleston's top culinary restaurants. And as an added bonus they offer a complimentary breakfast and wine and cheese in the afternoon. Both were very good but a more varied wine selection would have been nice for the afternoon reception. Also make sure you check out the rooftop terrace. Great views and lots of seating. The only flaw I can find with this inn is the lack of better soundproofing. But I was already prepared for this as others had mentioned it in their reviews. It was certainly not enough of a negative to cause us to chose another location for future trips to Charleston. We definitely will be choosing The Ansonborough Inn for our next stay in Charleston!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great review on TripAdvisor! It is so wonderful to find out that we were such a positive aspect of such a special family occasion. I am so happy to hear that the front desk staff provided a warm welcome and were helpful during your time with us, and that you enjoyed so much about the hotel. I am also glad to know that you found some time to enjoy the rooftop terrce, too. Thanks again for the great review--I hope to welcome you again in the future!
Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our short stay at the Ansonborough Inn in Charleston, SC. It is an absolutely gorgeous quaint inn, and the ambiance is second to none. It had such a classic charm to it. We stayed in a Premium Loft and absolutely loved it! It had tons of room for our 2 kids to move around and play. The exposed brick walls and big old wood beams added to the historic charm. It was beautiful decorated with paintings and the furnishings were terrific. The beds were very comfortable, and the breakfast was delicious. The location was fabulous for walking wherever we wanted to go, and close to market street. The front desk staff and management were very helpful and went above and beyond to make it a terrific stay. Make sure you spend some time on the rooftop terrace if the weather cooperates.

We will definitely be staying here again on our next trip through.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Wow--Thanks for the great review on TripAdvisor! I am delighted to hear that you and your family were able to book a Premium Loft! There are only two of these unique rooms in the hotel and they are some of the first to be reserved. I am also happy to hear that besides the room itself, everything about the Ansonborough Inn appealed to you and your family. It is wonderful to know that the staff made you feel welcome and that they were able to contribute to what sounds like a wonderful family visit to Charleston. Thanks again for the great review--I hope to see you again soon!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We spent a couple of days in Charleston and the Ansonborough was the perfect location to squeeze in as much as we could in our short stay. The service from registration to check in and check out was outstanding. We stayed in a Junior Suite which was a very nice spacious room. The location is great for walking around the historical district with plenty of shops and restaurants in walking distance from the hotel. The hospitality room and bar on the main floor are very nice. It is an old building and there were some monor flaws that could be found if you searched, but I expected as much going into the stay so was not dissappointed. The free breakfast was good and the wine reception was decent. The cheese offered for the wine reception was very good but the wine could have used a slight upgrade. Great rooftop area but was surprised when I realized that there was no bar up there. Had I known that we would have brought our own wine, beverages and snacks up there and enjoyed the view and weather. I will be more in the know for the next visit which I will certainly do next time in Charleston. Loved the classic feel of this hotel and felt the price was right for the service and location you get with the Ansonborough.

Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review on TripAdvisor! It is great to know that you found so much about the hotel to be outstanding and that our customer service was consistently superb. We like our guests to think of the rooftop terrace as an "extension of their room", so you would have been more than welcome to take any refreshments to the terrace! Thanks again for the great review--I hope to see you again soon!
Milwaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

My wife and I first stayed here 2 years ago with friends and were so impressed with it that we returned with another couple. It only got better. We stayed in a jr. suite, corner room ($165 plus tax per night) and it was fantastic. This is a beautifully restored building with great location ( we actually parked out car and for 2 days never moved it because you can walk to everything) excellent, helpful, friendly staff and fantastic roof top sitting area. Throw in the amazing breakfast and the complimentary wine and cheese every evening and you just can't beat this place. I would highly recommend the Ansonbourough and can't wait to go back a third time.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room, third floor if possible.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor! I am so delighted to hear that you and your friends enjoyed your time at the Ansonborough Inn and that you found us to be even better than you remembered! It's great to know that the staff, the amenities, and our convenient location were all top-notch and part of a memorable visit to Charleston. Thanks again for the great review--I hope to see you again soon!
south carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Wow we just got home today from 3 wonderful days in Charleston, if you like going back in time with modern touches this is the place for you, big rooms, patio on the roof, wine and cheese free in late afternoon, simple breakfast and walk to everything, oh also Harris Teeter across street,we will sure stay here again..only neg, wireless in room did not work well but we should not have been working anyways ha ha..

Room Tip: We stayed on 3rd floor as the outside roof deck is on that floor and easy to carry our drinks..Room...
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor! I am so happy to hear that the Ansonborough Inn was part of your memorable visit to Charleston. It is great to know that you you were able to enjoy all of our complimentary offerings and amenities. I apologize that the wireless internet gave you trouble; we have transmitters throughout the building to ensure that every room has access, so I am not sure what occurred during your stay. Thank you again for the great review on TripAdvisor--we hope to see you again soon!

Been to Ansonborough Inn? Share your experiences!