“superb” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   21 Hasell Street, Charleston, SC 29401   |
Ranked #11 of 58 Hotels in Charleston
“superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My wife & I contemplated early retirement after staying here.
What a professionally run, pleasant inn! The staff was cordial, the atmosphere was stunning, and the location perfect.
We arrived early and our room was ready, permitting us to wander the streets of lovely Charleston earlier than we had hoped.
As my wife said to me after our arrival, "Honey, you done good!" Can't ask for better than that.

Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a glowing review on TripAdvisor. It is great to know that you and your wife were pleased with our property and staff. I am glad to know that we were able to get you accommodated into your room before check in and that this gave you the opportunity to take advantage of your first day in Charleston! Thanks again for the great review--I hope to see you again you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

This was our first trip to Charleston and we stayed at the Ansonborough Inn for 5 nights. We loved it! I had asked for a quiet room and had a great one on the third floor. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever had at a hotel, the room was spacious with a nice couch and the bathroom was great. There was a little refrigerator in the room that we used for left over food so we could eat it for lunch the next day. The location was perfect on the edge of the historic district - close enough to walk but away from the noise and crowds. A Cruise ship docked while we were there and we could just see it from our window. The breakfast was very good with several choices - cereal, fresh fruit, yogurt, a hot choice, hard eggs, toast juice, coffee and the best hot cinnamon rolls! We also enjoyed the afternoon wine and snack bar and taking it up on the roof terrace was a bonus. All in all everything was top notch with a friendly staff and should we get back to Charleston would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: They have so many different types of rooms that you should just tell them what you like and I Imagin...
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Wow! Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review on TripAdvisor! I am so glad to hear that we were part of a wonderful trip Charleston. It is great to know that absolutely everything about the Ansonborough Inn was exactly as you hoped for and that you were able to take the time to enjoy our many amenities. The Cinnamon Rolls are one of the newest additions to our continental breakfast, so I love hearing that they are a hit! Thanks again for the great review and I hope that we see you again on your SECOND trip to Charleston!
Eastport, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

My wife and I recently spent four nights at the Ansonborough Inn and could not have had a better stay.We arrived nearly four hours before check in and our room was ready with a bottle of chilled champagne courtesy of a Trip Advisor coupon. The property is immaculate, well decorated and quite charming. Our room, a "spacious studio", was very comfortable with a small refrigerator and microwave as well as a nice leather couch. Every member of the staff was friendly, efficient and attentive. The breakfast room was always spotless, even when crowded with guests. The location of this Inn was perfect for us as we wanted a quiet location within walking distance of all the busy, loud parts of the city. A supermarket right next door proved to be very useful for a long weekend visit. Parking, usually an issue in any city, was convenient and worth the $12 per night. The best part is that the rates at this beautifully restored historic Inn were better than at some of the concrere box chain hotels which are not even near the historic district. We highly recommend the Ansonborough Inn.

Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great review on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time at the Ansonborough Inn and that everything about the hotel surpasssed your expectations! Thank you again for the terrific review--we can't wait to see you again you soon!
White Plains, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

My wife and I prefer small B&Bs but none was available for 3 days in Charleston this March. We decided to stay at the Ansonborough, which is a small boutique like hotel at the edge of the historic district. We were very pleased. The staff was warm and welcoming. The room was huge and comfortable, and the bathroom also big and clean. Breakfast was delicious, and there was wine, cheese and sweet goodies in the afternoon. Also, a small room with a computer for guests. Great parking lot across the street. The roof deck was very private and pleasant.
Although our room was on the first floor right opposite the front desk, it was extremely quiet.
The Ansonborough is not in the Center of the historic district but at the edge. A short walk to many wonderful signs and restaurants. We did not consider this a problem.
We loved the Ansonborough and will return.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor are larger - and not noisy.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a terrific review on TripAdvisor! I am delighted to hear that although you typically prefer smaller properties, you found the Ansonborough Inn to be to your liking. I am glad that you liked so much about the hotel, from the rooftop terrace to the complimentary offerings served in our hospitality suite. It is also wonderful to hear that the staff were able to help you with anything you needed. Thanks again for the great review on TripAdvisor--I hope to see you again soon!
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend. Everything was wonderful. The staff allowed us to check-in as soon as we arrived, and actually walked us to our room. All the staff was friendly and very helpful. The location and parking is great. We loved the wine and cheese hour. Would recommend highly.

Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you so much for such a nice TripAdvisor Review. It is great to know that you enjoyed your time at the Ansonborough Inn and that you would recommend us to others. Thanks again for the great review and I hope to see you again!
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is a very good small hotel in the historic part of Charleston, very near the waterfront & good restaurants. Old building with high ceilings, exposed wooden beams, elegant appearance. Large rooms, exposed brick wall, comfortable sitting area; also a large bathroom & good shower. Extensive continental breakfast - great cinnamon buns! All in all, great location, very comfortable, if a bit on the pricey side. Minor knock for not having a cooked breakfast available.

Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to hear that we were part of an enjoyable visit to Charleston and that you found our location convenient and our rooms comfortable. Those Cinnamom Rolls that you mentioned are one of our newest breakfast items, so it is particulary great to know they are hit! Thanks again for the great review and we hope to welcome you again soon!
pearland, T
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I traveled to Charleston for the first time ever to photograph my friend proposing to his girlfriend during the Cooper River Bridge Run. My friend booked a room at this hotel, gave them his credit card number and got a confirmation from the hotel.

During my stay, I was asked for my card for incidentals (I assumed). Upon me leaving, I realized the hotel charged me for the room to the tune of $1000 for the stay. When I called and asked them to reverse the charges, they asked for my friend to call and verify his card to finalize the transaction... which he did.

When I checked my account 2 hours later, there were 2 more charges for $840 ($1640 total) for the same room that was not supposed to be charged to me. So in total, I was charged $2700! I was told the person that made the mistake was gone for the day (it was Sunday) and would take care of the issue the following day.

On top of all this, the cab company they trusted so much was called to take me to the airport for my travels. Flight was at 6:40, so the cab was reserved for 5:30. Cab did not show which caused me to miss my flight and essentially turn my 1 way trip to Houston (2 hour flight) into a 20 hour standby fiasco that ended with me renting a car from San Antonio and driving back home.

The level of incompetence is absolutely unbelievable and I will let everyone I know to avoid this very beautiful hotel due to the lack of customer service they have on the back side.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
We are glad to hear that your stay merited such a high rating in location and cleanliness scores and we regret that your experience with the cab company not arriving at its scheduled time tainted your overall experience. A few things that may assist you and other travelers in the future would be to bear in mind when you schedule your transportation that most airports recommend travelers arrive two hours before their flight departure time. As you point out, you had a 6:40 am flight and a 5:30 am scheduled cab. The drive from our Inn to the airport is approximately 30 minutes, so allowing for more time would have been beneficial. Secondly, at the time of check in, hotels will obtain a credit card for payment of the room charges and incidentals. It is important to make the front desk aware at the time of check in if there is a question about billing arrangements as it will alleviate any potential billing issues at departure. Finally, we are glad that the charges and credits, all of which were issued within 15 minutes of each other, did effectively reconcile through your financial institution and you were not charged for any portion of your stay with us.

Been to Ansonborough Inn? Share your experiences!